It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Our Thing" is coming to an end.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Whether you believe that CoViD-19 is a threat to our civilization, or merely that the shutdown is a threat to our economy, you cannot avoid the result that the world we had constructed for ourselves is coming to a close.

If someone's wish were granted tomorrow, and everyone with this disease were instantly healed, there'd still be this entire mess to clean up:

-specially and hastily constructed negative-pressure units on hospitals need to be decommissioned.
-the logistical nightmare of restocking all the toilet paper in groceries.
-restocking the masks in all the hospitals.
-waiting for all the newly-unemployed to find new jobs in the wake of the virus.

Some parts of the economy will never recover.

-Some folks may look at how much money they saved, by not going out to eat, and not blowing 75 bucks at the movies. They may decide they didn't need that, and may Never return.

-the number of college kids defaulting on student loans because they'll have to repeat (and re-pay for) the current semester.

-the collapse in the housing market for all the buyers being evicted from their homes due to missing months on their mortgages.

-People unwilling to return to public spaces and "wait in line" to catch a disease at say, the DMV.

Then add to it the REAL threats...

-a smaller harvest on America's farms this fall, because of labor shortages, loans for fuel and harvesting equipment, difficulties in getting parts and repairs in time for harvest, etc.

-drop in gasoline production due to loss of demand and OPEC price wars.

-failure to provide the services that government essentially promises. Having the courts closed has left a nation of lawsuits with no resolution possible for the coming weeks...

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Well yeah, but the air is clean now.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

as long as the wind isn't blowing from the direction of the hospital...

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Graysen

I'm just wondering how this is going to end it's not slowing down and I'm betting it's not seasonal like the Flu .
edit on 3/24/2020 by Gargoyle91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   

This has been pretty similar to my thoughts.

Theres opportunity there, in my opinion, but its a difficult situation.

Ive shared my own ideas on it.. and in my situation, thats about all I can do. Weve never had an easier way to communicate, share ideas, etc.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Gargoyle91

One thing that we are learning is that there was a whole big chunk of the economy, that wasn't really necessary. It was based on people burning through their excess money every month.

Maybe even most of it.

Another is that most Americans, if they believe they will not die from this, have no sympathy for the "old and the weak" who will.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Good news.read all about it...

turns out God didn't want this world where sorrow and tears exist to go on past 6000 years......we are at 5992

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Which God?

The Hindu faith has probably been around for a lot longer than 6000 years.

Our Earth solidified 4.54 billion years ago, plus or minus 1%.

That’s a fact, and if your belief is not aligned to this fact, then you are what we call “wrong.”

This age is arrived at by several cross-checking lines of evidence, but the great antiquity of the Earth has been apparent for much of human history.
edit on 24-3-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Some folks may look at how much money they saved, by not going out to eat, and not blowing 75 bucks at the movies. They may decide they didn't need that, and may Never return.

I’ve been doing nothing but eating out. Take-out and delivery. Sushi yesterday and Mexican food today. There isn’t hardly anything at all to eat at the grocery store.

While what you say may be true for some folks, there’s others who have found themselves eating out more than ever. Maybe it’ll even out.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

I'm just wondering how this is going to end it's not slowing down and I'm betting it's not seasonal like the Flu .

It's not the flu (not even related) and virologists believe it could very well end up being seasonal. Because it's new we just can't know right now.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
Good news.read all about it...

turns out God didn't want this world where sorrow and tears exist to go on past 6000 years......we are at 5992

This is where I'm supposed to say that dinosaur fossils were put here to test your faith.

And that your post was put here to test our patience.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: jtma508

originally posted by: Gargoyle91

It's not the flu (not even related) and virologists believe it could very well end up being seasonal. Because it's new we just can't know right now.

Well if its seasonal, I suspect ventilators are going to be a new must have item under the tree next year.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Changes in individual households will be minor. The hoax is being exposed, and all will return to normal. Americans are not wussies.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:01 PM
link   

It seems that so very many are addicted to the drama surrounding an event, any event. We will look for the worst case stats, try to shoehorn in any previous ideology we might have, and for the most part.. Have exactly the same conversations as always with "virus" tacked on.

I mean, we are seeing things like "deaths per hour," real time counters of cases/deaths plastered over a quarter of the screen, "recovered vs deaths," and a distinct exploitation of peoples ignorance about viruses & diseases (exponential growth!).

A huge amount of "shocking" information is literally just how these things spread, behave, etc. Im torn on that though.. If more people knew, and they are freaked out now.. I dont know how they would react.

I dont even think folks want to be addicted to the same dramas that have been amplifying for over a decade, they just dont know how to do anything else.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Changes in individual households will be minor. The hoax is being exposed, and all will return to normal. Americans are not wussies.

That's borderline delusional

I really wish I could put them rose tinted glasses back on it would be nice

But no matter what happens hoax or mass death the one thing that wont is normal that # is long gone better to just rip that bandaid off now

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

The hospital nearest me is adding a negative-pressure unit onto its campus so that the virus won't spread. It was supposed to have 50 or so beds when it opens this weekend. It is already half full.

Are the patients on respirators crisis actors? When the nurse takes their vitals, measures their pulse-ox, is the machine saying their blood oxygen is drifting down below 85% a hoax? Is the county health examiner in on it, when he fills out the death certificate?

There is a lot of red tape involved in custody of a dead body.

you know; To prevent hoaxes.

So the handful of corona-corpses listed as dead from Covid-19. Are those rubber dummies? Are they the bodies of people killed in car wrecks, "touched up" to look like they died of bronchial occlusion...?

For people who work in the medical field right now, "hoax" isn't a magic wand the magically waves away all the evidence of humans suffering and dying, and their families left to grieve at leisure. It doesn't dispel the corpses down in the morgue or the stacks of tainted laundry that probably cannot be cleaned with the usual bleach....
edit on 24-3-2020 by Graysen because: If everything's a conspiracy, then nothing is.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen
a reply to: Gargoyle91

Another is that most Americans, if they believe they will not die from this, have no sympathy for the "old and the weak" who will.

For sure. CV19 killed what empathy and compassion we had left. We are revealed as a much more mercenary culture, ruled by greed, than I ever really imagined.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 02:43 PM
link   

We'll weather this storm like we have all others.

Some will die, but most will live.

Dying is a part of life. It's just the end part.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen
most Americans, if they believe they will not die from this, have no sympathy for the "old and the weak" who will.

That right there exemplifies the disgust I have with the left. They actually believe those of us who believe in civil liberties, and that ending the world economy because of this particular virus is a stupid and really bad and useless idea, means we don't care about others.

Nothing could be further from the truth, and you know it. In fact, we care a great deal more than the bleeding heart leftists, who are only interested in maintaining the appearance of caring.

Again, wrt this virus - quarantine those at risk - lockdown (real quarantine) all group home situations where the elderly and at risk are concentrated, require care-givers to live in home with them for a full month. Then provide superior guidance to those who don't live in group home situations, and to their loved ones, so they can all be on the same page when it comes to protecting them as much as possible from the risk.

And then, yes, let those of us who have nothing to fear get on with the business of the world, so that the elderly's retirement funds in the stock market will bounce biglier than ever before, and they (and we) can go back to their (our) lives in peace.
edit on 24-3-2020 by tanstaafl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

That would depend on the strain placed on our respective health care establishments nevermind a multitude of other factors of concern.

It might be a bit major dependant of the social circumstance and preparedness for a multitude of households.

And keep in mind the world is somewhat larger than just the USA, and intrinsically linked in ways that are not easily repairable.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join