It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine flu outbreak 1976

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Let’s get these projected numbers out-of-the-way first.

Earth population 7,530,000,000

Projected
infection rate.     X .7 (70%)
                             _________
   Infected.          5,271,000,000

Fatality rate.         X .03 (3%)

possible fatalities      158,130,000

There is no way on earth anyone could convince there will be anything near that number of infections and fatalities.

Here’s a stroll down memory lane

In 1976 during the swine flu outbreak . The great scientific minds at the CDC predicted a Pandemic with 50 to 60,000,000 people infected . The CDC told Washington that we needed to vaccinate 80% of the population to prevent it .

Legislation was rushed to fund that effort which created the National Influenza Immunization program

The vaccine was created in six months and mass inoculation began.

Insert politics...,,,

The World Health Organization adopted more of a wait-and-see attitude to the virus, writes Kreston. They eventually found that the strain of flu that year was not a repeat or escalation of the 1918 flu, but “the U.S. government was unstoppable,” di Justo writes. They had promised a vaccine, so there needed to be a vaccine.  

Politics

Gerald Ford took the vaccination on national television .

The vaccine was given to 25% of the population .

The end result of the outbreak was 200 people infected with swine flu and one person dead .

The victims were the 450 people who contracted Guillain-Barre syndrome because of the rushed vaccine and along with a few dozen heart attacks .

I’m not saying that scenario will play out now. But I hope it does. (except the vaccinations)

But “ beware of politicians bearing sharp pointy objects “

Source

Source
edit on 2-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Quit being reasonable. Don't you know you are required to panic?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

This thing might have legs .

But we’re going to need to see a big spike worldwide in new cases within the next two weeks .

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I personally will not get the vaccine for the Coronavirus when it comes out. Maybe after it has been around for three years I will consider it. I have a bad reaction to the flu vaccine, I don't think I want to chance getting a reaction to the coronavirus vaccine. Call it paranoid, but if the flu vaccine can kill me, I may have the same problem with the new CV vaccine.

My new doctor doesn't believe me when I say I won't take the flu shot, even though the doctor who gave it to me said I should never again get one because of my reaction the second time I got it. I had told him before I had gotten a bad flu from it and he laughted, he wasn't laughing when I came into his office looking like I was on deaths door a week later. But, he never put it in writing or if he did those records got lost somewhere, I never got anything in writing from him, I was only thirty six, I never considered he would be retiring in ten years and that the other doctors would toss out most of the records they got from him. Every time I switched doctors over the years, it seemed like some of the records disappeared. I do not know how many tests I had to take over when I went to a new doctor, especially the heart stress test. I have had tachychardia all my life, it wouldn't change. It is not like I ever was trying to get disability from it, it was just an inconvenience.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I am not a anti vaxer by any means .

If it looked I like should take it.

I would take it .

I’d just be willing to let the couple million people go first .

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Is being prepared considered panicking?
edit on 3/2/2020 by Alien Abduct because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: rickymouse

I am not a anti vaxer by any means .

If it looked I like should take it.

I would take it .

I’d just be willing to let the couple million people go first .

I actually remember that swine flu epidemic. I did get that flu that year, I keep saying I never got any severe flu, but I did get that flu fairly bad, I remember, I did not go to the bar that weekend, it lasted about three days. I guess that is the flu that if you got it you got lifelong immunity.

From my research I got lifetime immunity to the flu from the nineteen eighteen flu, my grandfather got it and so did my grandmother I heard years ago. I do not know why, but they say that if you were born before 1957 you have immunity to that whole class of flues.....How could they say one year like that, unless they gave all kids a vaccine after that that destroyed their immunity when they were born? It could be they did do something like that, I have never been able to find out how they could determine that date, my grandfather was two generations back and I got immunity from inheriting it.
edit on 2-3-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
About the only way I would expect to see a spike is IF the conspiracy sites are telling the truth and the CDC has been telling people not to test folks that might have it but never came into contact with people over seas.

Dont know what may or may not happen there, but the panic is already set in and topping up the preps is a good idea before the supply interruption happens. (if it happens)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alien Abduct

Is being prepared considered panicking?

Pretty much, yes. The chances that this is big enough to require extensive preparation is statistically rather low. To declare a "national emergency" based on less than a dozen deaths is rather ridiculous. Wearing masks, for example, is a useless exercise. Most masks don't work and most people don't wear them correctly. In the United States between 30,000 and 50,000 people per year die of the flu. Yet you did not prepare for that--year after year. Indeed, it's like pulling teeth to get people to get a flu shot, which this year has about a 50% efficacy rate, meaning it is statistically worthwhile to get.

The MSM and politics are doing us no favors here. The problem is not the virus. Even if you get the virus, the odds are overwhelming that you will survive it. The problem is the panic. So if everyone is rushing to the store to buy toilet paper you'd better horde a thousand rolls today or miss out!

If you feel compelled to do something useful, go wash your hands.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
I personally will not get the vaccine for the Coronavirus when it comes out. Maybe after it has been around for three years I will consider it. I have a bad reaction to the flu vaccine, I don't think I want to chance getting a reaction to the coronavirus vaccine. Call it paranoid, but if the flu vaccine can kill me, I may have the same problem with the new CV vaccine.

My new doctor doesn't believe me when I say I won't take the flu shot, even though the doctor who gave it to me said I should never again get one because of my reaction the second time I got it. I had told him before I had gotten a bad flu from it and he laughted, he wasn't laughing when I came into his office looking like I was on deaths door a week later. But, he never put it in writing or if he did those records got lost somewhere, I never got anything in writing from him, I was only thirty six, I never considered he would be retiring in ten years and that the other doctors would toss out most of the records they got from him. Every time I switched doctors over the years, it seemed like some of the records disappeared. I do not know how many tests I had to take over when I went to a new doctor, especially the heart stress test. I have had tachychardia all my life, it wouldn't change. It is not like I ever was trying to get disability from it, it was just an inconvenience.

He laughed because the flu vaccine is dead virus, you can’t catch the flu from it. If you came in a week later with the flu, he would have been understandably concerned for you because the flu can be serious—-but you caught a strain that wasn’t included in the flu shot you got.

The only side effect of the flu vaccine is Guillian Barre, and you obviously didn’t have that. “Got a flu shot but got a different strain of flu a week later” would not have been recorded in your charts.
edit on 2-3-2020 by SoNotYabiz because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Just some fun random stuff I was told that I can't verify but..

I remember my Mother telling me once that she got the swine flu vaccine in the late 70's or whenever it was available (she was an RN) and it made her really sick, some sort of problems with her legs or something? She could barely walk and had to brace herself on the wall, missed alot of work or something.

Sorry, I know it's a crap story but did it negatively affect people like that?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I think if we’re going to see a spike we will see it within the next two weeks or so .

The Incubation period is up for most and there should be a large number of people with symptoms .

If a asymptomatic person infects two people, those two infect four we end up with exponential growth .

( I think the number two is reasonable )

So if COCVID-19 lives up to its reputation as a super spreader.

We should see a global spike in infection shortly .

edit on 2-3-2020 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Welp IF the wacko sites are correct recently the CDC gave the go ahead for complete testing so it should fall into your 2 week window if correct.

ETA:
I prep because me and the wife were stranded one winter for a couple weeks without power after a major ice storm with no power and had to rely on a papa johns with a generator for food.

It just so happens that many of those preps will also be useful in this situation.

edit on 2-3-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf

I prep because me and the wife were stranded one winter for a couple weeks without power after a major ice storm with no power and had to rely on a papa johns with a generator for food.

It just so happens that many of those preps will also be useful in this situation.

Been there; done that. Exact same situation. Telephone pole cracked in two. Now I have a 10KVA generator. Makes sense if you're in a real threat situation. Wife was out today, stopped by Safeway to pick up dinner and found everyone n town filling two carts each trying to clean out the grocery store. That kind of panic IS the problem.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Oh, no... nothing at all to worry about....

www.who.int...

5% of people who are diagnosed with Covid require artificial respiration. Another 15% need to breathe in highly concentrated oxygen - and not just for a few days. The duration from the beginning of the disease until recovery is 3 to 6 weeks on average for these severe and critical patients

The most common symptoms are fever (88%) and dry cough (68%). Exhaustion (38%), expectoration of mucus when coughing (33%), shortness of breath (18%), sore throat (14%), headaches (14%), muscle aches (14%), chills (11%) are also common. Less frequent are nausea and vomiting (5%), stuffy nose (5%) and diarrhoea (4%). Running nose is not a symptom of Covid.

Healthcare system: 20% of infected people in China needed hospital treatment for weeks. China has hospital beds to treat 0.4% of the population at the same time - other developed countries have between 0.1% and 1.3% and most of these beds are already occupied with people who have other diseases. The most important thing is firstly to aggressively contain the spread of the virus in order to keep the number of seriously ill Covid patients low and secondly to increase the number of beds (including material and personnel) until there is enough for the seriously ill. China also tested various treatment methods for the unknown disease and the most successful ones were implemented nationwide. Thanks to this response, the fatality rate in China is now lower than a month ago.

Pre-existing conditions: The fatality rate for those infected with pre-existing cardiovascular disease in China was 13.2%. It was 9.2% for those infected with high blood sugar levels (uncontrolled diabetes), 8.4% for high blood pressure, 8% for chronic respiratory diseases and 7.6% for cancer. Infected persons without a relevant previous illness died in 1.4% of cases.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:08 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I never said we wouldn’t see cases .

I’m familiar with all the data you gave.

Just didn’t think I needed to include it for the point I was trying to make .

Will it be a super spreader or not ?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

edit on 2-3-2020 by SorrowSong2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

The chances that this is big enough to require extensive preparation is statistically rather low.

What would you consider "big enough" then?

To declare a "national emergency" based on less than a dozen deaths is rather ridiculous.

How many deaths in your opinion shall be enough to declare a "national emergency" oh wise one?

Wearing masks, for example, is a useless exercise. Most masks don't work and most people don't wear them correctly.

Oh but some masks do work and even a mask that is warn improperly can still reduce a person's chances of infection. But hey why reduce your chances of getting a life threatening disease.

In the United States between 30,000 and 50,000 people per year die of the flu. Yet you did not prepare for that--year after year. Indeed, it's like pulling teeth to get people to get a flu shot, which this year has about a 50% efficacy rate, meaning it is statistically worthwhile to get.

The flu has an R.0. value of 1.3 (meaning every person that gets it will infect 1.3 other people on average) and a mortality rate of about .036%

Covid-19 has an R.0. value of about 2.6 and a mortality of about 3%. This may seem like small numbers however even the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic mortality rate was only 2.5 percent, killing roughly 50 million people around the world, and that was the most severe pandemic in recent history. By the way I get my flu shot every year.

The problem is not the virus. Even if you get the virus, the odds are overwhelming that you will survive it. The problem is the panic. So if everyone is rushing to the store to buy toilet paper you'd better horde a thousand rolls today or miss out!

My local grocery stores remain full even though I am fully stocked and prepared. I dont see people scrambling to buy toilet paper or anything else. Certainly not enough to consider it a panic. Having a stock of food and supplies for an emergency in general is a good idea. It doesnt have to necessarily be for a super virus. Natural weather disasters happen too and there is always a looming threat of an economic collapse or even war. Having a good emergency stock only makes good sense.

If you feel compelled to do something useful, go wash your hands.

That's a start!

edit on 3/2/2020 by Alien Abduct because: Corrected number of people killed by Spanish flu

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

The most common symptoms are fever (88%) and dry cough (68%). Exhaustion (38%), expectoration of mucus when coughing (33%), shortness of breath (18%), sore throat (14%), headaches (14%), muscle aches (14%), chills (11%) are also common. Less frequent are nausea and vomiting (5%), stuffy nose (5%) and diarrhoea (4%). Running nose is not a symptom of Covid.

Which describes any other flu or virus
Done.
Next.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join