It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WIndows 7 re-installing and windows updates.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   
While I use images of my computer to reinstall when things go bad, I am now in the position where I need to do a complete reinstall of win 7.

For example, my computer does not start as it should. It partly starts and hangs on a part of the start up process. I get a message to insert my win 7 cd and select 'repair my computer"

I am also loosing some dll's, my window sizes are all over the place and so forth.

My questions are:

While my images contain all the Win 7 updates up to the date the image was taken, thats great, but can I reformat the computer and do a complete new install and then download all the Win 7 updates from the Microsoft website (or wherever they come from) right up to the point of when they recently stopped supplying win 7 updates?

Is there a away of getting all the win 7 updates out of one of my "C" drive images and place them into the "C" drive of my new complete new installation?

Can I get all the updates out of one of the images?

The last thing I want is a brand new re-install of Win 7 but not be able to access and install any updates.

Sorry if this long winded but I'm just trying to explain the situation and the problem in detail.

Thank you all for your help.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Highly unusual that you would be losing files and startup hangs unless the disk was going bad or a virus was introduced to the system. Ill spare you the corona jokes going through my head and suggest that you need to check the disk(s) both in the event viewer and a S.M.A.R.T. check. Forget about reinstalling if the disk is tanking.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Fix: Update to Windows 10

The update from 7 to 10 is still free.

Article to upgrade to Windows 10

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   
If I am not mistaken, Microsoft no longer supports 7 with updates or otherwise. You can probably find a tech site that still has all the components available but it’s hit or miss if it’s legit. If you are online using 7 you have a big target on you and have sent invitations to come on in to a bunch of nefarious entities. I would suggest update to 10 or one of the free OS available

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I have to agree. Win 10 has a restore function like android now where you don't lose files, just programs. I hate to admit it in plublic but I like win 10.

a reply to: TheLieWeLive

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I remember back when I was working at National Jewish Medical & Research Center I would always be the go-to friend for everyone and their mother with computer problems. Then when I moved I used my computer tech skills to make money on the side. Not that I need to, but I didn't mind helping people, and that was back when Windows XP and 7 were still used, and not everyone had a smart phone.

I don't enjoy the hassle anymore. And I just recommend upgrading to Windows 10. It is so easy to use and is a lot more secure, and better than the other Windows OSes.

Anywho...here is the link to download the Windows 7 SP1 with all updates included from the official MS website (have your product key handy you'll need to enter it to download the ISO):

Windows 7

I would suggest as someone above. You might be having a HDD problem. Open your Windows prompt. You can do that by pressing Windows-R to open the run and type CMD and enter. Type: chkdsk /f /r then restart the computer that will run a basic diagnostic on HDD. If you have the option from your BIOS run a diag on the HDD from there as well.

edit on 27-2-2020 by SimpleIdea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Yes. Windows 7 will still update itself to the most recent, but I suggest you download the iso or usb version from microsoft with Windows media creator on another computer if you have the option. It will be the most up to date install version, and keep you from spending any more time than necessary installing updates.

As others have said, check your hardware, and you can still upgrade to Windows 10 for free. I highly recommend you do so if your hardware checks out.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN
"If you are online using 7 you have a big target on you and have sent invitations to come on in to a bunch of nefarious entities. I would suggest update to 10 or one of the free OS available..."

Could you expand upon this?

I'm interested to know how that could specifically happen since they pulled the support plug on 7.

Windows is an operating system independent of an antivirus program.

What does 10 have that makes 7 completely compromised as you suggest?

Can you run 10 without a antivirus?

Seems like a knee jerk statement, just wondering if it has any merit.

Thanks in advance.

edit on 2/27/2020 by EternalShadow because: eta

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 07:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow

originally posted by: DJMSN
"If you are online using 7 you have a big target on you and have sent invitations to come on in to a bunch of nefarious entities. I would suggest update to 10 or one of the free OS available..."

Could you expand upon this?

I'm interested to know how that could specifically happen since they pulled the support plug on 7.

Windows is an operating system independent of an antivirus program.

What does 10 have that makes 7 completely compromised as you suggest?

Can you run 10 without a antivirus?

Seems like a knee jerk statement, just wondering if it has any merit.

Thanks in advance.

Windows 7 is not receiving support any more. That means any kind of exploit found in the OS, and there no doubt have been many found that have never come to the light of day, can now be used without worry that they will be fixed. And since a large user base still uses Windows 7 it is worth it to try and find those exploits that exist.

An exploit is not a virus. Thus an anti-virus will not help against them. It doesn't matter if you're running an old OS and have no problem with viruses. An exploit makes it vulnerable to any number of outside parties at any time they wish to use them against the OS.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Antivirus and security updates / patches have little in common. AV deals with malicious software, security patches deal with inherent flaws in the OS itself.

Just as with other, old versions of Windows, Microsoft would quietly release a patch for Win 7 if a problem came to light that was widespread and severe enough to pose a large scale risk. But simple exploits would not receive any fixes.

Windows 10 will still receive full patching for all known issues whereas Win 7 will not.

Long story short - Windows 7 is effectively less secure than any OS receiving real time patching. This includes Win 10, iOS, Linux and many others.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Roger that, thank you both.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Sounds like your hard drive has bad sectors right on the boot code.
If you get the "startup repair screen , choose the option to go to the command line (prompt)
Run chkdsk c: /f /r
If it works , still consider a new drive .
If it does not , you may have no choice .

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This is what you want and its free.
just make usb Win 7,10 multiboot with all updates
it is really easy.

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I'd go with a failing HDD being the biggest culprit right now as well, drives have between a 3-5 year warranty normally but it's not uncommon for a drive to last a lot longer than that but its a mechanical device and in the end it will wear out and start to give problems like you describe.

Cheap SSD's will probably be fine and you can even get ones from more reputable manufacturers quite cheap (get them now before supply dries up due to the virus) and will give any comp a major boost.

posted on Feb, 29 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   

A reply to all, I appreciate the advice and input from all contributors but I have made my mind up that I will keep win 7 going for some years yet. My primary concern is obtain and install the updates right up and unitl MS decides to cease providing them. thank you all.

posted on Mar, 1 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Because Microsoft has stopped patching security issues, many of which are known and actively taken advantage of from various viruses and Trojans. I didn’t say it was completely compromised but without any further support from Microsoft, the number of already known security exploitation’s even with Microsoft support it does make the machine vulnerable.

And no, Microsoft does have malware protections included along with a firewall but unless configured and actually operational it’s still vulnerable. I don’t know if Win 10 offers any greater security but it’s the premier version and is still given the attention needed to patch flaws and other issues.

Unless every security patch was downloaded and installed for 7, each update installed and machine configuration is optimal, then there are many backdoors, security loopholes which can be taken advantage of. Doesn’t not mean it will be but it can be. Since win 7 was the most run OS there are viruses designed to specifically wait for one to come by.

www.forbes.com...

Here is an updated article regarding Win 7. They do not support it any longer but it’s still considered a secure platform and is still the number one used by many around the world. I still use it on a couple of my laptops but avoid online use with those and have a newer machine that runs 10. Microsoft attempted to scare users to drive them to 10.

edit on 3/1/2020 by DJMSN because: Addition

posted on Mar, 26 2020 @ 08:29 AM
link   

posted on Jul, 30 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive

Fix: Update to Windows 10

The update from 7 to 10 is still free.

Article to upgrade to Windows 10

Ahhhh....."Update" to Windows 10 you say? (I like you call it an update instead of an upgrade because it is definitely not an upgrade lol ).

Yeah. I have come to the conclusion that (today's) Microsoft (in general) and Windows 10 in particular is what you get when you let a bunch of soulless computer nerds design an operating system and run the company that basically owns the desktop PC. They haven't really done anything technically wrong but they have zero empathy so they just plain don't give a # about the end user. So they couldn't care less if you would rather manage your own time and decide when to do this or that or what you actually want your computer doing.

Give someone like that a problem to solve and the last thing that will ever cross their mind is how people will feel about it. It's like an OS that was designed by Adam Lanza. These are the same types who have alienated just about everyone who has ever tried to switch to Linux. Which, fundamentally, there is no reason on earth why Linux should not have put Microsoft out of business and given the world free OS by now. No reason on earth....except one. The people who develop and "support" it are a bunch of soulless computer nerds and control freaks who have complete contempt for the people who actually have to use their software.

I recently had a nice experience with a seller on Amazon who I bought a relatively inexpensive product from YEARS ago! Now this means that the product I bought has been out of warranty for years. But it finally gave up and died and I was a little upset about it because I didn't use it hard or abuse it. So I took to Amazon and wrote a review and gave it like two stars and said I wasn't buying another one. The same day, the seller contacted me and told me they would send me a brand new one free of charge. I was blown away. And as promised, I got it two days later.

Obviously, they could have ignored that bad review and there wouldn't have been anything I could do about it. They had so many good reviews my review would have been buried.

Microsoft has monopolized the world and made gazillions on Windows for decades and this is how they repay us? If I had a choice I'd go to Linux (I still might) but it is dominated by the same kind of sociopathic control freaks as Microsoft and the whole thing just makes me wanna puke.

posted on Jul, 31 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: BrianFlanders

The reason MS seem so bad is that they have to doff their cap to the big corporate clients who really want innovation but don't want to lose any backwards support which does place them at a rather troubled point. Linux could and should piddle all over MS's chips but the ecosystem is so fragmented that there is other than the raw kernel not a lot of guidance going forward and with loads of different desktop interfaces which seem to go in and out of developer favour do you want to settle on one only to find out that the devs have a spat and your UI is left in limbo?

top topics

join