It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The airline bloodbath has begun

page: 13
<< 10  11  12   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Be careful. Some of those programs cover the cost of the classroom training and flight instruction, leaving you responsible for the cost of the aircraft. The cost of the aircraft is the expensive part. Last time I checked our local flight school charged $120 per hour for a Piper Warrior.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Will the cut back on cheap travel really be that bad though? Will the comfort, service, and maintenance be better? I do not like to travel because of just the shear number of people and inconvenience of the large crowds.

Will this pandemic transform the industry to a point where there are more airports but smaller with more smaller flights so the actual number of travelers may not necessarily be that much less but travel would just be spread out more and maybe a little more expensive?

I think the world has realized that many of those "Business" trips which required a quick flight and overnight stay can be accomplished just as well with a teleconference meeting. The trickle down will be how it affects the hotels, rent a car, and restaurant business.

As stated earlier the margins are very thin for airlines but air travel isn't going to go away. It is going to be interesting to see how some out of the box thinking may change the industry.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The airlines are predicting 3+ years to recover.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I'm trying to find info about Tokyo Haneda and Narita Airports are running at 6% capacity . Is that true.
But here is some other news: AirAsia Japan announced (21-Apr-2020) plans to extend the suspension of all services until 31-May-2020, due to the effect of the coronavirus pandemic.

Also from the US Embassy in Tokyo

Reduction in International Flights

International flights are currently available in Japan, but service continues to diminish. Only six percent of pre-COVID capacity between Japan and the United States (including Guam) remains in service, and further reductions are scheduled. Direct flights between the United States and Japan are currently only available from Tokyo’s Narita and Haneda airports. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements to do so immediately unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate staging repatriation flights in Japan. U.S. citizens who reside abroad should avoid all international travel.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Two Tickets to Paradise Please . Ah , Oh Wait ..............(

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

They're running most of their domestic flights, but at about 10% capacity. They reduced international flights to about 5% of normal.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

They're running most of their domestic flights, but at about 10% capacity. They reduced international flights to about 5% of normal.

You once posted a flight pattern chart of all flights worldwide, can you provide the link again, thanks.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I'll have to find that one again. Here's this one though.

posted on Apr, 22 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

I'll have to find that one again. Here's this one though.

Thanks. I know you are hard at work at the moment.

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Check this out. www.faa.gov...

Our podunck airport got $30,000.00, our fuel pump is privately owned, with a key to members only, and we don’t get any outside traffic due to that. I’m usually the only guy out on the airfield. So I know we aren’t loosing any revenue!

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Delta just announced a $534M loss in Q1. First quarter last year they posted a $730M profit.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Apr, 23 2020 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Thanks I'll take that into consideration. The school I'm looking at has apparently been training pilots since WW2, and is apparently one of the best in the US. I've got some money at my disposal from my military service, so I'll see what I can work with.

posted on Apr, 27 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Atlantic crossing March 7, and April 27.

US airspace today.

edit on 4/27/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 10 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Avianca just entered bankruptcy after failing to secure government aid to date. If they don't manage to secure funding, they'll be the first major carrier to fail. They're the second largest carrier in Latin America.

Reuters.

posted on Jun, 17 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Qatar has announced that they will take no new aircraft for the next two years, and aircraft scheduled for the next two to three years will be delayed up to 10 years. If business ramps up faster than expected, then those deliveries can be moved forward.

Qatar defers deliveries.

top topics

<< 10  11  12   >>

join