It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common contamination points during an outbreak

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Was out and about after reading up on the current coronavirus information so was obviously feeling mildly paranoid about the whole situation when it dawned on me while getting gas that a lot of people had probably handled the pump, it wasn't cleaned and I had nothing on me to decon my hands. (luckily it was on base so at a minimum the majority of people are healthy and regularly see a doctor)

So I have a couple questions for the group, say Corona virus gets legs where you are at.

1: how will you handle getting gas to minimize exposure?

2: what about your mail, will you collect if so how will you protect yourself and house from possible exposure?

the above are the first two to pop into my head

3: What other common exposure points should we as a group be considering, and suggested protective measures we can take.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

I have recently added a box of gloves and a few small bottles of hand sanitizer in my car. I only get petrol once a week, so those items should tide me over until I can get home to wash my hands, presuming I take them off correctly! Or don't touch my face.

I have also stopped using cash. I use my card wirelessly whenever I can. But...the cashiers putting my goods through the till checkout are still handling my goods, so I'm not sure I'm achieveing anything there.
edit on 21/2/2020 by MissBeck because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:56 PM
link   
I usually stock a couple of five gallon cans of gas in my garage, and we usually keep all our vehicles above half a tank all the time. Just wash your hands after taking in the mail and reading it. Just think of the people at the utility companies that have to open everyone's payments, maybe they might consider wearing gloves and a mask while doing that. Being concerned that someone in the mail stream might be infected is actually a legitimate concern. But if you do not pay your bills, that is a problem too.

No it is not a legitimate excuse for not paying your monthly credit card bill.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

money. right now china is incinerating caah and printing new replacement bills

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:00 PM
link   
a reply to: MissBeck

as much of a pain it can be with large orders, i've been using the self checkouts more and more.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Shopping carts, anything at a grocery store that someone has touched and then put back, door knobs, light switches.....

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
a reply to: smkymcnugget420

Yes, that might be a better alternative. I normally only do one monthly large food shop though, between two stores, and neither offer the self checkouts.

I had a thought today as well about my 11 year old daughter. She's on half term at school, and I pay her to go to a sports childcare facility. I asked her if she lets other people use her phone to play games on. She said yes. I've told her to not share her phone anymore.

I also wiped down our office printer and paper shredder today with bacterial wipes, as we all use that.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Stocking up on petrol is one thing I hadn't thought of. Kill two birds with one stone. Less visits to the petrol station meaning less mingling with other peeps, and also good if there is a shortage.

Thanks for the tip.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: smkymcnugget420
a reply to: MissBeck

as much of a pain it can be with large orders, i've been using the self checkouts more and more.

But, the warehouses, packers, and distribution people have also touched items. Then there's the grocery store stockers and handlers, not to mention the cart handles and handlers. I guess disposable latex gloves in bulk and hand sanitizers could become the norm, and public service commercials about avoiding contamination would help.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MissBeck

Stocking up on petrol is one thing I hadn't thought of. Kill two birds with one stone. Less visits to the petrol station meaning less mingling with other peeps, and also good if there is a shortage.

Thanks for the tip.

Keep the gas cans in an out building or garage. Somewhere where fumes can exit the structure. Not in the basement or in the main shed.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Will do. I have two outhouses at the back of my house, one is home to my petrol mowers and other gardening tools.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:39 PM
link   

FYI gasoline starts going bad in about 30 days... it will start to gel and will clog up your carburetors

www.bobvila.com...

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:49 PM
link   

FYI gasoline starts going bad in about 30 days... it will start to gel and will clog up your carburetors

www.bobvila.com...

I buy ethynol free gas, the regular gas does not last long. It seperates and leaves water in the can. I asked the owner of a oil company about it and he told me it is oxygenated, they spin water molecules in with the ethanol when he pulls up to fill his tankers. He sold ethanol free at his gas station. He told me it is alright if you are going to use it, but make sure to use ethanol free if you park your car for the winter.

It costs a quarter a gallon extra for ethanol free regular and fifty cents more for the premium ethanol free where we get our gas. There are extra btu's in EF gas, so it increases our gas milage about three miles per gallon so it is about the same cost either way per mile. We get all ethanol free, but not all the cars get the premium, just the older plow truck and the tractor and all the power tools. I did not notice any difference in increased gas milage between the EF regular and the EF premium in our cars, except the truck which is in low range runs better on it.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

www.bobvila.com...

I buy ethynol free gas, the regular gas does not last long. It seperates and leaves water in the can. I asked the owner of a oil company about it and he told me it is oxygenated, they spin water molecules in with the ethanol when he pulls up to fill his tankers. He sold ethanol free at his gas station. He told me it is alright if you are going to use it, but make sure to use ethanol free if you park your car for the winter.

It costs a quarter a gallon extra for ethanol free regular and fifty cents more for the premium ethanol free where we get our gas. There are extra btu's in EF gas, so it increases our gas milage about three miles per gallon so it is about the same cost either way per mile. We get all ethanol free, but not all the cars get the premium, just the older plow truck and the tractor and all the power tools. I did not notice any difference in increased gas milage between the EF regular and the EF premium in our cars, except the truck which is in low range runs better on it.

I rotate my gas, it is always less than about a year, between the big tractor and the plow truck they rotate it every year. At the beginning of winter, I usually have four five gallon cans of gas plus a full tractor and plowtruck.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
thanks for the replies folks I know for me I sometimes miss the easy in front of your face bits while I look for the string on the big pieces.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Why no one is talking about smartphones? We are using them virtually everywhere doing anything. You can get home, clean your hands 10 times then simply contract the infection via your smartphone.
edit on 21-2-2020 by KiwiNite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: KiwiNite

very good point, we set them down on tables, desks, out and away from home where who knows whats on that surface.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I just heard that there was a confirmed case of novel Corona two weeks ago, 3 blocks from my home, and they didnt tell anyone. They are currently under self quarantine.

Oh joy!

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
One can use gloves or tissues to touch public surfaces and remember that the gas pumps and the payment touch screens at every store are the worst for transmission.

Keep some Lysol or bleach spray and wipe them down before and after use and you could save many lives, even though you'll be considered quite odd (until the bodies start piling up) ... so it's socially kind to be mildly germaphobic even when there isn't a pandemic happening.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Children dragging illnesses home from school is what kills grandma and grandpa.

And of course sex with your SO will also be the death of you. So no more hanky-panky.

<<   2 >>

join