It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shrove Tuesday Football..

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Today is Shrove Tuesday, a religious day of worship preceding Lent.

en.wikipedia.org...

Here in the UK and I think in places like Australia and New Zealand it is also known Pancake Tuesday where traditionally we eat pancakes prior to the fasting that occurs during Lent.

en.wikipedia.org...

Shrove Tuesday is better known as Mardi Gras in many other countries.

en.wikipedia.org...

But it is also the day of a relatively unknown phenomenon outside of a few small places in the UK; Shorve Tuesday Football.

These games take place in a few towns throughout the UK and despite attempts to eliminate and tame the games they are still quite rough and have become entrenched in local traditions.

One such game takes place in Sedgefield, County Durham.
Back in the late 80's when I was in my early 20's I went to Sedgefield and tried to take part in it.
Unfortunately I never even got to touch the ball but it was great fun, plenty of rough and tumble and LOTS of liquid refreshment during the day and subsequent night time revelry.

These football games hark back to the very start of what has become football as we know it with their roots going back to at least the 15thcentury and probably even earlier.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

Here's a great article on the BBC website on the subject.
www.bbc.co.uk...

If you ever get the opportunity to watch or even participate in one of these games I really do recommend it, I guarantee you'll have a fantastic time.....but wrap up, it can get bloody cold.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this, I didn't realise people still played this version of Football, I haven't heard about it since the 80's.
edit on 25-2-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Health and Safety 'experts' and what are now generally known as 'snowflakes' tried their best to tame the game in Sedgefield but the locals resisted every single attempt and I think they've now given up.

It is fantastic fun and whilst it sure is rough there is no obvious malice involved - I wouldn't be surprised if a few minor scores were settled during the course of the game.

I think its great that traditions like this continue and hopefully one year I'll get to witness it again - it is only a 15-20minute drive up the road for me - this time purely from the sidelines.

new topics

join