It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the tesco report - UK supermarket

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   
hmm - reading all the replies - i am unsure - are different areas of the UK - panicing and hoarding - in utterly different ways - or is the logistivs backbone of the supermarket industry " bent " - with shortages being " created " - in some areas

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:41 AM
link   
it further occurs to me - that the reported dissparity in shortages in different areas of mainland UK - would invite an ATS " grocery underground " - buying select items in areas of plenty - delivering them to members who face shiortages

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 03:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape
It may be because panic-buying is triggered by signs of local panic-buying, as much as by the media. That would also explain why it happens in large supermarkets rather than small shops. To be exact, the sight of someone with a well-filled trolley sets off the "I must fill my trolley with the same things" reaction. No crowd, no crowd- behaviour.

On my theory that peak levels of buying are unsustainable, because there is a limit to "stocking up", the difference between areas of plenty and areas of scarcity would be very fluid.

The toilet-roll shelves in Morrison's yesterday were empty only in the middle, and were not being besieged.
I thought the implication was that they had been empitied in the first panic, and were now being restocked from the two ends inwards, without any time-preesure.

It occurs to me also that the panic-buying phenomenon is only possible before people get really worried about crowds being infectious. So it's a sign that they are not yet panicked over the virus itself.
edit on 14-3-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 03:25 AM
link   
I was at my local Tesco store before 7AM today, my usual Saturday morning routine, and it was already busy. I often buy several packs of microwaveable rice, different flavours to which I add cold meat for a tasty lunch at work but today upon reaching the checkout I was informed that I can only buy 5 packets! At least I managed to get 4 packs of Pasta and some sauces and even a pack of 16 toilet rolls for my friends who I live with, so they and the kids are ok.

I am sure the eyes of some dodgy characters, lurking in the shadows, were upon me as I made my way across the car park, brazenly pushing a trolley with a large pack of botty wipes on display!

Baked beans were another thing noticeably lacking on the shelves so I grabbed a multi-pack as I passed. Fresh fruit, vegetables and meats were all well stocked though, so looks like people are only stocking up on long term, longer shelf life items. I always make a stop at the large Tesco store round the corner from my place or work once or twice a week to grab a couple of things as soon as they open at 6AM, so I'll check on Monday bright and early to see what they have left after the weekend madness.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   
I’m currently in Cornwall visiting family. My dad just came back from shopping (not sure which supermarket) and said everything seems fine and the shops seem full even with toilet roll. Before I changed jobs I use to work in a very large Tesco in Essex. I’m still in contact with some old colleagues who still work there. It use to be open 24 hours but a friend had recently posted a picture on social media with a sign saying the shop would be closed between midnight and 5am.
Apparently the reason behind this was for safety of the staff who were filling the shop up as some were subject to abuse from customers over panic buying

I actually drive HGVs Tesco I’m not sure what deliveries have been like recently as I’ve been away so I’m not sure if we have had shortages of stock and if deliveries conditions have changed.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ThePeaceMaker
That seems to confirm my own theory, that the panic- buying mode is triggered by the immediate sight of other people with over-filled trolleys. If there is no crowd, there is no panic.

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:20 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I agree, where my dad lives isn’t in the countryside but it’s not also a big urban city or in a large built up area. The store I use to work in is in a large town on the out skirts of London so it’s always busy. So yes other people are panic buying because they see others doing it.

I’m I just I’m right in saying that yes there maybe an initial shortage of good but eventually the stock levels will return. So I just can’t wait to see all these people feeling stupid for buying toilet roll when no shops will effectively run out. Yes there maybe a shortage for a day or two but I’m pretty sure we aren’t going to go days with out things

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Im gonna fill my cart with beer and see what happens.
That or bottles of Vodka and aloe vera juice.

a reply to: Britguy

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: RoScoLaz5

shops update. so my local tesco and aldi have caught up with the panic. no loo roll, cleaning products almost gone, no vitamin c or d. one (1) loaf of bread left. tinned soups still ok, likewise biscuits and cakes (!). all pasta gone. still plenty of booze. people look either scared, pissed off or sad. that's about it. good luck everyone.
edit on 14 3 2020 by RoScoLaz5 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14 3 2020 by RoScoLaz5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
todays update - from a diffent store - in a decidedly different population demographic

utter bedlam

undamiliar with store layout - but it was the idiot zoo

still - these peassants didnt seem to grap - tinned soup = goood

and thier aversion to tinned meat was also puzzling

but hey - i only kneeded a bottle of wine and a head of broccili

i dis stock up on wet fish - as thy had some very good cuts at 25% price

so tuna steak for tommorrow supper - and some good smoke salmon and prawns for freezer

i confused the chap at the fish counter - by walking up and saying :

" good evening sir "- he actually looked over his shoulder to see who i was addresssing

but once i had inquired that what i was buying could go in freezer - my accent sunk in

and he realised that i was not local - so civilised behavious might be normal

i eacaped - girl on checkout = amazed that i had so little

posted on Mar, 14 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   
I think there's an unconscious chain of logic protecting the tinned meat.
1. I see nobody filling their trolley with tinned meat.
2. If nobody is buying tinned meat, there isn't going to be a shortage.
3. If there isn't going to be a shortage, then I don't need to buy it.

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Double post, second today. LoL
edit on 15-3-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2020 @ 09:45 AM
link   
We are also Ribble valley. Went to Aldi Blackburn yesterday at around 5pm.

No Toilet rolls, no handwash etc, no pasta and no bread. About 3-4 packs of 6 eggs left, no frozen veg, no 'fresh' pork or chicken, little fresh veg.. I could go on. I felt a little uncomfortable, I must admit.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed if the GROW Yer OWN food packets been in short supply. Expect allotments and gardens to be police patrolled in a few months if things don't turn around sharpish.

Do you think a new campaign like the war time "Dig for Victory" might be helpful.
Give people something to do and help cover shortages from not getting in food from abroad due to restriction.

90 days ago was the middle of December - 90 days from now what veg could you have grown in your location?

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I was thinking about this today. Having lived in EU (France/Germany) for a few years the way food is provided over there is much different than America.

OK we have places like Costco/Sam/Walmart and even our average grocery store are all things foreigners from around world for the first time walk around with their mouths open in awe.

At home I have three freezers and two refrigerators (the picture is my actual one in my kitchen) a beast in size... I buy rice in 50 ibs bags and I think I have like 4 or 5 bags in storage. Americans buys in bulk which is totally different than EU and many other places, so my question is how do you all feel about not having food lets say for 1 month, how would that go? Right now I could easily go a month, maybe two, before I tapped any emergency supplies.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 02:48 AM
link   
I had to go on FB yesterday (mrs tells me when I need to post happy bdays,congrats etc) and i noticed a few people posting pics of empty shelves including what looked like the fresh produce aisles.

i stocked up ages ago and drive past the big tesco's in Salisbury most days. I have noticed in the last few weeks that it has been a lot busier during the day ( can see the carpark and queue to get out as i drive past) has been looking more like xmas shopping the last week or so.

As for fruit and vege seeds you will be fine as most folks won't even think of it but get them now just in case they do as suggested and tell us to 'dig for victory'

You can get your tomato/pepper/chilli/cucumber seeds going on a window sill now.

Recycle all those toilet roll tubes as pots to start your beans and peas of and plant them straight out in a few weeks.

Runner beans give the most return per square foot - only have a small patio garden? - then get a few 8-12" pots a nd grow them up your drain pipes if need be

edit on 16-3-2020 by johnb because: sp

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
hmm - reading all the replies - i am unsure - are different areas of the UK - panicing and hoarding - in utterly different ways - or is the logistivs backbone of the supermarket industry " bent " - with shortages being " created " - in some areas

Yes, apparently so.

In urban areas people seem to be panic buying and sitting on mounds of loo-roll and dried pasta. In more rural areas people are just getting on with life.

No doubt whole gangs in the cities are getting ready to smash and grab TVs at Currys when law and order breaks down, because one TV per room isn't good enough, or perhaps because they can’t see their TV anymore due to the piles of pasta in the way.

It’s a serious issue and human nature is complicated.

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 06:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Xtrozero

I'm personally very sanguine about it. Lots of Europeans shop online anyway for groceries and all supermarkets over here in Blighty (and the government) have said that in the event of a complete shut down, grocery deliveries will be made (prioritised). And, to be fair, the authorities don't actually have any choice in this if they expect to quarantine the general population.

As to the latest Tesco reports, i can say that yesterday my local Tesco had a manager and a security guard on the TP aisle. They were explaining to customers that they could have a pack each, not a trolley full each!

posted on Mar, 16 2020 @ 02:21 PM
link   
My wife told me just now about a customer in her shop today telling her about how a man in another shop had three packets of pasta and an old lady went to get the last remaining packet. The man proceeded to try and snatch the last packet out of the lady's hand for himself whilst being abusive towards her.
Shop staff intervened and the man was told in no uncertain terms that his behaviour was totally unacceptable and if he continued the police would be called.

Me, I would have taken the three packets and any other shopping he had off him, gave him a bloody good slapping and circulated his photo and details on social media etc.
Name and shame these arseholes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join