It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have we broken the Truman Show

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I always liked Truman's "best" buddy Marlon, played by Noah Emmerich (whose impressive "Chiclets" sized teeth were only rivaled by Matt Damon's in the 1990's).

I recall that scene where Marlon tries to talk Truman out of leaving over a few beers on the beach. (Don't they even have a proper red-light district in this make-believe backwater?)

But yeah, he's the typical nay-saying "friend" in your life: "Those are just dreams us guys think of sitting on the can".
He tells Truman something to that effect.
What, no Reader's Digest in this doo-doo hole?
But hey that was a time when most teenagers were still confined to the artificial environment of the now diminishing American mall.
So we could relate.

I always liked Emmerich as a best buddy - strong and dependable, yet too goofy or daft to upstage the lead actor.
Thinking in the cinema at the time, I wish Truman would say: "OK, I'll stop questioning things and stay, if you and I could shack up ...".

Now that would have been a directorial quandary.
You'll go gay for how much pay?
Just convince Truman to stay.
In a week we'll just tell Truman you're being shipped off to Iraq or something.
But he's coming back after his tour of duty - you'll meet again some sunny day.
But that was before gay marriage, and the days of "don't-ask-don't tell", so when Truman is further traumatized by being told Marlon fell (which he thinks should be an unmentionable secret), he needs an even bigger metaphorical carrot to keep him put.
Hang in there (OK Truman's gay, we need Tom Cruise here pronto!).
One day on the beach: "Hey buddy, wanna play volleyball?"
"Sure, oh my, what robust teeth you have ...".
edit on 23-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Hello

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Brian4real

(For those that dont know, the wands carried by sorcerers and wizards were made from branches of Holly)

I love that information, thankyou.

I have wild holly in my garden. Strong and long branched bush. Not particularly pretty or anything, but it just became special.

Thankyou.

I will make a wand and let you know when it's done so YOU can enjoy the first spell. (after testing for health and safety reasons.)

Frog or toad?

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sabrechucker
a reply to: vethumanbeing

It's rather clear to me that this movie is a threat to us all to..fall in line.

Which we have done, for the most part, in the same way that the Terminator films have taught us to accept/trust Robots as routine.

Very Dangerous Times

Its no mistake what media feeds us through movies, tv shows and news. Just like it is no mistake the direction politics plays in that role of directing us plebs.

The people that fashion and design this system are very good at what they do and have doing it a longtime, they don't make mistakes.

Great thread...

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: halfoldman

I might be worried that I understand what your getting at.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 08:58 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Looking back..Who would have guessed, The Terminator and The Trueman Show would hold such significance..

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Enderdog

Maybe casting "Actors" is much simpler if their not really acting?

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   

a reply to: halfoldman

I might be worried that I understand what your getting at.

I was just thinking, if the Truman show was real.

"Psst, hey Truman, it's all a show ...".

"I know, been smoking with these producers behind the fake dunes for years.
But they say go with it - you're the only child star that's still famous on reality TV.
It's this or living on a pavement and washing cars".
edit on 23-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   
a reply to: SouthernGift

It's not a stretch to believe that "Hellywood" is just an extension of the # funked arm of the lovely 'CIA"..

They honestly wouldn't be doing their job if it was anything else.

Central Intelligence Agency...AKA..Infiltrate Everything and control it.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Enderdog
Maybe casting "Actors" is much simpler if their not really acting?

I thought 'Hollywood' and stage acting was just a mimic of what is happening in the Universe (Important Government Officials portrayed as Hero's). We play act their (demi-god's) whims/dramas. We are them on/at human scale. Who would ever believe we are grand actor 'archetypes' in a giant Soap Opera.
edit on 23-2-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:37 PM
link   

How clever of them to assign us roles..to a Movie we never agreed to be a part of..

edit on 23-2-2020 by Sabrechucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

How clever of them to assign us roles..to a Movie we never agreed to be a part of..

We kind of did. We created all of this. We have assigned roles (quell the Karma)...stop the wheel. No more respite no more accumulation of karma wheel negative energies.

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   

How much of that was a human being cognizant..

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Strange, the Truman Show was actually one of the last movies I saw together with my mum in the cinema.
Fortunately still with me, but cinema is forgotten.

Long before streaming, talking 1998.

So mom asked, what's good? I'm like "The Truman Show". Let's go watch that.
Second time for me, but mom really liked it.
I mean forget all the social critical and prophetic things about the movie, it has a gripping human story.
edit on 24-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 01:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Sabrechucker

Yes Hollywood was created to control America. People always think it is just for the money. Nope. They want control.

So yes again.

And look how Jim Carey has become such an anti-American scum. The Left, Hollywood, all their mindless drones they handle, the politicians who want to grab your gun and all the rabid outright Communists are getting bathed in the light right about now. Good Americans are waking up to the propaganda.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Truman, happily at 98.

"Sir, what's your secret?"

"Young man, I love to say beer and sex on the beach".

Thank you very much, you do know your whole life was a big reality TV show?

"No I did not?"

"Well aren't you shocked?"

"No you imbecile, of course I'm shocked. Just saying those burgers I put in the microwave when I was 35 were really vegan. Did I ever tell you I was vegan for 25 years?"

"Yes we all know - Truman's Bible of Vegan Cooking. But we all saw you slipping an egg or a slice of cheese - and that fish you had four times".

"You counted the times I had fish"?
Here comes the heart-attack.

On that note, goodnight to the Truman Show
edit on 24-2-2020 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Just an outside thought, or more so a question, for anyone about their feelings watching the movie.

Who do you feel sorry for? Is it Truman? The guy who seems to have a great life (within the unseen prison walls), that is really all fake, and yet he gets to go through the pain of realisation that non of it is real.... a reality that ultimately doesn't really reveal anything to him, to then wake up and grow beyond...

Or do you feel sorry for everyone that is living through him, carrying their hopes, the watchers obsessed by everything he does?

Or do you feel sorry for the controller, who's power is all derived from Truman remaining in the maze, and will stop at nothing to prevent his escape?

I always thought it was Truman, but really, he is the most fortunate of them all despite his prison.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 10:11 PM
link   
a reply to: saladfingers123456

Intriguing..

Truman didn't know any better but, was played the hardest.

The controller knew what he was doing but, didn't anticipate the emotions.

The viewers "us" actually invested their time and emotion into a false reality.

Conclusion: The Viewers

edit on 24-2-2020 by Sabrechucker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   

How much of that was a human being cognizant..

ZERO (human as shill participant only).

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Truman knew long before his escape he was controlled, What caused him to drive in circles?. Was he proving a point or, waiting for a countermove?. what an educational film.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join