It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Governor Newsom: 'I don't think the schools are going to open again'

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 12:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: scraedtosleep

So, we need to have a talk about how we shouldnt have women in the workforce is basically what you are saying..

Ummm, that's not what I got.

If the wages were better and you didn't need both parents to work just to make it then this wouldn't be as big a deal.

I wasn't aware that "parents" was a gender-specific word that really meant "mother". But perhaps you are hearing some sort of dog whistle?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I understand that the mass-closures are hurting the economy.

But I don't get people saying we should end quarantines FOR THE SAKE OF the economy.

The death toll among identified cases in Italy is now 7.7%. That's just the official number. What do you think THAT will do to a nation's economy?

It isn't "just the flu".

If we open, and have people dying in the hospital waiting-rooms, it'll be a lot worse for the economy.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:15 PM
link   
My Junior is facing the same challenges. Also, the social deprivation is real. Teens need teens. We caved and let him finally do insta and snap, against my principles but I can't see another way to fulfill socialization needs. God forbid they talk on the phone, lol! Online school is from 10 am to 1 pm. Plus projects and papers but that still leaves a chunk of hours. Gonna have to set Xbox time limits.

I honestly didn't think it was possible for my teen to mope more but I was wrong.

I'm concerned. He had all A's in mostly AP classes but I just want to make sure he stays ready for next year.

I guess I should worry more if there's going to be a next year
edit on 3/18/2020 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Wth? Sorry
edit on 3/18/2020 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

We're just going to carry on with son's normal activities as much as we can. He's going to be allowed to play with friends in the neighborhood so long as all parents agree, and he'll go to practice in the evenings since his martial arts school is a private business that still has discretion on when they will open or close.

As you say, he needs to the normalcy and socializing for the time being. If things start to get bad, well ... we might re-evaluate.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

no.

I said wages should be higher so that a parent can stay home with the kids. Teaching and guiding them.

Be that parent a male or female, doesn't matter. But kids not being raised by the parents because the parents have to work all the time is not good for anyone.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen
I understand that the mass-closures are hurting the economy.

But I don't get people saying we should end quarantines FOR THE SAKE OF the economy.

The death toll among identified cases in Italy is now 7.7%. That's just the official number. What do you think THAT will do to a nation's economy?

It isn't "just the flu".

If we open, and have people dying in the hospital waiting-rooms, it'll be a lot worse for the economy.

That isn't the death statistic... it is bad math.

They don't know how many people have or have had the virus. They are simply saying they have confirmed 5000 cases, 7% of those 5,000 died. The problem is there could be millions of people who have had the virus and just slept it off.... you know, like tens of millions of people do every year with the flu.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Our 8 year old loves online school but then everything is awesome to him. We do 30 minutes a day of exercise but we bowed out of the dojo in February when a new session started. We saw this ramping up and thought it may take the bad turn it has. But, the dojo is awesome and is doing online instruction as well so we'll sign up for the next session in May.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
a reply to: kosmicjack

Ours is a contract basis, so they get paid whether we're there or not. At this point, taking him is entirely our discretion.

He's worried enough that at present, the need for normalcy outweighs the risks. As I said, as the situation changes, we will continue to evaluate the situation, but for now ... he goes because he needs the stability for as long as we feel the benefit outweighs the risk.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Monday was the first day that my grandsons were going to be doing online school here. Their Mom had a doctor's appointment that was a hour drive away that morning. So lucky them, they were left here with me.

I usually feed them breakfast in the morning and get them onto their bus, so I kept to schedule. They were excited to show me their new notebook and IPad plus links to their online coursework. They are 1st grade and 3rd grade.

My phone alarm went off at 8am like a school bell. I set a 2 hour timer on my phone and they signed in. Now admittedly, I did feel for my youngest, he was getting bored and found many of his lessons annoying. Toddler sing songs and baby lessons. Simple stuff that I know he learned at home here with me at the age of 3! Ugh.

Anyways, my point is that children do need an established schedule. With children, always best to get the tedious out of the way with them knowing a reward will be coming shortly afterwards. Whether it is their fav movie, playing a vid game, or going outside to play.

Having homeschooled my daughters through to graduation, teens can be rebellious, but set the schedule and praise them...praise them! They want to show off, so let them and you will be amazed how quickly they will take responsibility and share their progress with you.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

That isn't the death statistic... it is bad math.

They don't know how many people have or have had the virus. They are simply saying they have confirmed 5000 cases, 7% of those 5,000 died. The problem is there could be millions of people who have had the virus and just slept it off.... you know, like tens of millions of people do every year with the flu.

What is the death rate among confirmed cases of the flu? Something like 0.1% ?

How many covid deaths among the "non-confirmed case" population do you think are misreported?

zero?

Maybe the economic impact of death is trivial. as long as it's someone you don't know.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: FredT

Be kinda odd that a flagrant Progressive would give a thumbs up to home schooling, where the children wouldn't be properly indoctrinated...

But is IS Kalifornia, so maybe he is assuming that most parents are a part of the Borg already...

~Shrug~

Wow are you even remotely capable of posting without interjecting a political agenda into it?

Are you stating for the record that the mass hysteria over this virus is NOT politically driven?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   
When I was a kid my super intendant lived by the motto "if I can get to school, so can you." Foot of snow? Get off your ass and shovel.

I understand public awareness and social distancing, but this seems ridiculous. And just to add, the school I went to is only a block from where I currently reside. Those kids are expected to have their butts in their seats daily.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dawnstar
a reply to: scraedtosleep

So, we need to have a talk about how we shouldnt have women in the workforce is basically what you are saying..

That's not what he said. He said parents plural, as in "Ideally, pay should be good enough for couples to be able to pick one to stay home and one to work without financial issue."

Though I'm personally old-fashioned in the belief that women should be the stay-at-homes because it's worked swimmingly for generations and why fix what ain't broke, Scraed said nothing of the sort. So don't stir the pot to get yourself a cheap rise, 'kay?

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Impeach California Governor Newsom.

He has screwed up California for years.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Hopefully not as long as the Spanish Flu, which came in three waves over two years.

posted on Mar, 18 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

In my neck of the woods, "parent" usually means father. The 50-year-old women were all out "living their best lives."

Until they need toilet paper.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join