It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Contribute Your Words of Wisdom

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:41 PM
link   
You know waking up this morning and glancing at YouTube and some of the news, and seeing the really divided way society is behaving got me thinking. Words of wisdom. You see some of the goofy things people are doing, the division among people, men and women, political ideology, etc. I just want to put all of that aside and think what we can do as a society to contribute to it to make it better.

I am sure we have all been given certain morals by our parents. But then I think not everyone has parents, and some parents aren't a good example. The best parents mess up. So we get our morals from different places, it could be a lost kid joining a gang. Or perhaps just from watching TV, or from classmates. All whom may not necessarily be the best association to learn from. What do we do to help others?

Firstly I want to say I know I am no moral bastion. I've messed up a lot on my road in life, and will so again. But there are certain moral values my dad instilled in me I've got to this day. Hopefully you do too. Morals that help you contribute to making society a good and better place. Not ones that tear it down and divide it.

So what are some of the pearls of wisdom you can bring to the table for young ones that may read this. Or perhaps you are a young one and can give us advice, perhaps a reminder worth hearing.

A few I try to live by...

Be a hard worker. No matter what you do put your back into it. Be honest. Give your best. Be honorable. Don't steal. Respect your elders. If you see someone in need and can help, do it. If its helping an elderly man or woman to cross the street, to buy groceries, or a neighbor shovel the snow off their walk, or mow their lawn, especially if it is an older widow, or someone that is handicapped.

Show restraint when provoked. Do not return bad for bad. But be good to everyone, even those who are bad to you. Be moderate in habits, don't abuse substances that can harm your body or others, be a moderate drinker. Too many horrible things have come from over-drinking, especially the habitual drunkards. Too many to count.

Acknowledge the other person's right to have a viewpoint. Understand that differences are just that. And just because we think differently doesn't mean one idea is better than the other. And never try and force another to believe the way you do. Show by example that you are humble. Accept correction when given it. Don't be to haughty to listen to good advice from others. Even a child can say something of value. And the youth should never look down on the experience of their elders. They may have more education, but their elders have more life experience. The oldest in society should be cherished for their wisdom, and taken care of by their family members.

Say please, and thank you. Be courteous, let the other person go ahead of you. Open the door for a woman. Always hold the door open for the next person behind you.

And lastly, this my granddad when alive would always tell me. Smile. When you pass a stranger on the street, or on the beach, wherever, don't glare, don't stare, don't mumble, don't grumble. Be polite, be kind. And give that stranger a smile. Smiles are contagious. And are better for you than bickering and being grumpy.

So here's a smile to you. And to whoever is reading this. Hope you have a good day, and if you have found something of value here, even if a reminder, think of putting it into practice, and make society a little better place to live in.

What are your words of wisdom?
edit on 16-2-2020 by SimpleIdea because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Pick your battles wisely, you're not going to win them all.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
My beloved grandmother had some good sayings. One of my favorites was:
If you can't say anything nice about someone, you're welcome at my house anytime.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:52 PM
link   
“Some people suck”

Pretty much sums it all up

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: SimpleIdea

"You can't eat soup with a fork."
-DB

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Nut up or shut up....

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Happy wife: happy life !
=
Mama happy: everybody happy !

Try to see the divine in everybody: and their 'faults' will melt-away.

You are a Human Being: not a Human Doing !

The Ruttskin-Puttskin, is Muttskin in the Buttskin ! ( An old Flintstones episode, LoL ! )

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

-DB

Evidently you have not eaten my soup.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

"This planet has - or rather had - a problem: most of its inhabitants were almost always unhappy. Many suggestions have been made to solve this problem, but most of them were about the back and forth of small printed paper notes, and it's just funny, because it wasn't the small printed paper notes that felt unhappy."

Douglas Adams

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Listen, listen and listen again before talking and make a fool out of yourself. Still working on this one though

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Another saying of grandma's:

Too soon ya get old,
Too late ya get smart.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:27 PM
link   
"Never complain about something without also offering a solution. Otherwise, it's just whining. And I don't respond to whining." - My Dad

"Cleanliness is next to Loch Ness" - Krakatoa

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

It tales a prat to know one.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse

originally posted by: DBCowboy

-DB

Evidently you have not eaten my soup.

If you can eat it with a fork, wouldn't that make it a stew?

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Making more noise just makes more noise. Smart noise sounds the same as dumb noise when the world is already way too noisy. A few people might hear the wisest words anyone could possibly contribute. But they will not travel far enough to matter and will get homogenized into the noise. And probably twisted into yet another pedantic us versus them argument.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Brevity Is the Soul of Wit and So Can You.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Never trust a fart.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Truth always. You will never have to defend yourself.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 04:07 PM
link   

As a manager, I've told this line to several people I've trained. They've laughed at it but then, months later, after giving the spiel about how much of dick I am, they admitted they kept this one line true. Thanking me, even:
"Never f*ck future you. All people are inclined to do it. Put off something for the next day to do. DO. NOT. F*CK. FUTURE. YOU. No exceptions"
edit on 2020/16/2 by Purpapengus because: Can't spell worth a damn.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 04:27 PM
link   
When I Was in QA we had a saying Right is Right, Wrong is Wrong. There is no right way to do a wrong thing.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join