It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.


Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.



page: 1

log in


posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 09:48 AM
in the form of high-power microwave (HPM) weapons. As their name suggests, HPMs generate an intense "blast" of electromagnetic waves in the microwave frequency band (hundreds of megahertz to tens of gigahertz) that is strong enough to overload electrical circuitry. Most types of matter are transparent to microwaves, but metallic conductors, like those found in metal-oxide semiconductor (MOS), metal-semiconductor, and bipolar devices, strongly absorb them, which in turn heats the material.
I have just fineshed the Magnetron any ideas where i could set it off

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:27 PM
did you build a magnetron? why not jsut use one from a microwave? Oh by the way, unless you have a way to direct the waves, then your gonna cook yourself and catch cancer..

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 11:00 PM
HERES an idea... take 100 microwaves from a store, rip off the bottoms, re-wire them with no safety devices, and plug em all in. SURE you get alot of cookin' in front of them. I have thought about mounting something like that to the bottom of a helicopter, then using it to "microwave" enemy trops. Problem is it is too fragile, slow, and flys too low.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:52 AM
Probably wouldnt be powerful enough... You could make a better one of your own if you have the l33t electrical skillz

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:45 AM
Hanging one from a helicopter? Wouldn't that kill the people in the helicopter as well?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:04 AM
You need to use waveguide to direct the energy, and it disipates VERY fast. A 5 megawatt radar that is tracking a target just a few miles away gets returns that are far less than 1 watt. If you're going to fly that close to troops you might as well drop a bomb and kill them instantly instead of radiating them and hoping 20% of them develop cancer fourty years later.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:10 AM
I am currently working on a project to use a magnetron out of a 1100w microwave to ignite magnesium power. When completed I will be able to disperse fine magnesium powder into a room and ignite it using a magnetron. This will cause the room to light up. The only thing I am worried about is containment or the microwaves I am using fine metal mesh as a shield but if my construction is faulty I may end up sterile ….lol

[edit on 8-3-2008 by oracle007]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 02:19 AM
Just want to point out magnetrons can be quite lethal and not to fiddle around with them if you dont know what your doing they can hold a very high amount of power even when disconnected.

Not really pointing this out to anyone whose posted already as I'm sure you all know this already just in case someone reads this and figures it's a good idea to rip his microwave apart without knowing the dangers.

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:18 AM
System Defense,

Teknikal is correct...messing around with magnetrons can be very dangerous. Same with the powersupply end of a microwave oven.
Maggies tend to have a very high shell voltage on them in addition to the RF energy generated by stimulating the cavitys between the magnets.
I have a couple of magnets around here from an aircraft search radar set. Some of these magnets are very powerful.

None the less you need to be very careful in messing with one of these ...powersupply wise and also RF Energy wise.

The radar sets I have seen of recent have a built in dummy load off the side of waveguide where tune ups can be done without transmitting through the actual antenna.

As this is in the Weapons section, I dont recommend such a tool as a weapon as it is often slow to get results unless the target is very close to the transmitter...meaning the user/operator.
IVe been around guys and operating antennas..not radar but very high frequency and power ..where the guys didnt know the antenna was transmitting and the guys operating did not check for workers around the antenna before they hit the TX/key switch. THe guy leaning up against the antenna got a burned backside. We all got down off that platform immediately.

Nonetheless like some of the others on this thread, I dont recommend this unless you have very specific experience and the test equipment to work

I often wonder how much certain neighborhoods are getting in RF bombardment by the various cell/pager towers so heavily dotting the landscape in citys and rural areas. They are cranking some watts out of those units.
Also wonder what the sickness and burn out rate is of the people who service these towers/repeaters. Is there even any data being taken on this??
Just some random thoughts.


[edit on 8-3-2008 by orangetom1999]

posted on Mar, 8 2008 @ 08:43 AM

Originally posted by orangetom1999

Teknikal is correct...messing around with magnetrons can be very dangerous. Same with the powersupply end of a microwave oven.

Very, very true. The average home microwave will have a 2200 volt transformer that can kill a person. Nothing to play with unless you know what you are doing.

Just as a side note and something a person may want to check into before they make the magnetron ray of death by cancer; you may need a radio operator license depending on the country you live in. You are making a radio that broadcast a radio wave. Some countries do not like their citizens "exploring" in this field. Some countries limit the frequency that is allowed for microwave devices to transmit on. It might interfere with something they are doing and they would consider this very bad. Anyway, it's just a thought....

new topics

top topics


log in