It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People in their 30s intubated from CV19 in SFO - true?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Heard a story today from a person I work with that there are some otherwise healthy people in their early 30s who contracted CV19 and are now intubated in SFO.

No pre-existing conditions. Nothing medically extraordinary.

The person making these statements has connections to SFO but I couldn’t find a thing online even reporting anyone under 40 in the SFO area being admitted for CV19.

Has anyone heard of this?

The sounds a little outlandish to me but I figured if anyone has heard of this - it’s someone on here.

If it’s true - that’s a game changing account. But, I suspect it’s an exaggeration or hyperbole - fortunately.
edit on 18-3-2020 by EnigmaChaser because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-3-2020 by EnigmaChaser because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

I'm going to go with complete BS. How does my info invalidate yours? Say we call it a draw.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

I'm going to go with complete BS. How does my info invalidate yours? Say we call it a draw.

BS was my reaction as well. But - trust (myself), but verify.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   

this from a nurse in seattle..... "I purposefully have not said or posted much on Facebook, but I feel that the time has come. I’ll fully admit that 2 weeks ago I wasn’t worried about the virus. I was gravely wrong. Today, I’m scared and worried about what’s to come.
The government and CDC are limiting the amount of tests we can do and are doing other very shady things and that’s all I feel comfortable saying on this platform. My hospital is already running low on supplies and next we are going to have to put ourselves in danger by not having the proper protective equipment to care for these patients. We haven’t even had the major influx of patients that other hospital in the area are seeing, but its coming. If the curve doesn’t flatten soon, we will be having to make choices on who gets to live and who gets to die. This also includes all of the people who are coming into the hospital for unrelated virus issues.
For those of you who think that there’s still not many cases, or that you or loved ones are young and healthy and not going to be infected, you’re wrong. They’re also not telling you that young 20 to 40-year-olds who are otherwise completely healthy are starting to die from this. They’re not telling you that they are absolutely refusing to test children for the virus, even when they have all the symptoms. What they’re not telling you, is that it is possible that this virus is mutating.
That is all I feel comfortable saying right now, but I’m encouraging every single one of you who sees this to be prepared with food and medical supplies and to #ing stay inside. A lockdown is coming for everyone. If that doesn’t help then martial law is coming next. Please stay safe and be prepared." *SNIP* Mod Edit
edit on 3/18/2020 by semperfortis because: Removed personal FB Link

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:39 AM
link   

1st question - why is " SFO " magicvally different to the rest of the world ?

numbers ? " some "= at a minimum 2 - out of how many ???

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I can't speak to Frisco, but there's this being reported in Belgium:
Coronavirus doctor says lung scans for young patients were ‘nothing short of terrifying’

A Belgian doctor working to battle the coronavirus says he’s treated several seriously ill young patients — and their lung scans were “nothing short of terrifying,” according to reports.

Dr. Ignace Demeyer, who works at a hospital in Aalst, said an increasing number of people between the ages of 30 and 50 have presented with severe symptoms, despite having “blank medical records” that show no underlying conditions that would make them high-risk, the Brussels Times reported.

“They are people who do not smoke, who have no other conditions such as diabetes or heart failure,” Demeyer added.

It's possible that we're hearing more about the elderly because they are more likely to die, not just because they are more likely to develop complications. The young are not immune, just probably recover better and more often.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

1st question - why is " SFO " magicvally different to the rest of the world ?

numbers ? " some "= at a minimum 2 - out of how many ???

Offhand.

San Francisco (not SFO. SFO is the international airport: San Francisco/Oakland) has a very large Asian population; primarily Chinese.

This has been true since the days of the gold rush.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:47 AM
link   

It's possible. There are a lot of addicts and homeless in their 30's whose, metabolisms are more like a 65 year old.

One younger person in Washington State fit that profile, and died from Covid-19.

There will always be outliers...in everything.
edit on 3/18/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:22 AM
link   
The virus is constantly mutating. Every time the virus hijacks a cell in order to use its reproductive capabilities, it mutates, it evolves. We just have to hope that none of these mutations become even more deadly. A virus cannot reproduce by itself, that's why it's not really considered to be alive, it needs a living cell from a living organism to reproduce. That is why confinement is important, because spreading it (which is already bad) gives it more opportunities to mutate.

The worse would be a mutation like the one of the 1918 Spanish flu that killed between 50 and 100 million people around the world. The corona virus is already air borne just like the 1918 Spanish flu virus which has been classified as a H1N1 type virus. It has been so deadly because it attacked young adults in good health with a solid immune system, because it caused the immune system to go crazy, so the stronger your immune system was, the more likely you were to die. This is very vicious. And I think the Spanish flu virus made a comeback and became even more deadly, so it most likely mutated. Concerning the corona virus, I think they already identified some mutations in Spain and Brazil.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: EnigmaChaser
Heard a story

Sounds like exactly what this is, a story. I work in healthcare in the biggest hospital in my area and know several people who have been infected.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

That is possible, but I would not call a person in that situation 'healthy'.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   
So far as I've been able to tell, when you get it, no matter what age you are, you have the same chances of developing a mild or severe case of the disease - roughly 80/20 (80% mild/20%severe).

If you develop a severe case of the disease, you generally will need to be hospitalized, and a smaller percentage of severe cases will go critical developing things like ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome).

So far, none of this is age dependent.

What is age and chronic condition dependent is your chance of dying from it. Younger, healthier people who don't develop a cytokine storm will tend to have a much better chance of pulling through when faced with severe and critical illness which is why the death tolls for those age groups are so much less.

It doesn't necessarily have much to do with whether or not they may or may not get to the hospital in the first place.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Where are you seeing that? I am fairly confident in saying that is wrong.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

originally posted by: ketsuko

Where are you seeing that? I am fairly confident in saying that is wrong.

This is based on the early study of 41 cases in Wuhan. The median age was 49. They were all classified as what would be severe cases, meaning they needed hospitalization. And they were not a room full of old people just old people.

Stats on case breakdown.

Some 80.9 percent of infections are classified as mild, 13.8 percent as severe and only 4.7 percent as critical.

The highest fatality rate is for people aged 80 and older, at 14.8 percent.

Here it is again. Roughly 80% of us will get mild disease, but the rest will develop severe cases, and some percentage of those go on to become critical. It's who you are - age and comorbidities - that will sort of determine your likelihood of surviving severe to critical illness.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Here it is again. Roughly 80% of us will get mild disease, but the rest will develop severe cases, and some percentage of those go on to become critical. It's who you are - age and comorbidities - that will sort of determine your likelihood of surviving severe to critical illness.

That, and also whether or not the hospital you go to has any more icu beds and ventilators available as has been seen in Italy. A large spike in numbers all at once is going to overwhelm hospitals and lead to the deaths of many.

EDIT: I might add, if hospitals need to triage, cold but rational decisions will be made that will priorities those who will likely respond to treatment better and have more life ahead of them. The young, females of fertile breeding age etc.
edit on 18-3-2020 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Nowhere in there does it say what you claimed. In fact age as well as co-morbidity is correlated with severity of illness and death. I would be very interested in a source saying 20% of healthy 20-40 year olds develop a severe case. Your source says the opposite.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

No, it doesn't.

It does an overall case breakdown on severity, and then starts talking about fatality rates which are different. Just because you may get severely ill doesn't mean you will die. Younger bodies are far more resilient in the face of severe or even critical illness than older ones which is why the fatality rates are primarily in the older demographics and in those with underlying health issues.

"The percentage of severe cases among Wuhan medical staff has gradually decreased from 38.9 percent at the peak (on January 28) to 12.7 percent in early February," the report said.

How many of the medical staff in Wuhan were all above 60?

Understand too that I am not equating severe illness with having to be intubated; most are just going to need increased support to get over the pneumonia. I am simply not discounting that they have a 30-year-old who needs it from this.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   
it's looking more and more likely that use of anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen increase the chances of younger people developing acute symptoms tho i don't think it's been proven yet, there's just mounting evidence.

as for the rest, at this stage it genuinely seems like chance. the older you are the more likely it is to be worse, but that doesn't mean younger people are immune! the way this whole thing has messed with people's risk assessment and reading/critical thinking skills is truly fascinating.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I read it all, again, and I do not see what you claim anywhere there. Please quote where it states healthy 20-40yo have a 20% rate of severe cases.

I do see where it says severity of cases is age dependent and the elderly are at increased risk. We also know 80+ has a 12% fatality rate I believe, so only 20% of them getting severe cases and then 12% of them dying is a little illogical.

Individuals at highest risk for severe disease and death include people aged over 60 years
and those with underlying conditions such as hypertension, diabetes, cardiovascular
disease, chronic respiratory disease and cancer.

www.who.int...

It's very clear age is the biggest factor in whether a case will be mild or severe.
edit on 18-3-2020 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:38 AM
link   
yes very true here in Europe!

Doctors say they never expected to see so many young people getting so critical!
The elder generation has most deaths, but the younger and middle aged getting very sick, very fast and they don't know why this is happening. These are all young, healthy, none smokers! No underlying conditions whatsoever

belgian news

edit on 18-3-2020 by KindraLaBelle because: link added

top topics

<<   2 >>

join