It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CORONAVIRUS: Four more people have died in Washington state;US Total now 6

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Four more people have died in a coronavirus outbreak in Washington state, bringing the total fatalities there to six.
These are the only deaths due to Covid-19 on US soil. The northwestern state declared a state of emergency over the weekend.
Five of the deaths occurred in King County, where Seattle is the main city.

There are now 18 confirmed cases in the region, where there are growing fears it may spread further.
Researchers who studied the first two Washington deaths had said the virus may have been spreading there for weeks, and suggested that up to 1,500 people may have been infected.

BBC

It might get much worse in this state, being so many cases have been circulating since January

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Three of the four new deaths occurred at the nursing home, located in nearby Kirkland, Washington,

More coronavirus testing is expected to be conducted across the Seattle region.

Prior to Monday’s reported fatalities, 25% of Kirkland’s firefighters were quarantined after having been to the nursing facility, and the local hospital has also told visitors to stay away. An area college has also cleaned its campus after some students had visited the nursing facility.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
This is the real danger. It got into a nursing home where you have elderly residents who are older and frail with underlying health conditions. These are going to be the places with the highest percentage of severe and critical cases.

On the other hand, if they've been saying this has been circulating since January ... how many have already had it in Washington without knowing it?

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   

...25% of Kirkland’s firefighters were quarantined after having been to the nursing facility...

And this is one of the knock on effects I've referred to in the past. Actions that are not specifically cause by the virus in a person, but are the result of how the virus is reacted to.

So, with only 75% capacity, that means if there are any other sorts of emergencies to which the fire department are called, they might have to reach out to other agencies in the region for support, causing yet further knock on effects.

Not to mention the fact of what could occur should any of the above sequestered firefighters contract the virus. Maybe nothing, maybe a slight cold, maybe they've already passed it on to someone who will become severely ill.
edit on 2-3-2020 by jadedANDcynical because: 75 not 70

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: violet
Three of the four new deaths occurred at the nursing home, located in nearby Kirkland, Washington,

More coronavirus testing is expected to be conducted across the Seattle region.

Prior to Monday’s reported fatalities, 25% of Kirkland’s firefighters were quarantined after having been to the nursing facility, and the local hospital has also told visitors to stay away. An area college has also cleaned its campus after some students had visited the nursing facility.

Wow, that is going to hurt the pocketbook of the nursing home if half of their patients die there. Nobody is going to want to bring their parents there with that kind of record on their business for a while.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

I live in proximity. Nice knowing you lads.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

I see they were older with existing medical conditions. Violet intentionally left that part out.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   
There is no way of knowing how long this virus has been circulating in the USA. It could have started here and was hauled to china. A doctor would not have recognized a mild case of it as anything other than a common virus, there was no test for this particular strand, and two viruses can effect a person at the same time, get this with the flu and you would have a much worse death rate tied to the flu. We think this started in China, but it could have started anywhere in the world, this strain does not match the strain found in the bats and the animals in China could have caught it from anywhere....even from a human.

We would never have known these people had died from this strain of coronavirus if we were not looking, they would not have checked for this strain, maybe they may have identified it as a corona virus if they had a test kit for it, usually the doctor just sends the sample in to check if it is a virus the flu vaccine covers. It would cost a fortune to run hundreds of different tests on a virus.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The scare is so overblown and stupid imo. BIG business for face mask and hand sanitizer companies though! 92% of the people who have been infected globally have recovered with an 8% mortality rate. That's everyone factored in, the old, those with compromised health that have a myriad of other conditions or diseases.

The deaths in the U.S. have been old people in nursing homes. Nursing homes are the place that elderly who are on their way out are sent by family and doctors because nothing else can be done. And yet, the American public is terrified and you'll probably start seeing a bunch of healthy people walking around with masks on in public soon.

And somewhere in the murky stock market realm with that $6 trillion dollar loss of overall value and mass sell off, somebody is gaining from it I'm sure. Or will be once this all blows over and the stocks stabilize later this year.

If I had investment money and played with the market.. this would be an epic time to make alot of money by the end of 2020.
edit on 2-3-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 04:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

I see they were older with existing medical conditions. Violet intentionally left that part out.

No I did not!
I’m getting my news from Apple news app which you can't post direct links to (unless the reader has the app), so I search the link, which was missing that info. I then did post right after it to say it was elderly. After further research. This was new news so not much info was revealed when posted in the OP.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingSquirrel
Nursing Homes are not just for people on their way out. Many in there are quite healthy. The family places them there because they don’t have the means to care for them. Or they admit themselves.

Hospices are where people “on their way out” are placed.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

No I did not!
I’m getting my news from Apple news app which you can't post direct links to (unless the reader has the app), so I search the link, which was missing that info. I then did post right after it to say it was elderly. After further research. This was new news so not much info was revealed when posted in the OP.

Yep, it's the elderly that are at risk and yet the hand sanitizer and masks are marked up and off the shelves. If I were to goto Wal-Mart, I'm told they'd have no hand sanitizer and if it were restocked, it'd cost more than usual. Not sure how much. Are the buyers of it ever going to get infected?

On a sidenote, just out of curiosity, how did you get over 2 million stars from 8k+ posts? I don't know how it works exactly.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I don’t know how I got the stars, it was a glitch I think, a long time ago.

Yes I agree re the panic shopping and it’s mostly the elderly who will succumb to death.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Nursing Homes are not just for people on their way out. Many in there are quite healthy. The family places them there because they don’t have the means to care for them. Or they admit themselves.

Hospices are where people “on their way out” are placed.

That depends. There are different levels of nursing care facilities.

Independent living facilities would be the type you are thinking of. Assisted living facilities imply some level of physical difficulty with activities of daily living making it hard for the senior to cope with the day to day demands of life. Sometimes that's an underlying health condition and sometimes, that's a simple physical impairment. Memory care facilities are for those suffering from things like Alzheimer's and related dementias. There are long and short-term mursing care facilities where people go when they are suffering from complications of a medical trauma or condition like a stroke or a surgery or a fall or other similar thing and need nursing and therapies to get back to full, daily independence.

And yes, there are hospice facilities.

It doesn't say what this place is.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   
a reply to: violet

Researchers who studied the first two Washington deaths had said the virus may have been spreading there for weeks, 

Ugh.

With such a long gestational period, im not surprised. Now with people who had CV, then tested negative and now are testing positive again and the discovery of multiple strains of CV in Japan, things are going to get scary.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: FlyingSquirrel
The scare is so overblown and stupid imo. BIG business for face mask and hand sanitizer companies though! 92% of the people who have been infected globally have recovered with an 8% mortality rate. That's everyone factored in, the old, those with compromised health that have a myriad of other conditions or diseases.

The deaths in the U.S. have been old people in nursing homes. Nursing homes are the place that elderly who are on their way out are sent by family and doctors because nothing else can be done. And yet, the American public is terrified and you'll probably start seeing a bunch of healthy people walking around with masks on in public soon.

And somewhere in the murky stock market realm with that $6 trillion dollar loss of overall value and mass sell off, somebody is gaining from it I'm sure. Or will be once this all blows over and the stocks stabilize later this year.

If I had investment money and played with the market.. this would be an epic time to make alot of money by the end of 2020.

If this truly has an 8% mortality rate, we're in for an extremely wild ride - potentially civilization-changing. I don't think the rate is that high (other than early statistics in Washington state, but that's like guys being on pace for 200 home runs the first week of the baseball season.)

And I guess "overblown" depends on what you think of it. It seems half of the people think preparation is important, because they've heard of cities on lockdown and people scraping for meals in China and Italy, while the other half think its "sniffles only."

Clearly, the reality will likely be somewhere in-between.

Seeing a 6% mortality rate in the US so far, with a 2.3% mortality rate based on China's numbers tells me this: we're nowhere near a complete understanding. Its quite possible dozens, or hundreds have died of it in the US already, and were mislabeled as "flu deaths", but its also possible many thousands more have been infected and assumed "flu", so the kortality rate could be significantly lower than 2%. We just have no clue yet, as testing only recently began, and only on a very small scale so far.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Take 1 part paranoia and 1 part assumption, and you get....

The Fail Reply of the Day!

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: jadedANDcynical

more firefighters, needing isolation

Orange County Fire Authority firefighters from Engine Company 20 have been placed in isolation “out of an abundance of caution” after they encountered a patient who had traveled internationally and was showing symptoms similar to coronavirus, authorities said Monday.

The crew members, who were placed in isolation Saturday, will remain at a fire station in Irvine until the patient’s test results come back, said Colleen Windsor, the Orange County Fire Authority’s director of communications.

And regarding the latest deaths in Seattle

This isn’t the first time first responders have been exposed the disease. In Seattle, more than 25 firefighters have been quarantined after visiting a nursing home that is at the center of a coronavirus outbreak, according to the International Assn. of Fire Fighters.

LA Times

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

If what some predict is true in that 40 - 70 percent of world's population could get coronavirus and the mortality rate is 1% , that's Tens of millions of deaths! Not all deaths will be the elderly (mostly but not all).

Remember the first death in the United States was in his 50’s, granted he had health issues.

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This thing is so overblown, giving it attention feeds it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join