It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Confused peacock visit... very cool photos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The back story:

We used to have neighbors (a mile or so, down the road...); they had a few peacocks. When they moved away a few years ago, they turned the birds loose. I have been hearing the male, on and off since then, but I hadn't ever spotted him... until yesterday. Evidently, he has decided that turkeys are the "in crowd"...

The quality isn't great... the birds were a few hundred yards out, in poor lighting conditions...

Still, very cool to find out that he is still around... he, and the big tom seemed like pretty good buddies...

edit on 27-3-2020 by madmac5150 because: Photo added

edit on 27-3-2020 by madmac5150 because: Title edit

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: madmac5150

Thats great,

Course I'm a turkey. What a silly question.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Good snaps. Wondering if he's 'gettin'' some with that marvelous display.

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I just wish the lighting would have been better... a polarizing filter would have really made the colors pop, but it was just too dark outside to use it. Heavy overcast...

Nikon D5300/ 300mm telephoto...

edit on 27-3-2020 by madmac5150 because: Details added

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   
It's hard for me to tell with those pics (awesome btw he's still around) but besides the male turkey those ones around him in these pics look like peahens not turkeys? Is it just me or could you tell in real life as opposed to a photo?

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lilroanie
It's hard for me to tell with those pics (awesome btw he's still around) but besides the male turkey those ones around him in these pics look like peahens not turkeys? Is it just me or could you tell in real life as opposed to a photo?

There may be a peahen or two in there, but the majority are wild turkeys. It's far easier to tell with binoculars. Now that I know he is around, I will definitely keep an eye out for him... I'm hoping for better weather, but it doesn't look promising...

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Lol cool, i could have swore I saw the little feather sticking up on their heads

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 10:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lilroanie
Lol cool, i could have swore I saw the little feather sticking up on their heads

Peahens are longer, and more slender than the wild turkeys. They also have a more upright body posture. Binoculars give a more "3-D" image, than a standard camera. I really hope I can spot that flock again, on a sunnier day...

The wild turkey hens, will start approaching the property closer, as it gets warmer... we are very familiar with them. When they venture on the property... they freak out our ducks, and rile up our domesticated turkeys (we have 3).

posted on Mar, 27 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

So the question would be... are the offspring Peakeys or Turcocks?

To the OP... thanks for posting.

I have a few rafters of wild turkeys wandering around here too and seeing a peacock in the mix would thoroughly throw me.

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari

originally posted by: Snarl

So the question would be... are the offspring Peakeys or Turcocks?

To the OP... thanks for posting.

I have a few rafters of wild turkeys wandering around here too and seeing a peacock in the mix would thoroughly throw me.

LOL. I have MS, and my eyes were very "greyed over" yesterday. It's like watching TV, with the contrast turned all of the way down... when I first saw him, I thought... "Why is that big arsed bush, moving around with the wild turkeys?"

I was sincerely confused, until I grabbed my binoculars... I couldn't believe it...

I didn't have time, to find my monopod... I just started shooting... I hope to catch him better, next time...

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 01:26 AM
link   

They just let the birds loose???? Poor things must have been used to being fed and looked after. I guess that one is doing well thank God. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

They just let the birds loose???? Poor things must have been used to being fed and looked after. I guess that one is doing well thank God. Thanks for sharing!

We knew them, and offered to take the birds. They refused, unless we paid them a lot of money. We could not afford what they were asking. We did try...

When they left, they just turned them loose. We call that, a total d!*k move...

I'm glad to see that they aren't just surviving, but thriving.

We just had 4 inches of fresh snowfall (and, thunder snow), yesterday. That has kept the wild turkeys tucked away in the mountains. We have another thaw upcoming, over the next week. (The weather in the N. Rockies, can be schizophrenic until July... no joke).

I'm keeping my camera at the ready... I'm guessing that, he will be back...

edit on 1-4-2020 by madmac5150 because: Comma crazy

new topics

top topics

join