It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Box/Nonplanar wings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 06:31 AM
link   
There was a thread here talking about Lockheed's Box Wing AMA program, and I wanted to clarify something. One major advantage of nonplanar wings (box wings, ring wings, winglets [like on the 747-400], and heck even X-wings is that the induced drag caused by the tip vortices at the end of a planar (regular monoplane) wing is greatly reduced. I'm researching this stuff now for an Aerodynamics class, and thought I'd spread a little enlightenment.
Check Ilan Kroo's paper “Drag Due to Lift: Concepts for Prediction and Reduction” in the 2001 Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics. Great stuff.
Cheers!

Haven't had much time to check for other threads, if someone else posted this,
my bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 12:57 PM
link   
You probably would get more answers in the Aircraft Projects forum, some of those guys really know there stuff!

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by phg22
There was a thread here talking about Lockheed's Box Wing AMA program, and I wanted to clarify something. One major advantage of nonplanar wings (box wings, ring wings, winglets [like on the 747-400], and heck even X-wings is that the induced drag caused by the tip vortices at the end of a planar (regular monoplane) wing is greatly reduced. I'm researching this stuff now for an Aerodynamics class, and thought I'd spread a little enlightenment.
Check Ilan Kroo's paper “Drag Due to Lift: Concepts for Prediction and Reduction” in the 2001 Annual Review of Fluid Mechanics. Great stuff.
Cheers!

Haven't had much time to check for other threads, if someone else posted this,
my bad.

You're stuck on what problem, honestly? For Aerodynamic ?

cmon

join