It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will states close their own borders?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   
www.jacksonfreepress.com...

Governor Rejects State Lockdown For COVID-19: ‘Mississippi's Never Going to Be China’

My state has shut down, I agree with it. Some states don't. I think we are going to see some interesting things
between states real soon.

Mississippi ranks #46 in nation for education, coincidence I think not.
edit on 24-3-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
Mississippi ranks #46 in nation for education, coincident? I think not.

It's coincidence. If you're gonna call out a whole state for being uneducated you may want to make sure you spell the insult correctly.

As for the topic, I'm not for Check Point Charlie opening up on every road leading into and out of each state because people have whipped themselves into a panicked frenzy.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Now that makes sense! I totally agree with you on that.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   

I fixed my spelling mistake, see that's education!

Nice try trying to compare a typo to the very possibility of letting lots of people die.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

do states have a legal mandate to close tan interstate boundry ??

the number of federal laws that claim federal juristiction for " ........................ across a state line " is quite large - and encompassing

i is obviously quite ignorant of US law - but - thats my first thought

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   

I doubt my governor closes the state borders but it might be better if he did. Right now the infection and death rates in Kentucky are very low compared to the surrounding states and it would be nice if it could stay that way. People have been really great about keeping their distance from each other and taking this virus seriously here and I give the credit for that to our newly elected governor.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I did see Kentucky is doing quite well, I'd be worried about the people from Illinois coming over.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: TDawgRex

Now that makes sense! I totally agree with you on that.

Wow! Haven't seen you around in ages.

Welcome back!

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Nice try trying to compare a typo to the very possibility of letting lots of people die.

Nice job being a hysteric and wanting the states to shut down interstate travel.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
States don't have enough resources to close their own borders. Why would they even bother to do this? About all they could do would be to stop cars with out of state plates. Interstate trucking would be exempt.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Just to be clear, you are for the "police-state" approach then?

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Nice job being a hysteric and wanting the states to shut down interstate travel.

Let the states that want to protect their people do that. If your state doesn't agree, let them.
We'll see who comes out ahead.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
It's a great thing that pathogens respect borders or we'd be screwed.

Oh...

I suspect states will, at some point, likely do all sorts of things as this continues to flare. Closing their borders to traffic is possible... And if they'd have done it a month ago it might have had an effect. Maybe.

Now it's all about perception and not prevention.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Let the states that want to protect their people do that. If your state doesn't agree, let them.
We'll see who comes out ahead.

'Let the state'. SMH.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:54 AM
link   

a reply to: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

I did see Kentucky is doing quite well, I'd be worried about the people from Illinois coming over.

Illinois, Indiana and Tennessee have higher numbers because they waited longer to enact precautionary measures while our governor has been "on the ball". I am concerned about "spilling over" from neighboring states- I've noticed a lot of Indiana license plates doing their shopping here when I've had to go out, but honestly I can't blame them for just trying to get the things their families need that they probably can't find at home.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

And if they'd have done it a month ago it might have had an effect

It's not too late, containment by location seems exceptionally effective.

theconversation.com...

In this way, governments around the world are facing a hard choice between these two violations of individual rights (information exposure and movement restriction). South Korea has chosen the former, but France and Italy had to choose the latter. The former requires the necessary infrastructure and a culture that tolerates a certain level of surveillance, neither of which can be created overnight.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   
If you're really upset with your state not closing it's borders, you can always drive to a state that has closed theirs.

*Wink Wink*

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

I don't disagree, voluntary quarantine is the right idea. But borders are lines on maps - particularly inside of nations. I spent a few weeks on vacation in a spot where I was in one state but the store directly across the street was in another.

This is why state restrictions won't work.

I'm in the suburbs of a major city debating issues but, in reality, the fact that I'm voluntarily isolating means little if others are not. Even if everyone around me also sequestered, for dozens of miles... All it takes is one pocket of people who refuse to muck up the entire concept. The sick will carry and stay contagious for awhile, potentially passing it back and forth among themselves and it living on everything they touch for weeks.

There's a small town I used to drive through, Sylva. Right at the border of NC and Tennessee. Little city in the middle of nowhere in a valley. Kinda wish I was there now because if folks in places like that agree to mitigation strategies, this will probably miss them.
edit on 3/24/20 by Hefficide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:48 AM
link   

What would be the point? All 50 states already have infected people.

posted on Mar, 24 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: FauxMulder

What would be the point? All 50 states already have infected people.

Some states are much worse off than others

top topics

<<   2 >>

join