It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Old School Punk

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 10:09 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2020 @ 10:53 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2020 @ 01:52 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Late (1980) 1st wave punk

Killing Joke
'I am the virus'

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 10:30 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 11:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Exploited are fricken hilarious. Sex and Violence in particular.

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 04:51 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:33 PM
link   

edit on 2-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 07:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColoradoJens
a reply to: theatreboy

edit on 2-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: underpass61

Do you know these guys? SF punk art noise collective

posted on Apr, 2 2020 @ 11:22 PM
link   

Only relevant it you watch a couple minutes in to see bodies flying everywhere...industrial punk rock that came out of it all - if you don't like the song turn it down and fast forward to sweet concert carnage bliss - reminds me of how fun life was before 9/11

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: ColoradoJens

Yes! Thank you CJ for jumping in here. I've been meaning to write something about how the beginnings of punk were much more about the "scene" than the "sound". You could go to shows and never know what you were going to see/hear. It might be straight ahead working class punk or art school kids or sometimes both!
I dug Tuxedomoon an the other art school bands from SF

Bands I would go see -

Some from the UK

I may be biased but I think it was by far the best time for new and innovative music!
edit on 4 3 2020 by underpass61 because: sp

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Yes! Thank you CJ for jumping in here. I've been meaning to write something about how the beginnings of punk were much more about the "scene" than the "sound". You could go to shows and never know what you were going to see/hear. It might be straight ahead working class punk or art school kids or sometimes both!
I dug Tuxedomoon an the other art school bands from SF

Bands I would go see -

Some from the UK

I may be biased but I think it was by far the best time for new and innovative music!

Oh heck yes, I love all of that! I remember getting a Ronaldo and the Loaf album (songs for the swinging larvae) in 7th grade because I liked the art work on the cover - wow when I got home and heard it my buddy and I were cracking up. That started a love affair with Ralph Records. I seem to remember a Residents album where every song was 1 minute long or something like that. SNAKEFINGER is excellent too (and hilarious)...

Have a good one today, stay sane in all of this crap! Edit to add, I love the kinda out of place one, Romero Void. I had that album. Right around the Plimsoles Million Miles Away and the Valley Girl Soundtrack. Awesome.
edit on 3-4-2020 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:51 AM
link   

That's what I mean, you had it all - hardcore, art school, kitschy fun bands like the B-52's, even the power poppers. One memorable show I saw was the Ramones at Royce Hall UCLA and their opening act was 20/20.

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Sadly my only time seeing the Ramones was in Boulder CO maybe around 2003 2004? Frank Black opened for them. Still a blast! Yeah, music was way more interesting and fun back then. Everyone now kind off fits a mold. All these old bands had one thing in common - they made the music they made for themselves...and they were original!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Saw the Ramones 9 times. Once got to hang out on their tour bus with Marky Ramone while a friend interviewed Joey and Johnny! Saw Devo several times too and hung out with them at a skatepark grand opening courtesy of that same friend.
Yeah things started to get categorized and separated into genres - first "new wave" and from there all the rest. It was more fun when they were all under one big umbrella. Sure made some great memories!

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Here's a great California comp from 1979 -

posted on Apr, 3 2020 @ 11:31 PM
link   

I would give just about anything to have been able to hang with Devo. May be my favorite overall band. The fact you got to hang with several of the most amazing bands ever is incredible. Thank you your friend!

I've seen that Tooth and Nail comp it just reminds me of record stores and teen age drinking, setting beers on the records (no jackets) and still playing them the next night. Might need a nickel taped to the record player needle but it still works.

Since this is a good nostalgic trip to take my mind of baloney, I rented the VHS Urgh! A Music War in about 5th grade and came away with some good memories overall. It became a funny catch phrase amongst my buddies to say all of sudden, "Klaus Nomi? I see any movie that guy is in." No reason but 10 year olds find a lot of things funny.

And then because i miss the old days right now:

posted on Apr, 4 2020 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Klaus Nomi was amazing! Punk brought out all the genuine weirdos and crazies. Today's music "weirdos" seem shallow and manufactured in comparison.

I was 18 in '79 with a car and a good paying job and I was lucky to live where a 30 minute drive could take you to the Sunset Strip or any other L.A. area hotspot. Club shows were cheap so me and my friends would head downtown most every weekend if our own crappy little band wasn't playing somewhere. I've got a cookie jar stuffed with show ticket stubs - my kids were amazed when they discovered it. Had some incredible and some pretty scary adventures but managed to survive!

I saw these guys open for The Clash at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium the first time they came over from the UK.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join