It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Coronavirus Epidemic in the US Will Be Caused by Our Healthcare System

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Last month, Osmel Martinez Azcue, a Miami resident, returned from a work trip in China with flu-like symptoms. He visited the hospital to make sure he didn't have the coronavirus, the Miami Herald reported.

Azcue had the flu, not the coronavirus. But he has limited insurance coverage and received a claim for $3,270 two weeks after his test. He'll be responsible for about $1,400 of that bill, according to the Herald.

Source

As we stand on the precipice of a potentially world altering pandemic, the US healthcare system is making sure they still get their slice of the pie.

Last month a man who had recently returned from a business trip to China started displaying coronavirus-like symptoms. He did the responsible thing and went to the hospital for testing. The hospital wanted to do a CT scan to determine whether or not he had the dreaded virus. He opted to get the way less expensive flu test first.

It turns out he did have flu, but for that simple test he was given a $3270 bill. I can only imagine what the bill would've been if they had gone along with the CT scan.

So the most reliable test for coronavirus (which apparently isn't that reliable) will cost people without insurance/with junk plans thousands of dollars. I can't see that happening.

On top of that, these are the same people that will go to work sick because they can't afford to take a day off.

If Trump's plan to curb coronavirus in the US actually works, all the kudos to him. If things start to spread though, especially among the poor, I hope people will actually start to consider universal healthcare.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
As the PANIC continues to epic proportions !!!

Get everybody and everything involved a.s.a.p. !! 😆 🥳

In the meantime the desired effects are upon us. The DOW30 down close to 5000 points since Feb 12 🎱 👓 🎱

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

If Trump's plan to curb coronavirus in the US actually works, all the kudos to him.

What is the Trump Administration plan to curb the virus, anyway? So far, all I've seen is wishful thinking, prayer and hope, hope that warmer weather will kill the virus, and that sometime within the next 18 months, a vaccination may be available. But, HHS Secretary Azar can't say it will be affordable.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Every time I stumble across a coronavirus thread I check the status in real-time. The mortality rate is still 3.4% recovery rate is at 43.8% which is up about 3 % from a week ago. It's just going to take a while to burn itself out, they are working on a vaccine. It's been on US soil for about 30 days so if the is going to be a spike it should happen soon.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:29 AM
link   

I fit that bill. People in my area better hope I dont catch it. I cant afford the useless insurance that 50% copays doctor visit with 10k deductible.

I will take a few days off work sure if. But cant afford the doctor bills.

In fact, I would rather die at home then get thousands of dollars in debt and end up losing my home.

I would be happier dead than broke and homeless cause of greedy ass insurance companies and greedy healthcare.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

At this point I don't think the most dangerous fact about this virus is the lethality (although it is currently sitting around Spanish Flu levels), but the impact it is having on an economic level.

China has pretty much been sitting at a standstill for almost a month and the global economy is starting to feel the impact. Now Japan and South Korea are starting to take some fairly drastic actions.

What happens in the US if this starts spreading through people in the service industry and Blue Collar workers? These are the people that allow some of our largest companies to function. How is the economy going to react if Amazon warehouses, Walmarts, and McDonalds need to start closing down due to an epidemic? What happens if we start seeing it pop up among truck drivers who then need to be quarantined?

I don't expect millions to die in this country due to coronavirus. I do think those most susceptible to it are those unseen people that drive our economy and I think they are most likely to pass it on to others.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Oh, the irony of it is astounding.
IF and I say with a big IF, the virus goes haywire, your post very, very true but only one sentence is viable.
On top of that, these are the same people that will go to work sick because they can't afford to take a day off.
What is the crux, what is the important part of that sentence? Can't afford! Brilliant heh, if it rolls, America will sink because "poor" people can't afford it so they HAVE to go to work to survive and they will spread the virus exponentially.
Oh the irony, America the supposed greatest nation on Earth, collapsing because the avaricious greed of it's people with " If you can't pay, you don't get".

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Exactly.

Our entire economic system has been explicitly pro-rich since Reagan's first term. Middle-class wages have been stagnant since then and the number of families under the poverty line have grown, but the rich have seen their income grow by a ridiculous amount.

So now we're at a point where not only can we not guarantee workers in this country adequate healthcare in the face of an epidemic, we can't even pay them enough to take time off to avoid spreading a virus that could potentially be the next Spanish Flu.

I feel like we're on the verge of living in the world that George Romero conceived for Land of the Dead.
edit on 2/28/2020 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Dang! The guy would have been better off pretending to have no insurance and paying cash. Hospitals (and doctors as well) usually cut a deep discount for cash paying patients. For example: Without insurance I paid $150 for a mammogram but with insurance my deductible was nearly $300- twice as much! Hospitals and doctors really gouge people with insurance and don't care how much has to come from out of pocket. I feel terrible for folks with these outrageous deductibles that are in the thousands!

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

You don't want to know.

Freezing banks and trading can happen immediately. Martial law takes at least 24 and as much as 72 hours to implement. This was the 90s though, could be much faster now

Believe me. It's part of the plan. Has been for 40 years. At a minimum I know it's part of State response plans, but most likely federal also. All depends whether or not people want to obey civilian health authorities re quarantine, etc

The plan right now is aggressive quarantine and contact tracing, AKA buying time before we get the first round of vaccine pushed through and Americans are first in line to get that back, starting with healthcare workers

Also those cheering economic collapse/strain are idiots. The economy IS national security and the President you all hate has considerable and unchecked authority to take protective actions. If you don't want to hand the WH near unlimited power to defend the country stop going out of your collective way to spread fear and cheering it on (generally speaking)
edit on 2/28/2020 by JBurns because: Fat fingers on a digital keyboard

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Why did he go to the hospital? Why not an urgent care or his GP?

People who use the ER as their primary care provider are part of the problem.

Btw, I note that China has socialized health care and I can't tell that it helped them any.

I think trying to make the case that anything that happens here because of this virus is because we do or don't have this or that health care system is stupid.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
75% of Americans, work paycheck to paycheck. We really can’t afford a illness like this, as other noted above we GOTO work sick because we can’t afford staying home. Our society is kinda setting us up for a big problem.
edit on 28-2-2020 by Bicent because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Bicent

Aka you're setting society up for failure because of selfish personal reasons?

Your decision to blow money on internet, cell phones, etc vs saving ahead for emergencies is who's fault?

If you're infected quarantine won't be optional. Your workplace can be ordered shuttered as well, under existing public health emergency statutory authority
edit on 2/28/2020 by JBurns because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   

So I guess Europe is going to be fine, right?

Yeah. I didn't think so.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   

What stopped you from getting rich on Bitcoin? Millionaires are made yearly on them by buying low selling high.

Same for defense stocks. They're Sure things. Buy low sell high. What's stopping you?

You and your victim mentality stand in the way of success. It's true, being a "worker" won't make you rich. Investing will, however. And anybody can do it. Start small. A few $100 at a time

Check the stocks I've been touting here for the last two years. Still is big money to be made, especially by buying up he current dips before our market shoots back up. Wait until it settles down a bit, then take out a loan and go big. Defense stocks!! Bipartisan funding no matter who is in charge. Lockheed, Raytheon are two big ones.

And Bitcoin? It drops thousands every single year, buy it up when this happens. Wait until it goes back up to $7500+ then sell it off. Wait until it drops again then snap it back up. Rinse repeat

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Many reports already of workplaces setting plans in place to deal with this. They don't want this to hurt them any more than any of the rest of us. Sick employees causing the whole place to be shut down will do that. So smart businesses will be preparing contingency plans.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:38 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

Mine? On the contrary, just calling spades, spades I am in the 25%. It’s our society, not our great great grandparents.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:50 AM
link   

You just got done saying you can't afford time off work. I said what's stopping you or anyone else from investing? Not a darn thing

The stock market isn't a secret. Anybody can become a stakeholder in a major corporation and part of this vibrant economy.

And you're wrong, society belongs to the people of the United States AKA it's stakeholders. How big that stake is is entirely up to you/each person

Invest in our economy, that's how you make money.

And once again, CDC doesn't care if you can afford time off work. If telework isn't an option, you'll have to make due. Focus on essentials, food water etc

And next time? Plan ahead! This will pass, but smart people are already planning for the *next* major event/pandemic

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
But it is not the 90’s.

Plans from 30-40 years ago won’t work because people have become too dependent on the system. Just In Time delivery and inventory systems have all but eliminated warehousing of supply for business. Major cities will literally have nothing on the shelves after 72 hours of shutdown. If people do not have provisions in their home, they have literally been condemned.

I don’t think we have the military on hand to handle large scale supply drops nationwide. Look at Katrina. Look at Puerto Rico if you think w improved since then. And honestly both of those only count as mid sized city situations. Even if there is no panic or fear induced acts of desperation...it is going to be a mess. And there will be a higher death toll than just letting nature take its course with the recovery and mortality rates observed in China.

A complete shutdown would be almost as bad as a Cold War nuclear exchange.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: JBurns

People need money they can safely gamble away to join in the stock market. Few people can even get together the two months savings necessary for safety in case of an emergency. Most are living week to week, many spending a pittance of spending cash to do something for themselves to keep their morale up. This all being the case you want people to somehow invest... Which has no guarantee of even being successful.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join