It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Universal and reusable virus deactivation system for respiratory protection

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
There is a global shortage of masks...N95 and otherwise. I have a friend who is a critical care nurse, she's now working without a mask because her hospital doesn't have enough.

About a month ago, I was told by a small hardware store near me that they were instructed to send their N95 masks to China back in early December. Whether this shortage was intentional or not, who knows? But it is a fact that people were discouraged from wearing them unless they were ill.

Yet a cheap and easy solution has likely been at our fingertips the whole time:

Universal and reusable virus deactivation system for respiratory protection
Scientific Reports volume 7, Article number: 39956 (2017)

Abstract
Aerosolized pathogens are a leading cause of respiratory infection and transmission. Currently used protective measures pose potential risk of primary/secondary infection and transmission. Here, we report the development of a universal, reusable virus deactivation system by functionalization of the main fibrous filtration unit of surgical mask with sodium chloride salt. The salt coating on the fiber surface dissolves upon exposure to virus aerosols and recrystallizes during drying, destroying the pathogens. When tested with tightly sealed sides, salt-coated filters showed remarkably higher filtration efficiency than conventional mask filtration layer, and 100% survival rate was observed in mice infected with virus penetrated through salt-coated filters. Viruses captured on salt-coated filters exhibited rapid infectivity loss compared to gradual decrease on bare filters. Salt-coated filters proved highly effective in deactivating influenza viruses regardless of subtypes and following storage in harsh environmental conditions.

Our results can be applied in obtaining a broad-spectrum, airborne pathogen prevention device in preparation for epidemic and pandemic of respiratory diseases.

Link

100% survival rate. Reusable. Cheap. Salt and water are plentiful. A can of salt costs about .50¢. They are safe to handle after 30 minutes and reusable.

The same researcher recently said this:

"We’ve tested our system on three different influenza viruses and have shown that the virus on the surface of a coated contaminated mask is inactive within five minutes and completely destroyed within 30 minutes," says Choi. He believes that the technology should be equally effective against coronavirus.

The university is now looking for corporate partners to help commercialize the coating, with hopes of having a product on the market within 12 to 18 months.

Link

I've only found a few articles on this and I raise my eyebrow at that.

My family has been wearing salt coated masks I made at home since the get-go and so far, so good. I used 1/4 cup of salt dissolved in 12 oz. of purified water and soaked batches of masks overnight, six at a time. Then I dried and effectively cured them in the warming drawer under my oven which took about 6 hours. They don't irritate our skin or have a funky smell.

Take it for what you will or not at all.

I just feel compelled to share this info and hope others do, too.

edit on 3/18/2020 by MotherMayEye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Just go to Menards and buy a a couple of bug zapper tennis rackets and make a electronic mask out of them.

It could be pretty interesting and keep you alert, it will definitely keep you from touching your face.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ha ha...I think I will stick with the salt method...

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Pretty cool
I love cheap and easy methods, so is any normal mask for this okey ? I dont know about face mask generally...i dont even have face mask.

But how to drink beer with mask on

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

This study used regular surgical masks...the ones that are ineffective with this virus. They were 100% effective when coated in salt.

But if I didn't have any masks, at all, I would makeshift one and coat it using this method...and I would feel confident about it. But that is just me. The science is easy to understand and makes sense.

You may want to switch to margaritas and just skip salting the rim.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: MotherMayEye

Okey thanks! I am going to do this with your instructions , first is buying face masks.

Is himalayan salt okey? margaritas okey too hmm

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Kenzo

I would think so...it's 98% sodium chloride.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Good to know... VERY good to know -- thank you!

I know nothing about the science behind it, but it makes sense. Salt is used as a preservative -- basically killing bacteria and other nasty things that would spoil food.

And drinking salt water for a sore throat or toothache (infection) are age old home remedies.

I'm not surprised salt would be effective in this way as well. Good news!!!

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

Good to know... VERY good to know -- thank you!

I know nothing about the science behind it, but it makes sense. Salt is used as a preservative -- basically killing bacteria and other nasty things that would spoil food.

And drinking salt water for a sore throat or toothache (infection) are age old home remedies.

I'm not surprised salt would be effective in this way as well. Good news!!!

I hope people will share this with anyone they think might be interested...

My nurse friend is employing this method now that her hospital is out of masks.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I'll give it a shot, we just found a supply we have had for more than five years from when my Dad(RIP) was going through chemotherapy we all got used to using sterile protocols even got a UV3 light that supposedly zaps everything. But we didnt have masks and Dad made sure we had some and now we can reuse them too.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Glad to hear people are finding this info useful! Everyone has salt in their house...I have a water purifier, and I know that bottled water is getting scarce...but it's pretty cheap and easy to purify water on your own using activated charcoal filters.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Interesting

My order of 10 surgical masks came from amazon yesterday. I'm not sure if the quality is any good because this is the first time I've ever had any but for the price which was just over £6 I'm more than happy to reuse them if it's possible.

How have we only just found this out? is there more evidence of this being effective?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
a reply to: StrangeQuark96

It's been tested with other small respiratory viruses and results in a 100% survival rate using the method indicated.

According to the researcher who conducted the study, it stands to very good reason that it would be equally effective with this coronavirus...same scientific principles apply.

I made six at first....had about 20 masks I didn't treat. We have a choice which ones we want to use and always wear the salted masks when we have to go out.

I've treated nearly all the masks I have now. My husband keeps one in the car and uses it every time he goes grocery shopping...and I emphasize the point that he is using and reusing it.

Again, so far, so good here and I live in a downtown area in the biggest city in my state.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: StrangeQuark96

And, yes, this study is CONSPICUOUSLY missing from the dialogue, IMO.

We have a dire mask shortage and this researcher is having to try to find someone to produce these masks?

Ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Good for your friend. Gotta love the resourcefulness and ingenuity of people fighting this.

Given the shortage of face masks, I'm wondering how effective this could be with household items converted to makeshift masks, bandanas for example, similar to how cowboys use them to filter dust while riding on the range. It wouldn't be ideal, obviously, but perhaps better than nothing?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

That's how I feel. If I had to makeshift a mask...I'd treat it with this salt solution and feel good about it, too.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
During the Swine Flu pandemic, a hot tip was that the virus would die at modestly high temperatures, like 130 F. Everyone was using a hair dryer blowing up your nose for 5 minutes 3 times a day. This was so popular that some appliance companies made a little hand held hot air blower with two nose tubes. Probably a Chinese company. I have not heard this mentioned as a layer of protection yet. Thoughts?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: newthings

Another important fact that eludes us...how does heat affect this virus? It must destroy it at some temperature...what temperature?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:35 PM
link   

I've been thinking about a simple way to use elastic to make a fitted mask out of a bandana or piece of cloth, that most anyone could do themselves. I have a ton of fabric from my mother that I can practice on until I get it right. (She'd like her fabric being put to good use!) And if I can figure it out, I'll be happy to share.

My husband is considered essential support services, so I don't expect he will stop working completely even if a "shelter in place" order is issued. He has a couple masks he's re-using (blows them out with the air compressor at night), but those aren't going to last forever. I want to have something for him. Thanks so much for this.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
a reply to: newthings

Another important fact that eludes us...how does heat affect this virus? It must destroy it at some temperature...what temperature?

I've seen 86° thrown out...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join