It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

exercising your freedoms [ americans ]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:35 AM
link   
in thread after thread and post after posts - we have americans proclaiming that they will never give up thier " freedoms "

so one simple question :

how many americans - operating a motorvehicle in the CONUS :

exercise thier freedom to drive in the left hand lane ???

you are free to drive in the left hand lane - arnt you ? - if not why not ??

if you are - why dont you [ drive on left ] ???????????????

never had a coherent answer

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
in thread after thread and post after posts - we have americans proclaiming that they will never give up thier " freedoms "

so one simple question :

When I was growing up in a small town, my friends and I would drive in the left hand side of the road all of the time. We pretended to be in England, complete with accents. lol

Granted, it was usually late at night without anyone on the road, but we still did it. lol Definitely not going to do it anymore, because I'm a stubborn old man that wants people to stop being jackasses, and I really don't want to lose my license.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Because it would kill someone.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

whoo hoo

so - you surrender a freedom - to reduce the chance of you or others dying

yes

lets parse that to a soundbyte to drive you up the wall [ pun intended ]

thats - you surrendered a freedom to buy increased saftey

like i said - never a coherent answer

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I don't want to die, myself, although I do drive down the middle of my road every single day. I just get over when a car is coming.

I also went to walmart yesterday, and didn't put gloves on. Less worried about the virus, than dyeing in a car crash.

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

so one simple question :

This is just idiotic and a total misunderstanding of the "freedom," Americans value and talk about.

I'm guessing that's not by mistake from this poster.

Anyway, we all make a Social Compact when we join others in a society.

In particular, it's very clear and documented in the founding of the United States.

It's in our founding documents. You've read them, right? If not, here's a basic outline of how people make a government (for whatever reason) and make certain agreements for the good of all - some of which mean you're not free to do whatever you want all the time...

But, you knew that.

I'm sure you also know that we're all FREE to petition for change to that Social Compact ala Locke and Hobbes because the government's power is solely derived from the consent of the governed.

You just choose to be a argumentative douche. I get it.

Study the following if your question truly comes from ignorance:

First Principles

Locke

Hobbes

State of Nature

But I'm pretty sure your question, while still ignorant, comes from another place altogether.

edit on 26/3/20 by 35Foxtrot because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
We are exercising a freedom...
Who said we are not ?
A freedom to not be like the Europeans.
And we do drive on the left when passing a vehicle .

edit on 3/26/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: 35Foxtrot

no ignorance hear - and yes i have studied hobbes and locke

and my thread actually supports what they wrote

congrats for getting the end point of this

the real problem is your fellow americans - who do not undferstand what thier freedoms really are - and conflate :

i want to do what ever i want - screw you

for actual rights and freedoms

its endemic on ATS

thus the thread .

have a star - the only one i am giving - so far

you are at least partially correct

the social compact is nesecary for humans to live in any sort of civilised setting - but it does involve surrendering some freedom - for the sake of civilised co-existance

which is why the thread OP - used the example of driving on the right [ for americans ]

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   

a reply to: 35Foxtrot

no ignorance hear - and yes i have studied hobbes and locke

and my thread actually supports what they wrote

congrats for getting the end point of this

the real problem is your fellow americans - who do not undferstand what thier freedoms really are - and conflate :

i want to do what ever i want - screw you

for actual rights and freedoms

its endemic on ATS

thus the thread .

have a star - the only one i am giving - so far

you are at least partially correct

the social compact is nesecary for humans to live in any sort of civilised setting - but it does involve surrendering some freedom - for the sake of civilised co-existance

which is why the thread OP - used the example of driving on the right [ for americans ]

I think you are the one who is partially correct regarding the Social Compact.

The governed freely agree to this contract to leave the State of Nature. One is always FREE to go back or leave for another society that meets one's needs better.

In addition, one of the First Principles I linked above and which you fail to understand is the right to revolt.

So, in conclusion, one is always FREE to either join the compact, live in the state of nature or revolt (peacefully through the ballot or not so peacefully) to change the current government.

I understand getting back to the state of nature and it's perpetual chaos isn't so easy anymore, but I truly doubt anyone alive today would realistically choose it or understand what it would truly mean. So that's probably not as realistic an option as it once was.

However, feel FREE to vote or start a movement or whatever. You are. Free, that is.

Your freedoms (not just Americans' freedoms) come from our creator, so no matter what, even the government you FREEly associate yourself with, can't take them away unless you let them. That Social Compact is, in itself, a freedom.

Your failure to realize that and to understand certain concepts (and make posts about them) is also a freedom. Enjoy!

top topics

join