It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anywhere but Illinois

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

The problem is they bring the policies that forced them to leave with them. It makes no sense.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: americanbuffalo1

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: americanbuffalo1
The state of Illinois loses approximately 90 resident a day. Multiply that by 365 and you get 32,850 people leaving the state each year. I believe that to be a conservative number. Some estimate as many as 40,000 people leave the sorry state each year. In 2009 alone Illinois lost an estimated $1.5 billion of net taxable income.

What is driving out residents? Failed public policies, a tax structure which has crushed many hard working peoples opportunity to move ahead. Stiff regulatory restrictions on businesses with redundant policies existing only to drain money from entrepreneurs which could be better spent left in private hands. Lack of affordable housing, with property way over priced only to be taxed at exorbitant rates.

The links below give information on where Illinois residents are taking themselves as well as some of the variety of reasons which push them to pack up and leave. One of which is actually from United Van Lines based on the move rate which is quite high in relation to other dysfunctional states.

www.illinoispolicy.org...

www.chicagonow.com...

I was born and raised in California. My parents are from the Chicago area and left southern California to move back to where they had family and escape the fiscal madness which was in full effect in California in the early 70's. The fiscal madness which has fully engulfed the state of Illinois now and has been in the works for the better part of 40 years.

I remember thinking in the 80's how was the state going to be able to move forward when so many of our state legislators were writing laws which would create what we have now, a fiscal crisis. ie; specifically creating a constitutional amendment which made lucrative pensions for public employees de rigeur! without any opportunity to rework them or abolish them altogether - A fiscal crisis created by short sighted greedy politicians out for themselves at the expense of their constituency.

I want out of this hell hole of a state! However I'm stuck here due to my wife having terminal cancer and interrupting her treatment is not an option. so I am stuck here for now and envious of those with the freedom to leave. In fact we were in the process of buying a small farm in south western Wisconsin when her current diagnosis was revealed to us.

I would love to hear other member opinions on this mess. I know ATS has quite a few of us from this sick state, like Edumakated, Carewemust, Kawrider, to name a few. Do you think this mess can be corrected? Are we too far gone and living in a terminally blue state with all the blue state problems. Progressive problems which get progressively worse as time goes on.
Is there an honest politician in this state whether local or federal. Need I remind folks this is the state of senators Dick (do nothing) Durbin and Tammy Duckworth who are pandering idiots in my mind. I see absolutely nothing in the future for this state to right itself and unfortunately seems to be the opinion of 30+ thousand who have seen fit to leave this sinking ship!

I had to move an ocean away. Stay calm and will your wife well.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

The problem is they bring the policies that forced them to leave with them. It makes no sense.

Many people do, but not my family.

posted on Feb, 16 2020 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Yep, I live in Southern Hellinois and I'm just biding my time until I can go back home to Missouri where I was born and raised. Missouri has its own problems, but like your title says... "Anywhere but Illinois"

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:47 AM
link   
rham emmmanuel is a double agent.
he served in a foreign army, and he swore allegiance to foreign flag.
he is a dual citizen
he is very much a gl0balist.

so that is one of the problems.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I am so sorry for what you and your wife are dealing with!

I don't blame you for wanting to leave. I was born in Washington state, and you can't tell much difference from California now. It seems people want to get away from states that have been blue for years, but when the get to a conservative state they miss all the assistance programs they were used to, and then end up voting liberal.
I live in a red state now, but the major cities have been democratic for several years, and it's spreading to where I think the state will eventually turn blue. I'm seeing this happen in more and more states. The gun issue and illegal immigration seems to be the main issues keeping states conservative, but as the liberal population grows I expect that might change.
It doesn't help that the education system is geared from kindergarten on towards liberalism, and kids are being raised to believe they deserve the best of everything just because.
One day the country will have to switch from the hand-out policies to more of a hand-up policy, but I don't think it's going to be any time soon.
People talk about civil war, but it seems like we're already in a war at the political level, and the Democrats are winning by sheer numbers. I sure hope I can start to see a different trend this election season!

Wishing you and your wife peace.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Sadly, this seems true. Many Chicagoans have relocated here in Southwest Michigan. They cry about how terrible Illinois is and how they are so happy to be here, yet they continue to vote democrat.

They are so used to being over-taxed that they have no problem with a small increase tax here or there. They just don't realize that they are on the road to destroying their new haven.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Same here in South Carolina. They flee the high tax debacles of the north, and then as soon as they get here they vote for all the same policies that caused the problems where they fled from. It's as if they think these policies won't have the same result despite it having the same result everywhere else.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I remember 4 years ago, like four or five of the national insurance agencies moved out of Illinois and all moved to North Dallas. The city built them a suburb--literally a stack of skyscrapers at the sw corner of I-75 and the George Bush turnpike, with a rail connection to DFW airport. There is a park, a mall, and a ring of upscale hotels around the business complex.

Basically set up so you could fly into DFW airport, take the train to the insurance hub, walk to the hotel, catch a movie and eat a steak, do your insurance business the next day and fly home without ever renting a car or driving in Dallas traffic.

North Dallas was suddenly full of cars with "land of Lincoln" license plates, and homesales got a definite bump in the region.

That was the same time Governor Good-hair (Perry) was flying to California and New York and inviting companies to move to Texas. Toyota of America is in Plano now ( 5 miles from the insurance hub). Toyota said the only problem was there wasn't enough water for their factories and planned headquarters. So the city of Plano built them a water supply and put in a subdivision in the cow pasture next to the company HQ.

in 2015, a thousand people a day moved to Texas (legally). The worse the economy, the faster they came.
_____

I had a business acquaintance from up north, (Illinois?), who was laughing because his TX hunting license had "We appreciate your business!!!" printed across the back of it.

He had set up a hunting trip in Texas, without using a guide, all online. He said the parks & wildlife had online application, accepted his home state's hunters education certificate online, and connected him with the chamber of commerce in a town where there were whitetail hunting leases. The local CoC helped him book a hotel room in a B&B that welcomed hunters. He said he was done in 2 hours, including getting his gun approved for checked luggage on the plane to Austin....

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 12:04 PM
link   
We have just been discussing moving out of IL. Gas is 50-60 cents per gallon higher than Iowa. Vehicle registration is now $151 per vehicle. The last two things I've read about being proposed are the Rain Tax and the one where it will be illegal to pump your own gas!

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 12:14 PM
link   

a reply to: CynConcepts

Same here in South Carolina. They flee the high tax debacles of the north, and then as soon as they get here they vote for all the same policies that caused the problems where they fled from. It's as if they think these policies won't have the same result despite it having the same result everywhere else.

Crazy is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Something like this?

It's sad to read all the comments from all of you living there. I've always said greed will be this country's demise. It seems to me that every majorly failed city and state has a lot of Democrat politicians doing well. I heard Obama has a new crib, this may be a shocker but its not in Illinois.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: mtnshredder

It's Massachusetts, not much better. It's just a vacation home though.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 12:43 PM
link   
One of the biggest issues with IL, is that most of IL is not represented. If you look at the election results for IL in 2016, by county, one can see that almost the whole state voted red. Chicago runs the state.

www.politico.com...

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 01:05 PM
link   

It's Massachusetts, not much better. It's just a vacation home though.

? Obama family lives in DC now.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

There probably all mostly coming here to Tennessee. The past some odd years it was figured to be about 100 people a day were moving to Middle Tennessee, and I'm of the belief that is the leading reason that many people who were born and raised in Temnessee are leaving for lower states.

It's all about money. People leave their states for states where property prices are low, taxes are lower, and whatever else is lower. Then prices start going up, and then the people who can't afford it any more move on as well.

Nashville used to be a chill, lowkey kind of city. It's almost unrecognizable now. People brought their problems with them, our crime rates shot up, and traffic is horrendous now. Nashville started getting packed, so people have started moving into places like Smyrna and Murfreesboro.

Interestingly enough not many have been moving to Woodbury or McMinville I guess the reputation of those places has expanded outside the state.

Places like Manchester, Tullahoma, and even Rockvale and Eagleville have been seeing an increase in development and population.

Prices have already been increasing at a rapid place. I'm not too up to date over the economic facts over the past few decades, but you used to be able to find land and houses at rather affordable prices. I knew people who would buy homes and expect to be able to pay them off in ten years if not out right pay for it all at once.

Now those same areas are where you'll see land and house going for half a million to over a million. There is definitely another bubble burst coming, and I'm waiting until that happens to buy a house.

As far as politics go, I wouldn't be surprised to see some flips coming.

Tennessee is seeing a large amount of younger people coming from more liberal leaning areas, but there are also conservative leaning people moving from said liberal locations. So, it's a wait and see thing.

It wouldn't surprise me to see conservative politicians winning seats in former liberal strongholds in the next couple of decades. Just like it wouldn't surprise me to see Nashville become even more liberal.

It kind of reminds me of Milwaukee. It's a liberal haven, but in my time there I met a lot of silent conservatives who simply feel they cannot voice their opinions for fear of losing their jobs or social standings. Once all the younger liberal people graduate college and leave or get older and change their mindset the silent conservatives will remain and gain more of a stakehold in politics there.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 03:35 PM
link   

As far as I know this is his newest crib.

The Obamas Just Purchased a Martha's Vineyard Mansion for $11.75 Million

www.townandcountrymag.com...

Maybe I am wrong and he bought another one after that.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: TamtammyMacx
One of the biggest issues with IL, is that most of IL is not represented. If you look at the election results for IL in 2016, by county, one can see that almost the whole state voted red. Chicago runs the state.

www.politico.com...

This is why we need changes. We need to distribute power to the counties so that one megacity can not control an entire state's future.

Why bother to appeal to anyone outside LA, NYC, Chicago ... the rest of those states are meaningless. Moving to a popular vote will make it even worse.

posted on Feb, 17 2020 @ 03:41 PM
link   

As far as I know this is his newest crib.

The Obamas Just Purchased a Martha's Vineyard Mansion for $11.75 Million

www.townandcountrymag.com...

Maybe I am wrong and he bought another one after that.

The Obama's have a big mansion in DC and a place in Hawaii along with the Martha's Vineyard crib.

Martha's Vineyard is a vacation / second home. Hardly anyone lives on the island in the winter.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join