It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old School Grindcore

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I saw someone else post their track(s) so I figured I won't get banned for posting this. Monkey see monkey do.

I've been working on a solo project just doing slam and grindcore. I do all the stuff, vox, guitar, drums, mixing, etc. I do this just for fun and I don't sell my tracks, they're all up on sound cloud and I'm slowly sharing them on youtube.
I'm a girl btw so I guess that makes the idea of my cookie monster vox a little more... interesting. I've been doing grindcore and death metal vox since I was 12.

My dad once said that I sounded like a toilet flushing.

For those with a keen eye who've followed any of my posts, you may recognize the tape on the album cover from the UFO BC story "Strange, Strangers, Strangest" as the one the MIBs supposedly warped.

Anyways, warning: not to beep my own horn but this is HEAVY. If you're reading the word "metal" and expecting Led Zeppelin (who I also love), you will be unpleasantly surprised.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
But can you cook?

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Homefree
But can you cook?

I can filet a mean fish.

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Crosswinds

Not too shabby! I'm 58 and like all genres of music, but never really got into the "death vocal" style until I heard Opeth, many years back. I also like Overkill, Suicidal Tendencies and Death Angel, so your track is right up my alley. Well done!

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Not my cup of tea, but complements to you and all artist making something, anything, to express their world as they see it.

Art saves lives....
edit on 10-3-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
Good stuff! Definitely would listen to more of that.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 06:30 AM
link   

Nice lyrics

I like the echo on the vocals about 30 seconds in. Hypnotic gothic.

I know its not gothic, just threw you a line

I like the fx on the guitar solo too.

All round great track, i will look out for more

Keep posting them

edit on 11/3/20 by SecretKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Thanks guys, I'll share more on this thread when I upload them to YT. Glad y'all appreciated it.

SecretKnowledge, thanks, I like playing with echo FX. I get even more in depth with it in some of my other tracks

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Great.

Cant wait.

For more

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I dig it.

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I have a friend who listens to a ton of death metal. He'd probably dig what you posted.

It's very good, musically, well put together, arranged, mixed, and so you're definitely talented. Are those live drums??

I mostly write and record alternative rock, and also do everything myself, but I use drum samples.

What program do you use?
edit on 11-3-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Thank you! I really appreciate that. Yeah they're live with a caveat--electronic Alesis DM5 set with a custom little double kick that I rigged up. Not gonna pretend it's not chopped up and recorded with 20 different takes, but yeah. Drums are my "best" instrument, I've always struggled with guitar because I have gorilla fingers. (They're super skinny but just clumsy AF).

a reply to: HummaKavula

Thanks. Loving the name btw. May the great handkerchief wipe us all clean of our sins. At the very least, substitute for the missing toilet paper.
Aaaaaaaa......choo!

posted on Mar, 11 2020 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Well - You rock!! Great from the beginning.

I'm an old school death metal guy, and this reminds me a bit of early Malevolent Creation and Pestilence. I am so glad this style carries on. BTW - If Kanye can auto tune, we can cookie monster.

Kudos to you for amazing talent. Please keep us posted!

posted on Mar, 12 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TodoMedio
Well - You rock!! Great from the beginning.

I'm an old school death metal guy, and this reminds me a bit of early Malevolent Creation and Pestilence. I am so glad this style carries on. BTW - If Kanye can auto tune, we can cookie monster.

Kudos to you for amazing talent. Please keep us posted!

Thanks! Hah, I agree. Cookie monster vocals will always be in style in my world.

Also I forgot to mention that the program I use is Logic 9 Pro.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Here are two more! Decompression is my personal favorite. Wait till about 0:50, ughh I love that stupid riff.

Also here's "Nothing" which is simpler but still pretty grindy and grimy.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Wow.

You are seriously talented.

You do everything yourself, even mixing the track? Excellent stuff.

Not my type of music but that dont matter, i like it a lot.

And you dont need to be into the genre to spot talent, and you is.

More i say. Nay demand. More!

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SecretKnowledge

Thank you very much!! Yeah I even do the mixdowns. My best friend is/was a sound engineer so he taught me a lot of insider tricks several years ago on how to get everything to sound "right" for this kind of track. I have some more refined metal (less scratchy and more engineered) as well which is still hard AF but not as raw.
Logic 9 Pro makes it pretty easy, too. It's all very visual and easy to learn.

There's more, I'll keep 'em coming over the next few weeks. =)

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Question. Do you master your own stuff, do automated mastering, just leave it as is as after a good mixdown, or what?

I've never properly mastered my stuff, but have gotten estimates.

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I do the mastering. Mastering is always tough because you get ear fatigue and it's almost impossible to tell what sounds good and what doesn't so what I do is I listen to my favorite/influential bands like Napalm Death, old Sepultura, Pestilence, etc and then go back to my tracks. Also listening in my car always helps, haha
I hate mastering. It'd be nice to have my friend around to master my stuff for me but we live on opposite sides of the country now and he's always busy. >

posted on Mar, 13 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Hell, I get ear fatigue just mixing. Good mix with studio monitors, listen through studio headphones, bounce, listen through macbook headphones, listen in the car, rinse repeat.

Cool you master yourself. I've watched tutorials and downloaded plug ins and etc, but I'd really prefer an unbiased and professional ear to master my stuff, though.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join