It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How much power do governors have?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Please help me understand. How much power do governors of states actually have? Our governor just closed all public schools and banned "events" such as major league sports, etc. I can understand how he can control the schools. Most public school funding is funneled through the state and a large state bureaucracy governs the running of the schools, even though the local school boards also have a lot of say in how school districts are run. The governor is head of the large state bureaucracy, so if he wants to fire the head of Fisheries and Game, I guess he can do it. Same is true for any other state agency. If you get your paycheck from the state, you ultimately work for the governor.

But he has no control over local district libraries, for example, because there is no line of authority between his office and the local library boards. He has no say in what NGOs do because by and large NGOs do not report to or get funding from the state itself. And most importantly, he has no authority over individual citizens save that citizens must obey laws that are on the books. So if you commit a crime you may wind up in the state court system which can convict and incarcerate you.

But by what authority can the governor tell an individual what to do and how to run their lives? How can the governor "quarantine" people or businesses? How can "authorities" demand you leave your home because of some exaggeration? Yes, it might be a smart thing for you to do if a volcano eruption is bearing down on you, but what if it's the threat of a virus that might be around and might not and even if it is, is "lethal" for a small minority of people who catch it (like 1%, not 3.4%.)

Now if the governor wants to get up at his bully pulpit in a suit and tie, look all pretty and try to persuade people to do his bidding, I can understand that. It's just that I do not accept his authority in telling me what to do. What is it like in your state? How much power does a governor actually have? Just curious.
edit on 3/15/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

Has a state of emergency been declared in your state yet?

I think that gives a lot of power to the State, to do what it wants.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

They can declare martial law. Less than that, by declaring emergencies they can take measures that would normally be unavailable. Like the president.

For example:
apps.leg.wa.gov...
edit on 3/15/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
We may be having to asks those same questions of President Trump in a couple weeks. Except in the case of the President, he has the military if he deems the situations critical and declares Martial Law. I wouldn't have believed it would even get to that point, but now I'm not too sure. And sadly, some here would allow it without too much trouble. Is it me, or does this just not feel right? One month ago, nothing, and now, empty stores, schools shut down, and people like me talking about things like this.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   
It's the people that don't have any common sense that made things the way they are right now. Emptying stores because you don't understand what's going on is why they have to have those tools available. Our founders knew that people are stupid and built in safeguards that seem harsh but if SHTF in a big way they're going to be necessary, IF they are used correctly. All we can do as individuals is ride this out and take care of ourselves the best we can. Politicians and the media are making this a far more dangerous situation than it appears to be but I think shutting down public areas and events is a good way to get ahead of the potential health system overrun other countries are seeing. I don't like the idea of people being laid off or businesses going under, I hope that doesn't happen but it probably will. But if our hospitals got overrun and we had a serious problem like Italy is having, then God help us because we'll need it.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Ohio and Illinois governors have just closed all bars and restaurants to all but carry out service.

That’s a lot of power

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Let's not forget this is a once in a lifetime chance for progressives to have god-like authority.

Thankfully, November isn't that far away.

In the meantime, expect nonsensical restrictions on firearms and their owners, pissing and moaning about emergency fund money from states who did #-all to stop the virus from coming to their states, and a whole boat-load of everything is Trump's fault because .......

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Not the flippant response you want, but the flippant response I’ve got...the Governor of the State has the exact amount of power that the people of the state allow the Governor to have. When the people decide that his goofiness has gone too far, they will say so. Of course that means it is beyond discussion or debate. The Governor either quick marches it back then and there or is removed...by force...laws to do such and order do not matter.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

Governor of the State has the exact amount of power that the people of the state allow the Governor to have.
The governor has the power granted to him by the laws and constitution of the state.

The Governor either quick marches it back then and there or is removed...by force.
Viva la revolution!

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ahabstar
Not the flippant response you want,

Cheese and Crackers Got All Muddy. I wasn't wanting a "flippant" response, but more of an educated one not steeped in generalities. Thanks, Phage, for a succinct and accurate answer.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Both Illinois and Ohio have discontinued the ability for bars or restaurants to have dine in customers by command of the Governor.

People will either agree it is a prudent decision or give the old double deuce. That is just the way it is. Trying force it after that fact will have VERY negative consequences.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Or they can take up arms for their right to booze.

Never mind the fact that a license is required for a bar to operate. Never mind the fact that the laws and constitution of the state give the governor the power to close them down.

Damn the laws. We don't like 'em no more!

Or maybe people will pay more attention to who they vote for.

Nah.

edit on 3/15/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22

Ohio and Illinois governors have just closed all bars and restaurants to all but carry out service.

That’s a lot of power

It seems some state Governors are competing to see which one can get the most Federal Dollars.

Illinois Governor Pritzker (aka "Crook") is closing all Bars and Restaurants from March 17th thru March 31st.

Not a single person has died in Illinois due to CoronaVirus. Fewer than 10 people are in the hospital.

But 81 people have been killed and 352 wounded in Chicago this year. No emergency or drastic measures.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Do you think DeWine will be re-elected?

I have doubts he completes a full term and Ohio does not have a voter activated recall provision...at this moment in time. The recall option was discussed two months ago amongst some interesting people in Ohio that are about as far from militant as you can imagine.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Do you think DeWine will be re-elected?

Who is DeWine?

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

120 volts @ 60Hz.

edit on 15/3/2020 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:43 PM
link   
He is literally the President of the state with every state having their own Constitution. He has about as much power as the President does within his state...

edit on 15-3-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 11:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Who is DeWine?

DeWine as in "pass de wine"...

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Current Governor of Ohio.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Some governors (Bill Clinton) of some states (Arkansas) can pardon pilots smuggling literal tons of coc aine into their state (Barry Seal) making sure the police and state attorney can't touch him. How crazy is that?

top topics

join