It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers cure mice of diabetes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

Actually, I have reactive hypoglycemia, where I make too much insulin if triggered by excessive consumption of quick acting carbs, It feels like I could run a marathon, then when the sugar wears off, I crash.

Me too

I just use a modified Atkins diet. Zero sugar, low carb, small bites of protein every 4 hours.

Been doing it for 50 years. Works great.

I can’t do fast food. There is so much sugar (and salt) in fast food. One MCD hamburger will set me off.

It’s no wonder there’s a rise in diabetes.

posted on Oct, 22 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

originally posted by: rickymouse

Actually, I have reactive hypoglycemia, where I make too much insulin if triggered by excessive consumption of quick acting carbs, It feels like I could run a marathon, then when the sugar wears off, I crash.

Me too

I just use a modified Atkins diet. Zero sugar, low carb, small bites of protein every 4 hours.

Been doing it for 50 years. Works great.

I can’t do fast food. There is so much sugar (and salt) in fast food. One MCD hamburger will set me off.

It’s no wonder there’s a rise in diabetes.

I have narrowed it down to the buns at McDonalds that effect me the most. The buns at BK were bad for years, but since they changed their chemistry at BK so the buns actually mold, I have been able to tolerate them again better. It must be a chemical preservative in them that was causing me to not digest them properly, I thought it might be DATEM but I am not sure. DATEM is now in a lot of breads at stores too, but I can eat some of these without having my digestion go blah but most of them make the bread sit in my gut like McDs buns do. So either the concentration is lower in the bread on the ones I can eat, or there are combinations that mess up my digestion. It is hard to track a specific chemistry I am intolerant to. It has taken me years to try to figure out what is causing it, and even now I am not positive which chemicals give me the problem. My wife can eat McDs burgers with no problem, but not me.

If I eat high sugar foods now, I will get a spinny head an hour or so later, drinking a glass of water quickly will stop the spins from progressing and taking me down. It is common with hypoglycemia when people get older I guess, before I used to just have my hands start to shake and I would have to eat a peanut butter cup. For some reason the Reeses PB cups would stop the shakes, sugar foods just made them come out in another hour, so I have eaten thousands of peanut butter cups over the last sixty years. If I ate candy it was pb cuts or peanut M&Ms, both seemed to keep the shaking demon away the best. Sunflower seeds and peanuts also worked good.

I can't drink a glass of orange juice without risking crashing, but I can eat a few oranges for some crazy reason. I cannot drink really sweet anything, except mountain dew....for some reason that can stop the shakes, and now the head spins. But water works just as good. I always have water or mountain dew in the car just in case I start to get light headed. Usually people on meds get the problem I have, but because of my hypoglycemia, I have always been at risk. It just got worse when I got older.

We make almost all our meals from scratch, and I cannot eat much spaghetti or lasagna, which the wife loves. She makes the best lasagna I ever had, a recipe handed down from her mothers sister. You can buy a tray of lasagna from the store frozen that costs less than what she makes, but there is no comparison. It is worth the risk to eat her lasagna and spaghetti, I just have to keep some water or Dew around. Coke works too, but not as good as Mountain dew does...it is strange why that is. Water is free though. Diet sodas are bad too, I have not figured out why though. The spinning head is because my BP drops drastically when I get a hypoglycemic event, the muscles release a chemistry that expands and makes the blood vessels permeable and then fluid goes out to induce the breakdown of fats in stores which causes a quick lowering of blood pressure. Hypoglycemia creates hypovolemia which lowers BP in the brain, rehydration by drinking something restores blood volume...except for coffee, for some reason chugging a cup of coffee makes it worse.

It took reading over a hundred full research conclusion from many medical journal articles to piece this together and find out why it occurs and figure out the best way to stop an attack. This is directly related to my type of tachychardia I inherited from my fathers side, I have no doubt that the hypovolemic/hypoglycemic event could kill someone or cause brain damage, if I don't shoot down at least eight ounces of fluids fast, I wind up with a headache that lasts up to two days and brainfog that lasts up to four days. I also have hyponatremia, genetically, I pee out way too much salt, for me I get low on salt and I have no energy, I have to eat the upper intake limit of RDA a day. It is genetics shared my some Asians and Inuit people. Y chromosome.
edit on 22-10-2020 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1   >>

join