It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Nazi upbringing

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
not really. But to give the back story, I'll explain. When I was 4, my family moved to a small suburb of Cleveland. My parents bought an Old English Tutor home built in 1927. There are two other homes in the immediate area built by the same builder. The story is, he lost his money in the Great Depression and killed himself somewhere on our property. That story made for wonderful memories of myself and friends scaring the mess out of my older sister, who is a bit gullible to say the least.

Recently I went home to visit for Dad's 80th Birthday. He has dementia and we try to see them as often as possible now. My dad being my dad, keeps his sense of humor, he says he likes the TV because everything is new to him. Even re-runs. He said he could both hide the eggs this Easter and try to find them. He's a great father.

Now, on to the Nazi stuff.

This is a sideways picture of the entrance to the home. There are two beautiful doors and the original tile work. My mother brought the specific tile to my attention this visit. I had never noticed it before. See if you can pick it out:

Remember the house was built in 1927, which is a few years before the Third Reich became a thing.

The swastika or sauwastika (as a character, 卐 or 卍, respectively) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, especially Hinduism.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's interesting, and I think shows that the symbol in question had a very different meaning before it was perverted by Evil.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: network dude

This really explains so much now.

Literally.

Fun story and interesting history!

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Thanks.

There is thick crown molding in the dining and living room, which has about 50 layers of paint on it. I always wanted to clean it off and see of it was mahogany underneath. But once I realized how much work it would be, I just smiled and made myself believe it wasn't.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The Nazi sign used to be a good sign as you said before the Nazi's made it bad. Seems like people in this country these days are trying to make regular hand signs people used in the past to appear racist. That is just as bad as what the Nazi's did to the swastika sign.

The media promoting signs and jestures as bad now is not right, a six year old kid making a gun like hand at the teacher should not be picked up by the cops. I suppose that they will soon make signs that fraternities use racist. You should not change the rules in the middle of the game.

Seems like a nice house. I hope that your fathers Dementia does not get real bad and he winds up in a nursing home. Some people seem to have so much fun when they get dementia, but the sourpusses won't let them be kids again, I guess our second childhood will not be so fun anymore compared to what they did back in the seventies.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Swaztikas can be found in tilework at Alvernia University in Reading, PA.

I was at Alvernia University checking out some of the renovations at Francis Hall when Eagle photographer Susan Angstandt and I noticed something odd on the floor's tiling. There were various religious symbols etched on the tiles. They were faded; I could tell they were pretty old, probably from the original flooring of the building. One of them was a swastika. I gasped and asked Susan to confirm she was seeing the same thing. She had. Noticing our confusion, a university tour guide explained to us that the symbol was a religious symbol long before its association with the Nazis. A plaque on the wall further explained the origins of the symbol, which were much different before World War II ruined the symbol's use forever. Still, it was very strange to see a swastika printed on the floor of a Catholic university. The tour guide laughed and explained that it's something they have to address every time they give a campus tour.

Reading Eagle

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Borrowed from Sanskrit स्वस्तिक (svástika, “a lucky or auspicious object”). Doublet of सथिया (sathiyā)

From सु- (sú, “good, well”) + अस्ति (ásti-), a verbal abstract to the root of the verb "to be", svasti thus meaning "well-being" — and the diminutive suffix क (-ka); hence "little thing associated with well-being", corresponding roughly to "lucky charm". The word first appears in the Classical Sanskrit (in the Ramayana and Mahabharata epics).

A vigorous campaign to reclaim the forgotten history of this symbol is long overdue. But that's a matter for another thread.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude
not really. But to give the back story, I'll explain. When I was 4, my family moved to a small suburb of Cleveland. My parents bought an Old English Tutor home built in 1927. There are two other homes in the immediate area built by the same builder. The story is, he lost his money in the Great Depression and killed himself somewhere on our property. That story made for wonderful memories of myself and friends scaring the mess out of my older sister, who is a bit gullible to say the least.

Recently I went home to visit for Dad's 80th Birthday. He has dementia and we try to see them as often as possible now. My dad being my dad, keeps his sense of humor, he says he likes the TV because everything is new to him. Even re-runs. He said he could both hide the eggs this Easter and try to find them. He's a great father.

This is a sideways picture of the entrance to the home. There are two beautiful doors and the original tile work. My mother brought the specific tile to my attention this visit. I had never noticed it before. See if you can pick it out:

Remember the house was built in 1927, which is a few years before the Third Reich became a thing.

The swastika or sauwastika (as a character, 卐 or 卍, respectively) is a geometrical figure and an ancient religious icon in the cultures of Eurasia. It is used as a symbol of divinity and spirituality in Indian religions, especially Hinduism.

en.wikipedia.org...

It's interesting, and I think shows that the symbol in question had a very different meaning before it was perverted by Evil.

That's an Indian Swastika. Its arms go the opposite way.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:50 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Thanks for the kind thoughts. It's a horrible disease, but being able to make light of it helps everyone.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

If you read the wiki page I linked, it shows they symbol both ways, as the Hindu based symbol.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut
It's commonplace now to say "the Indian version goes the other way". But I've got a copy of Jungle Book from the time when Kipling was still using it, and the swastika on the front cover is in the same direction as the Nazi version. I have a suspicion that "they go opposite directions" is a bit of retrospective rationalising; that Hitler, consciously imitating a good-luck symbol, had no reason to reverse it; and that the traditional version may have gone either way indifferently.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   
It appears the Nazi variant emphasizes diamond shape, with one corner directly on bottom and another directly at the top. Hindu version is settled squarely on its side. The direction of the arms is not so important.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:10 PM
link   
It's a Buddhist symbol ... for Christ's sake!!

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:53 PM
link   

My parents bought an Old English Tudor home built in 1927. There are two other homes in the immediate area built by the same builder.

Begs the question why the the use of a symbol from a religious Indian symbol

and again soon to be used as a standard by an evil German war machine? On a

copy of old English house's architecture?

I also think its quite a stretch to call the floor symbolic of the swastika as the

arm there is only going in one direction there is no other arm crossing in the

opposite direction?

That being said its a lovely floor and has stood the test of time.

edit on 21-2-2020 by eletheia because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

...It's interesting, and I think shows that the symbol in question had a very different meaning before it was perverted by Evil.

Absolutely spot-on!

Funny story, about 10-15 years ago a close Hippie/Earthy mate of mine bought a new jacket from a local shop called Mother Earth, lovely thick coat it was with nice colours and patterns.

No one noticed when he first started wearing it, then about a week after he bought it he noticed that it was covered in tiny swastikas, and needless to say he wasn't best pleased and was somewhat confused.

Thing was, they were reversed from the better known nazi swastika, and after a bit of research all came to light.

That was a good funny, lol

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
The NAZI swastika is commonly accepted as being turned at a 45 degree angle specifically. Other than that, a swastika can face any direction and also comes in quite a diversity of patterns.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Picture of the Johnston Park bridge in Bartlesville Oklahoma, built in the mid 1920's...

Notice they go both ways.

The Cherokee use the symbol as a lucky one, or one that symbolizes life.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

thanks for that information.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

also think its quite a stretch to call the floor symbolic of the swastika as the arm there is only going in one direction there is no other arm crossing in the opposite direction?

It's been used both ways/directions throughout history among multiple cultures, and was generally a positive symbol until perverted, like the Nazis were prone to do.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   

No one else?!

Really?!!?

Move the rug bro.. I would like to see the trap door to where you hide your beer...

Auggie always says you lost it...

But we all know better...

-on topic-

Never reveal the entrance to your kill room..

It's bad opsec..

Respectfully,
~meathead

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

a reply to: Lumenari

thanks for that information.

Your other sign on the floor (the 5 squares) is the symbol for "sun".

Not that there is a Cherokee influence in Ohio...

Oh wait.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join