It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do any of the 3M filters protect against Corona Virus?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:28 AM
link   
I have a full face respirator with a self contained battery powered filtration system.

It uses replaceable cartridges and I currently have it set up for micro-particle hazards (AKA Asbestos).

It uses off the shelf 3M filters. Does anybody know if 3M make a filter that would be good against Corona Virus?

Or against anything that the government might spray on us trying to kill of Corona virus (I've seen all kinds of pictures of spraying in Asia and I have no idea what they might try to do here)?

I know about the N95 face masks, but I want to be extra sure in a bugout situation (The respirator also acts as an AC, and is light enough to be ortable)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

as you has 2 threads - that address identical questions - from 2 different angles

i shall give a second answer :

again - i do not mean this to be insulting - to the OP or anyone else - but .........................

ok - instead of directly adressing the question - lets educate

there are " certain filters " that have a design // materials and cpec that will give a level of protection against many viral agent - not just 19 N cov - if you understand why those are the correct filters for biohazards - then ...........

you cite the " asbestos protection " - given by the unit " as configured " - do you understand why // how - asbestos protection filters work - hint - a physical property of asbestos particles [ the same one that makes them a health hazard - is used in the design // materials of P3 filters - to specifically protect against asbestos

does any viral agent - share this property ????????????????

i will repeat a key peace from my last reply - correct use is almost as important - as correct filter - the ammount of people - that missuse the right filters - for various threats is mind blowing -
there is also 2 materials - that are common in bio hazard filters - can you name either ????????????/

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:02 AM
link   
You will need one with a solid HE Particulate rating if using a PAPR. For our BSL-3 work we use Versaflo TR-600s with TR-6710N NIOSH Approved HEPA filters. They also have others for different research environments. Nothing is getting to you through this thing if it is sealed or used properly. The problem arises when you swap out the HEPA filter, that's when you will get sick. We change our filters in a controlled biological safety cabinet and then autoclave them to add an additional round of safety. Wipe down the entire unit and layers of PPE with each and every use. Way too much of a hassle to protect yourself from a virus that will circulate throughout the planet for the rest of our lives.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: TheAMEDDDoc

The problem arises when you swap out the HEPA filter, that's when you will get sick.

I've wondered about this. I think this is the reason so many doctors & nurses in China are getting sick.
They must be taking their protective gear off all willy nilly and infecting themselves. Some of their protective gear is a joke too, plastic bags tied around their feet with a rubber band??!!

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   
very little is impervious and if you are in close proximity and not in a full suit then exposure is still almost certain.

But if you have a mask and glasses and manage to avoid prolonged contact with crowds then they will still improve your odds of staying free of infection.

Its a better than nothing option, smallest micro filter you can find is what you want.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:32 AM
link   

The problem arises when you swap out the HEPA filter, that's when you will get sick.

I know the military trained me to prep the new filter take a deep breather remove your old and connect the new and that should minimize infection risk, but if you are exhausted and worn down its easy to screw up.

ETA: Especially if you have not regularly trained with the equipment.
edit on 23-2-2020 by Irishhaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

Ugh, I didn’t even think about that and living in these things. I was talking about the research environment and healthcare. Our new NBC masks in the military are awesome and easy to switch plus it seals when you take off the filter so either change it or your suffocate.

PAPRs are more difficult, I couldn’t comfortably swap a filter in a minute without significant training. In our research environment we teach to slowly blow out as we get out of the room if we have a pack issue. You would need a buddy system and practice. They would have to set up some type of positive pressure sealed clean zones in real life, I have never trained on powered respiratory changing if we couldn’t get to a cold zone. We have always had the three separate areas, something to read about now.

Most of our rooms are around 25 airflow changes an hour so you’re talking like 20 minutes minimum before you can reenter if you have a contamination event. Plus we always wipe down the entire outside of our units to prevent fomite contamination.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes most definitely a problem, I bet they’re using PPE more than once too which will easily drop protection effectiveness rates into the 70s from the high 90s especially when exposed to oxidizing chemicals used to wipe down. If they don’t then you have fomite spread.

I have seen the tape and bands with non permeable bags or covers, this can work but you really need to watch decon and wipe down procedures. China like with the initial Ebola outbreak had quite a bit of healthcare professionals get exposed and infected compared to other populations. We get comfortable and take shortcuts when nothing is really going on, in these fields you can’t do that. I’ve done it and been worried before, not a good place to be in.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Not any kind of expert but I'd venture a guess that anything that offers a full seal with a decent filter is better than nothing but you're probably still better off if you have a fully stocked bugout shelter out in the middle of nowhere away from people. I doubt very many people could survive more than a couple weeks cut off from society and filter masks are not cheap. How many of them would you go through and how do you sanitize the rest of the mask in between uses? Seems like you'd be better off with disposable masks.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Not sure about the medical grade stuff, but I am old enough to remember the verbiage used in training years ago, our filters were made for approximately 8 hours usage (some variability depending how heavy the exposure was) and was primarily meant to allow you to get out of a contaminated area.

Now a days it says 8-12 hours working in a contaminated area, haven't been able to find out why the change in wording when its still effectively the same filter with just a different container for the new masks.

Another odd though, imagine you just pulled a 16 hour shift working with sick people, you are physically and mentally exhausted (lets ignore contamination when removing ppe) can you remember how long you have been on that filter, or will you remember when you wake up to put on a new filter...(assuming you have fresh filters)

All I had to do was mop 4 while working on Airplanes, that's easy... caring for sick people during an outbreak that's terrifying.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:37 PM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies
Since the virus can be contracted via the eyes and ears won't you need a full face and ear protection?

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I think what others are saying is there is always going to be a risk
unless in a lab environment with strict controls
best is to avoid exposure period
but short of heading to the mountains for years,i think its reasonable to assume most of us will get this
a vaccine WILL be created ,its just a matter of time
Until then stay healthy,eat well and exercise
If there was ever a time to stop smoking,it's now

edit on 23-2-2020 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 04:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

That’s really cool, I’m due to take a BSL4 course at Fort Detrick but we’re up for deployment and we have to deal with that first. Hopefully this thing dies down by then. MOPP gear is awful, the new stuff is much better and way more comfortable.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Here's some info I have

• Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Patients with Confirmed 2019 Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) or Persons Under Investigation for 2019-nCoV in Healthcare Settings www.cdc.gov...
o NIOSH Certified Equipment List www.cdc.gov...
 Includes a comment at the bottom of the page:
• NIOSH welcomes your feedback on the updated version. Any comments can be directed to [email protected].
o Respiratory Training Videos
www.osha.gov...

new topics

top topics

join