It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are forced to live in an Empire, which one would you want to live in?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: LABTECH767
a reply to: M5xaz
Star wars is Better there is no argument here but I would rather live in the next generation's era of the federation.

Lets not forget if you not a Sith or Jedi your screwed most of the time. Star Wars also had lots of slave trade going on. If I choose Star Trek, I'd go with Terran Empire and be a spy scouting the Fed territory. "Long live the Empire"
edit on 3-3-2020 by makemap because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 11:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
The Star Trek empire. I want to circle Uranus and fight Klingons.

I see what you did there..
(purposefully or not)
I do not have a Klingon problem . However , my dog does every now and then.

edit on 3/3/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Austria-Hungary
between Napoleon and WWI
interesting combination of peoples and places
lots of great food

would love to take a rail tour through

(hopefully I'd be wealthy enough to live the good life--not interested in peasantry thank you)

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: makemap

Star wars is Better there is no argument here but I would rather live in the next generation's era of the federation.

Let's not forget if you not a Sith or Jedi your screwed most of the time. Star Wars also had lots of slave trade going on. If I choose Star Trek, I'd go with Terran Empire and be a spy scouting the Fed territory. "Long live the Empire"

Well...if I HAVE to be part of a Star Trek empire, might as well go full retard...Then, I'd be a Klingon, flying a Bird of Prey
( pretty cool) and part of the Klingon Empire......

....Ka' Plaa, my Lord.....

Ughhh...I need more meds... or maybe electroshock.....

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Nah....
...Go Klingon young man !
....Klingons are superior warriors ...
...their ships, like the Bird of Prey class and the D7 class are cooler...
...and their anthems are better:

Still super cool, even 40 years after the original Star Trek Motion picture

Besides, we battle enough on these boards, I know you too would make a great Klingon !

So there !

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
God empire !!!

posted on Mar, 3 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: makemap

the british empire of course boss ing every bugger about

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Got to agree with the Motion Picture, it remade Star Trek and though she never reappeared in other movies that Indian actress whom played Ilea was hot for a baldy, the Klingon Battle anthem was just a superb track almost as good as those used in the original Conan the Barbarian movie - same generation of musicians.

That said I still hold that Star Wars is superior, in star wars you take week's or month's or even years to pass from one part of a quadrant to another even at the highest warp that the federation and its enemy's the Klingon's (TNG were the best with there Cornish pasty's on the forehead design though it did make me feel like eating them foodnessgracious.com... wiki.playstarfleet.com... - if you have never had a Cornish Pasty interesting trivia they were the original workman's sandwich style all in one lunch, usually genuine traditional Cornish pasty's made for miners would have savory at one end and sweet apple or pear filling at the other making it a meal and pudding all in one), Romulans and Tholians had, later TNG, Voyager and DS9 introduced the concept of trans warp and other methods such as subspace travel and wormhole travel to make galaxy wide and beyond travel feasible for there story's.

But from day one Star Wars had hyperspace which is technically a form of inter-dimensional travel that allowed them to travel across the entire galaxy in hours, day's or week's at most though it required the use of mapped out star lane's that were already charted or complex navigation system's that would plot a course to avoid obstacles and hazard's, powerful gravity well generators could be used to disrupt hyperspace routes though and the Empire had specialized star destroyers designed to do just this.

Disintegration of enemy's, both Star Trek with it's phasors and disruptors had them and Star Wars though if you remember Vaders warning to Fett not to disintegrate these weapon's were outlawed by the earlier republic and the old republic and sith empire and later empire of palpatine (reborn sith empire but under the rule of two so only palpatine and vader as well as a few lesser sith that if they gained too much power would be put down by vader).

Transporters, they were known but not used for some reason in the star wars empire, ancient species had constructed hyperspace gateways and one race was even able to travel without ship's much as the Iconian's of Star Trek could.

The star wars galaxy was only an empire of control or a republic of alliance and the law's and right's of it's citizen's varied from world to world with the majority of the Galaxy actually NOT being under the control of either the earlier empire's (except perhaps the long destroyed Rakaatan empire) or the republic's that had come and gone during it's existence but likewise the federations individual world's often had different law's and only there agreed upon rules in space and for treatment of the citizens of other federation world's extended over them, most of the star trek galaxy was an unknown except when they wanted to introduce new plot pieces such as new enemy's or the 'lost in space' inspired voyager series.

Personally while at first I hated discovery for what it did to the Klingon's (also one of my favorite species but particularly the next generation not the lame original series version but the version that took shape from the undiscovered country movie up to the next generation - with the pasty's on there heads - ruled by a code of honor if still coarse and harsh they were also likable in a manic and insane kind of way) but despite all the political correctness BS stuck into it and the ridiculous fungus drive the show's became very entertaining and I quite looked forward to seeing what became of the Discovery when they traveled to the distant future to keep the (mushroom's just what was that screen writer doing in there space time I wonder) fungus drive out of everyone's hand's but that sadly that show look's not to ever be going to be produced now.

Still I would argue that star wars has the better, richer and more diverse universe, alien's that most often do not look human except for the so called near human races and sometimes eat one another (something star trek steered clear of until much later in it's history though that lizard guy throwing the polystyrene rock's at kirk probably would have eaten him if David Ike had not co-opted him to make out he is currently a politician somewhere).

Take the Jawa and Sand people, did you know they were supposedly both descendant's of the same race, Tattooine was once a city world, green with ocean's and a great world spanning city that was conquered by the Rakata and rebelled, the Rakata whom in some way's were still far more advanced even than the later civilizations were barbaric and cannibalistic and they did not like rebellions so they pulverized the surface of tattooine from orbit turning it's surface into glass sand, for countless ages the survivors eked out a living in the destruction the ancestors of the Jawa far below the ground eating fungus and mould's there body's becoming stunted and there eye sight poor while there sense of smell increased while the ancestors of the sand people degenerated into tribalism and never took off there environmental - tribal - outfits this practice becoming a religious one so that you never see a sand person without there suit, the sand people and the jawa's are mutually hostile but also have a symbiotic relationship sometime's trading but usually hating one another and the great sand crawler vehicles that the Jawa use were left by ancient mining operations that failed to extract much and were abandoned there over many ages.

Like Star Trek the Star Wars universe is filled with the remains of countless alien - and some not so alien - previous civilization's and empires spanning back to long before the Rakaatan period and to explain how human's came to be there a writer was once approached to write them into the story of the star wars universe, sadly his work remain's only a draft because the project was shelved but it is an interesting piece of work that offers a very interesting insight into the origin of the Hutt as well.
starwars.fandom.com...

But it is mostly pointless arguing which is better as both universe are brilliant (still funny to see a storm trooper or better yet Wookie dressed fan arguing with a Klingon dressed fan).

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
A philosopher said about one empire; "Never since the Athenians has the world been governed by such sweet, just, boyish masters".

Yes, Santayana was talking about the British.

posted on Mar, 5 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

Indeed, driven by most often very strong Christan faith (sadly utterly lost in today's inferior British politician's and there self serving mindset) - though at other time's by those willing to exploit so it was not all summer sailing - the British often saw ourselves as having a duty to civilize the uncivilized, to share our particular take on Christan values with them, to educate and to convert them - though never by force and this was often known colloquially as the white man's burden since most of the British empire was ruling over people of other ethnicity's.

Also of note is the misconception that we Conquered India, I know that you also know that is wrong but other's on this site may be under the illusion that we were forcefull empire builders when in fact our expansion in India was mostly through invitation and at first it was a purely private affair with no direct British government involvement and in fact under the governance of the British East India Company a private enterprise, still even these merchant's with there mercenary - mostly native Indian soldiers were almost always seen as liberators when they were welcomed by the people's (mostly Hindu's, Sikh's and other faith's) into the many seperate nations and kingdom's that India had become prior to our arrival as a force for change there, for century's, indeed over a millenium much of india had been oppressed by often brutal and cruel Islamic masters with there religious taxation and forced coversion's, how many bloody revolt's lost to history did they put down before they staged there own mutiny against the English whom had taken away there powers only God knows.

The History of India in particular is an interesting one, they had survived the expansion of Alexander, survived the great age of the Persian empires and many others but india was fragmented, during it's hindu period it was many kingdom's but mostly two great empires that squabbled at time's ruled northern and southern India.

There is some history I am a little vague on but it goes a bit like this.

Troubled by the story's of the Muslim army's burning monastery's, library's and university's, enslaving, raping and wiping out entire city's the ruler of the Southern kingdom at that time the most powerful entity in pre-Islamic India sent out a great army known as the Raj Phut, this army as was the tradition of many ancient cultures was led by the highest class of that ancient empire including members of the ruling/royal family and a vast baggage train of family and supporting people went along with them, for over 20 or 25 years they conquered all Islamic army's that they encountered and went ever deeper into land's that had been lost to the encroaching Islamic forces but over time attrition took it's toll on this multiple generation caravan of soldiers and family's and at last they decided to turn back and head for home only to find that behind there back's avoiding them the Islamic forces had invaded and conquered there homeland and that this meant that they now had nowhere to go.

It was theorized by one person that the Raj Phut may indeed have been at least one of the root branches of the Romany's when they fled whom indeed have song's singing about lost homeland's but today most accept a different take and believe that while the Romany gypsy's may indeed have some Indian ancestry it was probably from the much lower cast/class members of ancient indian society - though indeed this could simply be the genetic footprint of those that acted to support the noble warriors, there servant's and there family's.

But of course no one really know's, when the Gypsy's as they became known first appeared they were mistaken for Egyptian's for some unknown reason and so the name stuck despite there being no link between them and Egypt.

Empires come and go and as the good book points out all the work's of man are in vain or as in the allegorican poem about Ozymandias by Shelley (as opposed to the earlier and arguably original work by Smith).

With credit to Wikipedia.

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away

So I think we can all agree our house is better built upon the immovable rock, in that sense the British empire tried to do likewise but corporal concern's often rule over better heads and greed and finance have the say in this world until that day come's.

Of final note the British empire was perhaps the greatest force for reform and change for the better - though it's sheet is far from clean with many crimes over the period of it's existence though perhaps far cleaner than any other empire ever in recorded history - than any other force before it, fighting against slavery once it was abolished here with royal naval patrol's actively hunting down slavery ship's from the 1820's onward in both the atlantic and pacific as well as the regions around arabia and east africa.

During the mid to late victorian era in particular we had some of the most reformist and christian inspired leaders of any nation, oh they were not perfect with children still working, no workers right's, workhouses etc but it was a beginning of moving toward the modern age and without the British influence most western nations even today would still be backward, the French though arguably did the most with there deliberate attempt to create a truly equal society - it failed but it was an attempt that in time inspired other's to move toward a softer liberation such as happened in Britain so they do also deserve to be credited despite the many injustices perpetrated during the French Revolution.

Though we were sadly involved in those opium wars as were other european powers and the US - once again greed and money over ruled our christian sensibility's in that episode and much to our eternal shame.

edit on 5-3-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

that was very well writen and basically sums up the british empire

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   
that Klingon attack on V'ger was a great scene. loved the music with its male vocals and jingle like barbarian cavalry.

don't think I'd have lasted long in their Empire though.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
The one with a gaint battle station that looks like a moon, but then again the federation does have universal health care an benefits.

posted on Mar, 6 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Yes but what a way to go, so drunk on blood wine you think a plate of worm's is actually spaghetti bolognaise and waking up with such a headache you don't know if it is because of the wine or the head thumping with the other dood in which you both endeavour to squash one another's forehead pasty's, no wonder they were always in a bad mood and laughing when fighting eh!, bit like an empire of football hooligan's.

edit on 6-3-2020 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join