It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

mobile spam calls - any solution ??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Had this number since 92.
It's actually a county employee private number. No debt here to.

But I may have too😑

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 10:15 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

this works in NY not sure if your state has similar laws. if you receive a robocall or any telemarketing call from a U.S. company that you did not agree to through “express consent,” you can sue and receive compensation:

Step 1: put your patient well mannered adult pants on.
Step 2: take the bait and talk to a person
Step 3: find out the company name
Step 4: do a bit of research online finding out mailing address of company
Step 5: send them a strongly worded letter that they are in violation of the law (TRACED Act IIRC) and you are offering them a chance to settle for $500.00 before you file for a lawsuit.
Step 6: cash the check you got from them for $500.00

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
starting saturday - i have had 7 mobile calls - none leve a message

3 on sat - all unanswered as i was unavailiable

1 sunday

2 tuesday

1 today

all different numbers - that i can find no info on - using spam caller websites

now its pissing me off - blocking each number - retro activly - is pointless as none call twice

is there any sensible solution ???

i cannot block " all numbers not in contacts " - for various reasons - so please dont suggest that

If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it. If it's important, they will leave voicemail.

My backup/burner phone, which is only for when my main phone might puke out, has been getting two to three spam calls per day. I get at least one robocall per day on my main phone.

We're being hit hard by Bloomberg, whom I can't stand.

If it rings, and it's not someone you know, walk away.

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I had a slew of numbers calling me for about 6 months.

I finally answered one and I got lucky it was a person reading a script.

I said, "Is this a prank caller?"

They said, "No sir I'm calling to tell you about exclusive deals blah blah blah.."

Me: Well I'm expecting a prank caller and you're tying up my line!"

Them:.........?

These handful of numbers never called again. Be sure to mess with their minds. It works on the bots too. I've had bots hang up on me.

Just don't say stuff like "Yes, I consent" when messing with them on the phone and you'll be fine.

edit on 26-2-2020 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 26 2020 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Well, this might be a solution if you get a live person...

At the very least, they won't call back.

They call me a LOT, but my phone number is public, it's the nature of my occupation. I don't answer my phone unless I know the caller. Everyone else leaves a message, or they don't receive a callback.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 04:47 AM
link   
ok - we is now up to 10 calls - all from different numbers

i have not answered or reply any - anf none leaves any message

points raised -

no i cannot change my number

no i cannot block any unknown callers

i am in the UK - so " fixes " - that reply on laws passed in some other juristiction dont help

all are mobile numbers - and nothing i did last week would accout for this sudden frenzy

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I have put in place 2 mostly effective solutions:

I have a $20 a month landline. I use this number for everything. The only people who get my cell number are friends and family plus businesses unlikely to sell my cellular phone number like my Doctor.(too late for you probably).

I have caller ID on my home phone and a little machine attached to it that calls out the name of the caller. I NEVER answer any call with an unknown caller ID or an unknown name.

The same with my cell phone, if I don't know the number, or the caller, I NEVER answer it.

If someone really wants to talk to me they will leave a message. I can then call them back.

I also tell businesses if their phone calls are marked unknown by caller ID, I will not answer the call. Then sometimes they say, OH it is driver "JOE" who will be coming and the caller ID will have his name on it.

Both my home phone and cell phone have this message on the answering machine "If you are a friend, family member, or business I love, or I have asked you to call please leave a message after the beep. If you are a political caller, sales call, or scammer, Put Me On Your Do Not Call list." My friends and family love the message and all understand. I normally have 4 or more "unknown" calls a day that hang up as soon as the second part of the message begins. They know if they get to the last sentence they must legally not call my number again.

I don't think there is a way to be rid of all span callers, but I have hit on a way to slow them down and stop having them annoy me. I have had a few business that I want to hear from say "I'm not sure if I am a business you love, but I think so, and proceed with their message." When I call them back I always get "I love your message."

I used to get a lot more spam calls, but since doing this they have nearly halved. I don't think anything will stop them.

Oh yes, I have a ringtone for every person/business/medical person etc. I want to hear from on my cell phone. My family members and close friends all each have their own unique ringtone. But I know it is important to answer from those ringtones alone. Yes that takes time.

I have another default ringtone. Just the ringing of the default ringtone lets me know it is not from someone I know and can be ignored safely. I'll look later to see if they left a message. Spam callers don't bother with leaving messages.

edit on 2/27/20 by The2Billies because: addition

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

I get them several times a day, and have for a while. I've learned to just ignore them. Blocking is pointless because the number is always different. Usually, the area code and prefix are local (and the exact same as mine), but i also get some national, and occasionally an international, one. If I don't know the number, no answer. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they can leave a message or text.

The most recent *scam* left via voicemail is telling me that my SSN has been suspended. Yeah, suspended.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

I get them several times a day, and have for a while. I've learned to just ignore them. Blocking is pointless because the number is always different. Usually, the area code and prefix are local (and the exact same as mine), but i also get some national, and occasionally an international, one. If I don't know the number, no answer. If someone wants to get a hold of me, they can leave a message or text.

The most recent *scam* left via voicemail is telling me that my SSN has been suspended. Yeah, suspended.

My husband got that same scam in a text.

He doesn't do what I do for my cell and he gets tons of spam calls, while I get less than half the number he does with the protections I have put in place for my cell phone.

The absolute worst thing you can do is to answer a call from an unknown number or person.
Doing that sets you up for multiple more scam calls.
You want more scam calls - answer calls from unknown numbers and names -
that guarantees it will get worse.

Someone who really wants to reach you will leave a message.

edit on 2/27/20 by The2Billies because: format

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
For thos in the US, you can look into an app called robo revenge if you're getting slammed by robo calls.

Supposedly it gives a fake credit card number for tracing purposes and sets the stage so you can sue the robo caller. I believe it's 3,000 dollars per instance. Keep in mind I'm sure it's not that easy to get the money.... However, if it becomes widely used, it may curb robo calling until they find another way to skirt the system.

Its a great app. The key is the credit card. It creates a paper trail rom which you can identify the clearinghouse through which the funds go to the spammer. So you sue them, use long-arm" jurisiction to get personaljurisiction over the spammer, get a deault judgment since the spammer wont show in court, and then get a seizure order against the spammers funds in the identified clearinghouse. That way you get your $3,000. It probably will en up being $2,000 in your pocket, since the procedure is complex enough to need a lawyer, and he/she will want a third o the recovery.

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 05:23 PM
link   

It is probably Mike Bloomberg , my wife and I get calls and messages . My reply was no way no how aint happening .

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join