It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What’s YOUR plan to save small business and your jobs?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
It appears the stimulus relief will primarily go by way of checks in the mail to individuals and with some intent that the money will almost entirely trickle back to small businesses.

Big businesses will recover and they will get quick relief from the federal government if they need it.

Small businesses are at very serious risk, right now, and if they are not able to pay their employees through this and reopen their doors, widespread high unemployment will become permanent.

Individual spending of stimulus money will trickle directly to Amazon, major chains for groceries and other goods (online and off), banks, and utility bills...

…it will never have a meaningful effect in time to save them and avert a long time economic crisis, if that’s the plan we’re going with.

This economic crisis makes us vulnerable in many ways, we can’t even risk losing small businesses.

It’s up to employees who work at small and medium sized businesses — that are laying off employees or facing that inevitability — to save them and their jobs. Time to get serious and stop waiting for further instructions. This is what we have to do. (If you disagree or think it’s wise to sit back and wait for the government to protect them, this is not the thread for you.)

So, what ideas can you contribute that might help your own small business or the one you work for?

On my family’s part, I’ve encouraged my husband to look into organizing an employee support program through which those who can & want to participate could offer to temporarily defer a percentage of their wages without interest, until his employer can pay it (and hopefully without resorting to a profound number of layoffs).

Also, we are taking both our utility companies’ generous offers that effectively allow us to defer paying those bills without late fees, interest, and fear of disconnection.

If the utility companies need relief, the government can give it to them and I absolutely believe they would.

I should also say that we don’t actually intend to spend any of what we would be paying in utility bills, it’s just there as peace of mind and in case of emergency. I am hanging on to it as long as they allow us to.

Anyway, given that, I think our family can get by on a 10-15% temporary pay cut. With agreed terms, of course, but the gesture is genuinely in good will and with the greater good in mind.

Think about what might work for your business or the one you work for and share it in the comments.

Where are opportunities to divert some of the individual relief opportunities directly to hurting small & medium businesses?

Ideas that work can and would inspire others and..

..it might work to pull the rug out from anyone who may be intentionally trying to kill small business, increase unemployment, and redistribute wealth amongst individuals…some of which already live off tax money so their *income* is not affected, at all, and they aren’t going to do much that will help small businesses.

edit on 3/18/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Getting people to stop their effin out of their gd mind panic.
Panic is , at least , what helped to bring on the Great Depression.

/END RANT

edit on 3/18/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
This seems like a way to simply funnel money.

It's going to keep the debt bubble from popping, for abit anyway.

The optics just look and sound better with a little marketing.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

Getting people to stop their effin out of their gd mind panic.
Panic is , at least , what helped to bring on the Great Depression.

/END RANT

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

They have us locked in our own homes now...regardless of whether we are more panicked about losing our jobs or COVID-19.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

I already bought some gift cards for local businesses and have used carryout services.
We eat at a local place about once a week for breakfast or dinner so I figured I would keep the money heading their way even though the waitresses don't get much help.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JinMI
This seems like a way to simply funnel money.

It's going to keep the debt bubble from popping, for abit anyway.

The optics just look and sound better with a little marketing.

We need to do our own funneling...to small businesses.

Take any deferment or relief opportunities you can for the time being and funnel it to small businesses. The government will take care of big businesses, banks, utilities that want or need relief...they already are as you pointed out.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
I don't get corporate bailout/stimulus in times like these until people can get back to work.

If employees can't work, laid off or hours cut, giving corporations money won't do a damned thing...because the people are still not working, meaning the businesses do not function.

Give the workers the money, and save the "bailout" when business resumes.

And I am not an hourly employee at a retail or CS job.

ETA:

People who live paycheck to paycheck, in these markets, will suffer along with the business. Help the people. Those with children, families, who have little to no savings.
edit on 18-3-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Keep spending like that! We all need to spend at small businesses every chance we get.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: Bluntone22

Keep spending like that! We all need to spend at small businesses every chance we get.

There's a local Greek restaurant and a local Chinese restaurant (and I live in a small town), that I will frequent. Maybe more than I already do.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I am essentially saying the same thing. We want employers to be able to keep paying their employees rather than lay them off.

They need their income, not a stimulus check that will also go to plenty of people who didn't work, anyway, and rely on tax dollars as their primary income.

We need to save people who work from losing their jobs.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Leaders of the world to get together at least in a teleconference and agree to lock down share trading, freeze share prices and take up the slack even if it does increase national debt for the duration, already many are seeing this as the worst crisis since WW2, it is not actually but it is seen as such since no other disease in recent time's has received such media attention, hype or potentially been so deadly to so many and since during war national debt always goes up then why should this be any different.

Government's should make it illegal for business to close over this period - AND for a period of recovery that may be twice as long following the crisis - and cover the cost of wages and freeze mortgages entirely for this period while it will also therefore be necessary to insulate the bank's both during and for a short period afterwards, eviction's should be halted except in dire circumstances (i.e. reason's other than people being unable to pay rent or mortgage during this period) both during the crisis and for a period of grace following it - maybe even up to six month's while the economy (Real world job's, production, export and import) recovers.

Lock down should be total in the short term - why - the virus can then run it's course in the infected whom can be identified and treated with minimal exposure to other members of the public, once the virus has run it's course in a country isolation from international sources of potential re-introduction of the virus should remain in place until it has been completely or nearly completely eradicated OR until a viable and working vaccine has been both developed AND distributed.

Corrupt organizations such as the Gate's foundation known AND PROVEN at least as far as many of there victim's and the Catholic Church in Africa as well as other sources in India are concerned should be barred from this as they have shown a deliberate policy of tainting vaccine's in the past with birth control (chemical neutering) compound's in third world country's and I have no doubt they would also love to do that to us in the first world since in there twisted and severely misguided mind's they actually believed they were doing something good for the world - they obviously were not but hey look at all the anti human population propaganda and brainwashed belief's that air on this site's thread's alone as well as the mainstream media - and ponder the fact that the government's of the world actually agreed to cut there population's - then think again on if this is a natural or artificial outbreak - AND if that matters if those behind those twisted policy's are willing to use it either way for there own agenda.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   

link   

a reply to: Liquesence

I am essentially saying the same thing. We want employers to be able to keep paying their employees rather than lay them off.

They need their income, not a stimulus check that will also go to plenty of people who didn't work, anyway, and rely on tax dollars as their primary income.

We need to save people who work from losing their jobs.

I know. These two restaurants are VERY small. Chinese restaurant is the husband and wife, period. Sometimes their children help (like, kids) with orders, no waitstaff. The greek restaurant has a very small staff some cooks and cashiers, no waitstaff.

But if people stop coming because of all this, their business suffers.

I do get what you mean about businesses who have more waitstaff and etc. We're on the same page. I was just speaking to where I live, small town.

link   

a reply to: Gothmog

They have us locked in our own homes now...regardless of whether we are more panicked about losing our jobs or COVID-19.

The dont have my old a__ locked anywhere....
And wont .
I like my freedom.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm in Washington state where it's not so good, but my job is still okay. Everyone except non-essential office staff are reporting to work and producing product still. Not sure how long it will last, but the best thing here is to keep working daily, and not cave in to the panic. I have already seen office gals panic because one of the estimators went to Seattle. "Don't touch anything on his desk, he was in Seattle!"

I am not afraid of this. I don't care either way, it is what it is.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:05 PM
link   
We need more threads like this on this subject. S&F. I have guarenteed (if there is such a thing) income from my Air Force retirement, so I'm not worried about my personal financial situation. I intend to keep shopping my local small businesses to support them. Just got takeout from the local bar/restaurant today. He is trying to keep his place open so his kitchen staff don't go broke.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

I already bought some gift cards for local businesses and have used carryout services.
We eat at a local place about once a week for breakfast or dinner so I figured I would keep the money heading their way even though the waitresses don't get much help.

Been sending my husband for coffee every morning. I like the small local shop over Starbucks.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 10:01 PM
link   
The world has literally gone into survival mode, but this should not be a reason to take off your business hat. We are all facing an additional amount of responsibility, both financial and emotional, and at time of apparently hopelessness, we must use our rational and optimistic business head to help us, and others, through this.

Accept any help you can for yourself and your employees. Look at what you can gain from this instead of what you may lose. Have faith that business will always be required in society and that society is always a part of business. Like we have seen with the panic buying, greed comes from fear. A good business head has no fear.

Personally, for the next few days I will focus on myself and family. For a short time my efforts are best served on a personal level. Once there are signs of stability then business can be addressed with a positive and practicable attitude, with a plan of returning to normal business within the coming weeks.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join