It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible CoronaVirus Outbreak Milton Keynes U.K

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Stripey

As long as it's not Mr Brittas in charge I'm sure everything will be fine.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Nope im sure there are others prepared or being prepared.

We hope lol

Not sure if you've seen this, or how much of it is true, pretty worrying all the same

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stripey
I live about 2 miles from the hotel and conference facility in Milton Keynes currently being used as a quarantine. I'm also a member of the gym/health club on site, which is detached from the main building but usually open to hotel guests.

The gym is temporarily not supplying towels like they usually do.

As far as I'm aware, there is no panic or fear from the majority of people in this city. The shops are as busy as they always are, schools are open, clubs and groups continue to meet.

I'm not sure if this is just a local thing or wider across the UK, but there is a local shortage of hand sanitizer. A lot of shops and supermarkets have sold out. I think the general population in the UK are taking some basic precautions and I don't think it has anything to do with being near to a quarantine facility. Just take a look on Amazon, DIY shops etc and face masks are either sold out or quadrupled in price.

I suspect it's the poorly informed, paranoid or anxious who are worried. For most of us, this will pass unnoticed like winter flu does every year (which still causes many deaths).

You sound way to confident, there isn't very many people educated on the issue which believes it will pass unnoticed

Here are some

I think it is likely we will see a global pandemic. If a pandemic happens, 40% to 70% of people world-wide are likely to be infected in the coming year. What proportion is asymptomatic, I can't give a good number
Prof. Marc Lipsitch
Prof. of Epidemiology, Harvard School of Public Health
Head, Harvard Ctr. Communicable Disease Dynamics
Feb. 14, 2020

This is really a global problem that’s not going to go away in a week or two.

What makes this one perhaps harder to control than SARS is that it may be possible to transmit before you are sick.

I think we should be prepared for the equivalent of a very, very bad flu season, or maybe the worst-ever flu season in modern times.
Prof. Marc Lipsitch
Feb. 11, 2020

t could infect 60% of global population if unchecked
Prof. Gabriel Leung
Expert on coronavirus epidemics
Chair of Public Health Medicine
Hong Kong University
Feb. 11, 2020

It’s a new virus. We don’t know much about it, and therefore we’re all concerned to make certain it doesn’t evolve into something even worse
Prof. W. Ian Lipkin
Epidemiology Director
Columbia University
Feb. 10, 2020

Increasingly unlikely that the virus can be contained
Dr. Thomas R. Frieden
(Former Director of CDC)
Feb. 2, 2020

The number of reports from multiple different countries in the past 36 hours showing what is most likely community human to human spread of SARS-CoV-2 confirms fears that the virus is on its way to causing a pandemic
Prof. Dr. Benhur Lee, MD
Professor of Microbiology
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS)
Feb. 21, 2020

It’s very, very transmissible, and it almost certainly is going to be a pandemic. But will it be catastrophic? I don’t know
Dr. Anthony S. Fauci
(Director, National Inst. Allergy and Infectious Disease)
Feb. 2, 2020

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 07:33 AM
link   
a reply to: CrastneyJPR

I'm pretty sure it's normal flu, because there are no reports of CV in my area, I haven't been abroad in years and I haven't been in contact with anyone who has been abroad recently. Also, it's bloody flu season! If you read my post properly, you would see that it's my boss insisting that I come in, so if they do all get it, it's their own fault.

It is not illegal to not pay sick pay. Legally, they have to pay statutory sick pay if you're off for a long period of time, but it's not worth claim if you have a few days off for a cold/flu. Also, you can't really live on the amount you do get paid statutory sick. It's not a matter of my needs being more important, it's the fact that if I'm not getting paid, I can't buy food to feed my family.

edit on 28-2-2020 by nik1halo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

Well "they" Kicked the dog when it's down, indiscriminately cut, sliced and diced, the funding required to run the service for the past decade.

Is it any wonder the NHS say lifesaving care is in jeopardy down to lack of funding?

A virus that potentially kills the old, infirm or anyone in an immunocompromised situation?

This is a Tory wet dream really if it does what it says on the tin.

www.theguardian.com... yCKiuby5ThiqwVr6zmbav5zv8yGYAOQ
edit on 28-2-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

originally posted by: Stripey
I live about 2 miles from the hotel and conference facility in Milton Keynes currently being used as a quarantine. I'm also a member of the gym/health club on site, which is detached from the main building but usually open to hotel guests.

The gym is temporarily not supplying towels like they usually do.

As far as I'm aware, there is no panic or fear from the majority of people in this city. The shops are as busy as they always are, schools are open, clubs and groups continue to meet.

I'm not sure if this is just a local thing or wider across the UK, but there is a local shortage of hand sanitizer. A lot of shops and supermarkets have sold out. I think the general population in the UK are taking some basic precautions and I don't think it has anything to do with being near to a quarantine facility. Just take a look on Amazon, DIY shops etc and face masks are either sold out or quadrupled in price.

I suspect it's the poorly informed, paranoid or anxious who are worried. For most of us, this will pass unnoticed like winter flu does every year (which still causes many deaths).

You sound way to confident, there isn't very many people educated on the issue which believes it will pass unnoticed

Here are some

I think it is likely we will see a global pandemic. If a pandemic happens, 40% to 70% of people world-wide are likely to be infected in the coming year. What proportion is asymptomatic, I can't give a good number
Prof. Marc Lipsitch
Feb. 14, 2020

This is really a global problem that’s not going to go away in a week or two.

What makes this one perhaps harder to control than SARS is that it may be possible to transmit before you are sick.

I think we should be prepared for the equivalent of a very, very bad flu season, or maybe the worst-ever flu season in modern times.
Prof. Marc Lipsitch
Feb. 11, 2020

t could infect 60% of global population if unchecked
Prof. Gabriel Leung
Expert on coronavirus epidemics
Chair of Public Health Medicine
Hong Kong University
Feb. 11, 2020

It’s a new virus. We don’t know much about it, and therefore we’re all concerned to make certain it doesn’t evolve into something even worse
Prof. W. Ian Lipkin
Epidemiology Director
Columbia University
Feb. 10, 2020

Increasingly unlikely that the virus can be contained
Dr. Thomas R. Frieden
(Former Director of CDC)
Feb. 2, 2020

The number of reports from multiple different countries in the past 36 hours showing what is most likely community human to human spread of SARS-CoV-2 confirms fears that the virus is on its way to causing a pandemic
Prof. Dr. Benhur Lee, MD
Professor of Microbiology
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS)
Feb. 21, 2020

It’s very, very transmissible, and it almost certainly is going to be a pandemic. But will it be catastrophic? I don’t know
Dr. Anthony S. Fauci
(Director, National Inst. Allergy and Infectious Disease)
Feb. 2, 2020

I'm not denying that it's very contagious, but currently the evidence suggests that most people (i.e. under 60s, decent health etc) IF they catch it will be fine after a week or two of flu like symptoms. So I'm still not too concerned. I'm more concerned about people panic buying and not leaving any stuff in the shops for my family. Luckily it hasnt come to that yet and there is no shortage of food in the shops.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join