It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Off licences an essential in the UK

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   
So folks today the UK government added off licenses to the list of essential retailers. www.bbc.co.uk...

I wonder why? Lol!!

I’m assuming they think that if they take the booze supply away they’d have a major problem. Brits do love our booze and with the pubs and bars shut, and a lot of people with no work. It’s one of the only place left for some to get a drink.

The day we found out that the pubs were closing, the general public basically raided the supermarkets and shops for anything.

Well apart for Corona beer. Lol

Any other reasons than keeping the public placid, can ATS think of why they’d keep them open?

Cheers!
edit on 25-3-2020 by Funem because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Funem

To avoid the inevitable hospital visits by scores of blokes going through withdrawl with the DT's.

edit on 3/25/2020 by Krakatoa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Take away the drink and watch crap really hit the fan. LoL

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Do they do 24hr delivery?

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Tim2win

Dialabooze do.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Just right now looking for a similar marriage destroying service in Spain.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   
For the benefit of confused Americans, shall we explain the name?
An off-licence is a shop licensed to sell alcohol for consumption OFF the premises.
Only a smaller number of locations, like pubs and restaurants, can sell it for consumption ON the premises.

edit on 25-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Off sales for those of us in North America.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Tim2win

Crack Coca'ine springs to mind, that will do it.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 04:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krakatoa

To avoid the inevitable hospital visits by scores of blokes going through withdrawl with the DT's.

There will be nearly as many women self medicating.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   

same here in most of canada. liquor stores beer stores and all canabis shops classed as essential service.

medical mj.
alcoholics who would have withdrawls
I also think that these stores would be the first to be broken into if they closed.
dont need stupid crimes when everything else going on.
The rest of us just appreciate they are still open.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

My Mrs came home with parma violet Lambrini and a litre of Gordons Gin.

So she's a few steps ahead in the self-medication game this evening.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   

We call our liquor stores 'bottle-o's' here in Australia. Every nickname has to end in an o or y you see ie; Robbo (Robert), Smithy (Mr SMith) a Bricky (brick layer) and so on.

Pretty smart decision by our governments. Aussies and Brits absolutely love a beer.....infact it's part of our culture for better or worse.

I can categorically state there would be anarchy and looting in my part of regional Australia if people were nto able to get their booze and stuck at home indefinitely.

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Funem
I wonder why? Lol!!

Cheers!

Perhaps it was because the Off-licenses didn't close...well, not all of them.
D'yuh see what I'm getting at?
round here, not all OL's were open, not all were closed, hardware places remarkably were closed...both retail and builder supply...those shops are already on the list.

It's about criticism being levelled at business people being open even when allowed to, by nasty or sometimes, very scared people, Vis-à-vis Government rules given about zero contact
The same complaining crew don't complain about the supermarkets staying open though, and they as busy as ever..since there is floor tape designations...ha ha! some places had a 1 metre designation already printed before the 2 metre change.
I pity the police, now getting new powers...that might be obsolete in any 24hr period...it's all crazy stuff going on!

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Basically the UK government reinforcing their position as the countries only legal drug dealer.
But they will only sell you the hard stuff(booze)and make a #load of taxes from it.

Of couse any other drugs are completley evil and turn people into raving loons with rotted brains who go round dribbling,puking,pissng themselves,slurring their speech,beating up their spouses or anyone who looks at them the wrong way and giving themselves lifelong physical and mental diseases...oh but hang on isn't that what alcohol does to many people?

No I must be wrong if our government allows it.
It must be that nasty MJ stuff that makes everyone crazy dribbling violent addicts.

edit on 25/3/2020 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words

edit on 25/3/2020 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

We call our liquor stores 'bottle-o's' here in Australia. Every nickname has to end in an o or y you see ie; Robbo (Robert), Smithy (Mr SMith) a Bricky (brick layer) and so on.

Pretty smart decision by our governments. Aussies and Brits absolutely love a beer.....infact it's part of our culture for better or worse.

I can categorically state there would be anarchy and looting in my part of regional Australia if people were nto able to get their booze and stuck at home indefinitely.

Its actually dumb how they've done it.

4 litres of 9.5% wine? That's a no
9 litres of 5% beer? Sure, why not. And you can have a litre of 37% spirits as well.
2 litres of fortified wine? That's a no.
1 litre of fortified wine? Sure, but we only sell 750ml bottles, and only 1 per customer per day.

Oh and we won't tell you this till after 10am when it comes into effect.

Bottlo-hunt time... we'll see in 3 weeks what they say.
edit on 25-3-2020 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   
If people sobered up and realised they voted for an idiot who always got by with a witty retort and sound bite, with nothing of any substance, they will be angry as hell.

The whole handling of this situation has been a shambles. We had an heads up on how to deal with it, but the economy was more important than lives. Well, it’s going to cost a lot more economically as well as in lives.

edit on 25/3/20 by Cobaltic1978 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
in the usa, liquor stores are considered essential but aa meetings for alcoholics were shut down. Go figure. They are worried about alcoholics going through withdrawals but not worried about recovering addicts. a reply to: Funem

posted on Mar, 25 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The off licences thought they were part of the allowed "corner shop" thing so stayed open anyway plus they more often than not sell other stuff like...loo roll !

top topics

<<   2 >>

join