It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World cup races in Slovenia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Love the Alpine races, love the Alps and Kranjska Gora. I was watching women's Alpine world cup over the weekend and it occurred to me the only visible snow was on the course, and that was blown snow, not even real. Bare land as far as the eye could see in the Alps. Why is this? I don't know anything about all this climate talk. There must be a reasonable explanation. Any ideas?

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   
went to Slovenia for a week on vacation, highly recommend it good food, good people good local beer.

On top of that for its location it wasn't that expensive either.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: BoxerBrawler
Love the Alpine races, love the Alps and Kranjska Gora. I was watching women's Alpine world cup over the weekend and it occurred to me the only visible snow was on the course, and that was blown snow, not even real. Bare land as far as the eye could see in the Alps. Why is this? I don't know anything about all this climate talk. There must be a reasonable explanation. Any ideas?

It’s at a fairly low altitude (between approximately 2600 and 5000 feet). That means it’s quite a bit below the natural snow level, particularly this time of year. If I had to guess, I would guess that either the snow was made a month or so ago and kept under cover or it was trucked in for the occasion.

posted on Feb, 19 2020 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Makes sense. I just remember getting a few big dumps over there this time of year.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 01:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoxerBrawler
Makes sense. I just remember getting a few big dumps over there this time of year.

Yes, it varies quite a bit from year to year. I happen to be in the Dolomites right now on a ski vacation (not really that far from Slovenia) and we are already experiencing spring-like conditions. I don’t think there will be any more significant snow falls this season.

Sochi had a similar situation back in 2014 when they hosted the Winter Olympics. They are also at a fairly low altitude and cannot guarantee how much snow they are going to get in any particular year, so they banked snow for a year or two before the Olympics and were prepared to truck it in to make sure the ski runs would be covered at the crucial times.

top topics

join