It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yet MORE good news - the new age of communities actually HELPING each other

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
In terms of good news during this outbreak, and hopefully a sign of things to come globally, my dear old Dad (living alone after my Mum died suddenly last summer) had five notes posted through his letterbox from five neighbours telling him that they were there to help with anything he needed.

These five neighbours down the road are virtually strangers to him; and he has two direct neighbours who have already offered the same.

My wife and I did the same for two elderly folks in our area today. It was an instinctual decision, as natural as anything.

Could a True global community spirit be developing for the first time since the last world war?

I truly think so. We're gonna be fine. Trust me.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Thats cute. I'm sure they all told Facebook just generous they are. I wonder how many businesses will be forgiving utility bills. House payments. ETC during this trying time and humanity comes together. I wonder how many people, who keep communities running by doing the menial jobs, some who live paycheck to paycheck, will line up to show them the money...? Want to make a wager on that? If I sound like a gloomy gus, a debbie downer its because I know what's going to happen. I've seen it time and time again. Most people will do F all, some will do because they can then brag about it afterwards, and a FEW real heros will quietly do it without any fanfare. The people who get crapped on over this whole thing and are forgotten? Well, they're just casualties. Expected.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:05 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

Yeah, you are driving a misery bus, mate... but maybe, just maybe, my OP is much more than a useless anecdote.

In fact, I'm sure it is.

Here - have a communal man-hug!

Now let's wash our hands...

edit on 16-3-2020 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

Last week I was in the grocery store checkout line with a shopping cart overloaded with supplies like a grizzled old prospector's mule.

The sour-faced, lady behind me in line was giving me dirty looks because she assumed I was hoarding.

It gave me great pleasure to smile and tell her that it was ALL for our local food bank.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
a reply to: BoscoMoney

While you may be right, good people do exist out there. Have you ever opened your doors to a homeless person? Put up some road dogs for the night? Given what little you had to keep the down and out going? Not everyone is a stingy bastard. Good people exist.

And for the record, F Facebook.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I don't know what it's like in the big cities as far as neighbors reaching out, but in my rural are the towns are really coming together.
Many posts on our local bulletin boards offering free babysitting for those without daycare, basic food items for those who have kids that normally get breakfast and lunch at school. Running errands and shopping for any elders so they don't have to go out; grocery shopping for anyone who needs it.
Our local animal rescue is even offering pet food for those in need, and trips to the veterinarian if needed.
In my town (300 people) our news group said if a senior needs held of any kind, just hang a ribbon on their mail box, fence or door nob.

If the tough times we're seeing now last two or three months, I'm sure things will change- but right now I'm awfully proud of our communities.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
My electric and internet company just suspended all bills until May.

Craziness. I never thought I’d see anything like that.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Just had a warning in my local area, People have been calling on the vunerable

and elderly professing to be from the *Red Cross* to do tests for the coronavirus

charging them and/or stealing while there.

There's always some on the look out for a scam. /SMH.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 06:04 PM
link   

well, the toilet paper brawls tell the contrary.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: nugget1

Yeah, living in a small community, or even a rural neighborhood, this spirit was never gone. We've spoken many times about what to do in a crisis. Heck, we have an older neighbor, whose car died a while back, and while we can't afford to get her another one, we have been taking turns taking her into town to shop.

I do hope that "city" neighbors start coming together more. If for nothing else to protect from the scammers the other poster wrote about. Sorry, but people like that need to have some decency smacked into them. Jerks.
edit on 16-3-2020 by chiefsmom because: spelling

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Once this virus thing is over, I'm waiting for that one group to yell "Communist!" or another group saying "Pay your debts or we will foreclosure you!"
edit on 16-3-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Could a True global community spirit be developing for the first time since the last world war?

I couldn't tell you just yet, I brought a 20 pack of toilet paper over a week ago before all this hoarding mentality even started... but when I run out and can't buy more at my local supermarket because of these selfish lowlife hoarders, I highly doubt my opinion of your so called "global community spirit" would be something I could openly express on ATS without being banned in the process.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

I couldn't tell you just yet, I brought a 20 pack of toilet paper over a week ago before all this hoarding mentality even started... but when I run out and can't buy more at my local supermarket because of these selfish lowlife hoarders, I highly doubt my opinion of your so called "global community spirit" would be something I could openly express on ATS without being banned in the process.

Eh, I just paid my water bill. While you idiots are rioting in Walmart, I can easily wash.

Or has common sense left the building?

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

Yeah I get that, and lets face it, jumping straight into the shower after you do your business is far more hygienic than wiping anyway.

But that's not really the point, is it?

Its the moral of it that would make me angry... being denied the ability to purchase an essential item because a bunch of idiots are behaving irrationally.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: sine.nomine

Yeah I get that, and lets face it, jumping straight into the shower after you do your business is far more hygienic than wiping anyway.

But that's not really the point, is it?

Its the moral of it that would make me angry... being denied the ability to purchase an essential item because a bunch of idiots are behaving irrationally.

Familiar with local flora? Hell go to Burger King and grab some napkins.

Being "denied" what? Your right to purchase? Jesus...
edit on 16-3-2020 by sine.nomine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

We hear one bad story and the worlds gone mad and if the coronavirus doesn't get us then the ensuing madness will see us all off.
We hear one good story and its a crock of # and people have ulterior motives for doing good.

I've become far too cynical as I've got older but its been heartening to hear some of the positives that have arisen during this crisis and the re-emergence of communal spirit.
Lets hope it continues well after the pandemic runs its course.

Some people are just miserable bastards and see bad in everything.

new topics

top topics

join