It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Governor Cuomo Granted Broad New Powers as New York Confirms Second Case of Coronavirus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:00 PM
link   
It looks like NY State Governor Cuomo is using COVID-19 as an excuse to give himself a LOT of extra power.
It was introduced at his request, then pushed through in a day. It sounds like there was some pressure put on them to pass it.

Lawmakers specifically took issue with changes to directives the governor can issue in responding to state disasters and emergencies. Under the proposal, the governor would be granted unlimited authority to rule by executive order — superseding local and agency authority — during any declared state emergency, including instances as vague as a “storm” and infrequent as “volcanic activity.” Senate Minority Leader John Flanagan questioned the need for such language. “This is far more sweeping than dealing with the public health issues in battling the coronavirus so why would this majority grant unfettered discretion, unbridled authority and cede our powers … to the executive?” he said in a floor speech.
www.politico.com...

“I’ve been involved in this topic for decades, through six governors. I’ve never seen any governor or health commissioner ask for this kind of expansion of power,” said Assemblyman Dick Gottfried, a Democrat representing Manhattan.
spectrumlocalnews.com... rus (this link keeps not working, it's cutting off the rus at the end, it works if you click it then add the rus in the address bar yourself, lol, if anyone knows if this can be fixed please let me know)

legislation.nysenate.gov...
edit on 4-3-2020 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 09:51 PM
link   
He isn’t someone known for respecting the Constitution. He and Bloomberg use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper. What could go wrong?

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
He isn’t someone known for respecting the Constitution. He and Bloomberg use the Bill of Rights as toilet paper. What could go wrong?

Plenty! I don't see this ending well as people wake to totalitarian authority. Sure folks will go along as its at first benignly presented as safety and security but when boot comes down - no.

Anyone find it ironic that states with "party of the people" in charge are first in line to call emergencies where political leaders can act as dictator using E.O. s

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 10:48 PM
link   
We have a lot more then 2 cases. In Westchester country alone we have 10.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Ellie Sagan

Somebody like cuomo with this kind of power? This isn't good. Will he use this for a gun grab? Now this little bit here:

But Deputy Majority Leader Mike Gianaris said negotiations over the weekend provided for a 2021 sunset date and language would allow the Legislature to undo any executive order it deemed an overreach.

Does this mean we have to wait till 2021 to get the power back from him if he abuses it?

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

I guess so because everything is Democrat majority and they will most probably side with Cuomo should an issue arise. This is one reason why I hate living in NY!

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Ugh. Now this. He has the balls to say he's so annoyed that people are overreacting, like he's all indignant. What a dick! I would call his actions an overreaction. So it's clear that he's just wanting to be dictator and take away our rights!

"The facts do not merit the level of anxiety that we are seeing... The number will increase because it is math. The more people you test, the more positives you are going to find," Cuomo said. "I'm a little perturbed about the daily angst when the number comes out and the number is higher. Perturbed meaning, I'm perturbed that people get anxious every time the number goes up. The number has to go up if you continue to test."

www.wicz.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 09:38 AM
link   
This reeks of the potential for fascism. Wasn't Hitler essentially granted similar powers when he became Chancellor?

Hopefully this is just an isolated case and we don't start seeing similar moves across the country, or God forbid at the national level.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
So get your betting money together and what state is going to be next ???

New Jersey????

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ellie Sagan
Ugh. Now this. He has the balls to say he's so annoyed that people are overreacting, like he's all indignant. What a dick! I would call his actions an overreaction. So it's clear that he's just wanting to be dictator and take away our rights!
www.wicz.com...

Well, that's our king Andy. You're not supposed to EVER question anything he says or demands. Yet the left is worried about Trump, yet right here in NY we now have our own little dictator.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Chance321

But it's ok, because the Democrats are the ones who care so much about us! They only have our best interests in mind. :/

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

I'd go with Washington State or California for the same reasons New York is going that direction.

top topics

join