It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WOW breathable oxygen found on another planet

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: PandaPrincess

The found molecular oxygen existed 581 million years ago. Headline is quite the sensational one.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 12:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
Headline is quite the sensational one.

Besides being wrong...

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Pretty much what always happens when they write a science piece.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: PandaPrincess

The big picture is that we are not the only game in town. Just because some Earth humans may think otherwise, it's just their unconsidered opinion, while what I say, is really just as unconsidered..I'm not a scientist.
However, even scientists, or some of them, have the same failings and talk about intelligent design without too much thought AKA, abductive reasoning, which, while somewhat considered, is, or can still be something rooted in their upbringing......and which is a problem for say, those scientist who have an evolutionary, 'from the stars to what we are' bent.
So, you have scientists with a certain religious 'baggage' and those who don't, who will tell us, the plebs what is what?? even though accepted scientific premise' shifts all the time, while any shifting is still rooted in those scientific minds, which arguably still retain the baggage, even goal, to make the case.
So stardust we may be, but who/what made the stars, the big bang, that really means we came from the big bang then...the expansion of the vacuum of space, so this expansion of space will have a marker/markers of some kind all through that expansion, and if we are an end result of the marker/markers, Thus far, then we/it are everywhere/somewhere.

edit on 22-2-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

originally posted by: Gothmog
Sorry , I have to laugh at all "glorified" headlines and stories.
Does anyone really think anyone could detect anything at that distance ?
Especially with any kind of surety.

Yes.

You can actually tell the gasses in a planets atmosphere by analyzing the light that reflects off of it.

True story.

www.nasa.gov...

No.
The words were "may have".

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I think deep down most people feel as I do - in a universe this big it is supremely arrogant to assume we are the most intelligent life. I am not entirely certain we are the most intelligent life on this planet, let alone the entire universe.

According to the Drake Equation and the Fermi Paradox there should be roughly 100,000 intelligent alien civilizations in our galaxy. But the galaxy is a pretty big place. Our nearest neighbors aren't exactly a stones throw down the street. So, will we ever meet any of these intelligent aliens? I think its going to take an effort on their part since we haven't managed to get very far yet...

posted on Feb, 23 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: Trueman

Elements aren't unique in the Universe as we are all made of the same stuff and from the same origin , distribution may vary but the stuff that's in our Galaxy is in every Galaxy.

It depends on how you define "our universe."

There are some mainstream ideas in science that it's possible that the inflation phase that happened very soon after the big bang could still be happening somewhere, or elsewhere ended at a time that was different from when our inflation period ended.

If inflation is still happening elsewhere, and/or pockets of existence had their inflation last "x* times longer or shorter than it did for us, then those areas would likely have different physical laws than us -- i.e., the laws of physics would be different there. Basic forces would ne different, matter would be different, and elements would be different.

Of course, this goes back to the definition of "our universe." One can argue that any place with different laws of physics would not be "our universe", but a different universe, and one that we cannot possibly visit -- even though those different universes would have been created by the same Big Bang as ours.
edit on 2/23/2020 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join