It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

dasa firefly[lampyridae]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 11:26 AM
link   
could any body tell me the faith of dutch lampyridae[firefly] air craft
i just got his name mayt be the pic

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally from here

Lampyridae is proof that Europe does have the ability to prototype in complete secrecy. Begun in 1981 and revealed only last year, Lampyridae progressed as far as wind-tunnel tests of a manned three-quarter scale model before the German government canceled the program in 1987. Though there is no evidence tying the US to that decision, German sources say the US Air Force was amazed -- and not a little rattled -- to discover that Lampyridae utilized the same radar-scattering "faceting" technique employed by the then top-secret F-117 Stealth Fighter. Unlike the F-117, Lampyridae was designed to go supersonic. It was this aspect, some German engineers believe, that led to a concerned Reagan administration exerting pressure on Bonn to ax the program.

Looks like it was quite an interesting aircraft, maybe the americans aren't so far ahead after all....

[edit on 11/3/2005 by Slashpepper]

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   
why this project is shelved.
is there any pressure on german to abolish
or this project was failed in his goal

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 08:26 PM
link   
I heard both dutch and german, but I never heard of this project, however I have seen the pictures.

So who made this?

It probably WAS canned under pressure of the US...

BTW that thing looks like it's something for the earliest 3D games

[edit on 11/3/2005 by GrOuNd_ZeRo]

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
This was german project, and it was not cancelled due to US pressure (in fact US was already developing 2nd gen stealth - B-2) , but because lack of funds after the end of Cold War and reunification of Germany. The project was never revived, because it became obsolete in the mid nineties.Also remeber that this was just a model - airframe for wind tunel testing, not operational aircraft.
Also I highly doubt it would be able to go supersonic, it was supposed to be more something like german F-117.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Well I suppose the Mako will be Germany's stealth plane, however, it's just an advanced jet trainer and light combat aircraft...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
After cancellation of the Lampyridae project, the newly established DASA company launched the project TDEFS (Technology Demonstrator for Enhancement and Future Systems). Once again it was faceted stealthy demonstrator, but a much universal then Lampyridae, optimized for the european battlefield. The second important change was the using of the two engines. The basic concept was tested on a serie of the small models in high speed wind tunnel called FTTU (Fliegender Technologie - Trager Unbemannet). But in this time the faceted technology was evaluated against curves as obsolete and the program was cancelled.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Interesting, I'd never seen an image of the TDEFS proposal before, nice find!

I can't help but wish they'd built it.

posted on Mar, 23 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   
you got a picture? it has been removed?

ok seenthe picture now thanks.

[edit on 23-3-2009 by DaRAGE]

new topics

top topics

join