It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Preposterous! It Cannot Be Done! It’s Impossible!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 11:06 AM
link   
“Everything that can be invented has been invented.”

Attributed to Charles H. Duell, comissioner of patent office, 1899.

Sorry, had to chuck that one in there!

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Klassified

That's good stuff!

I find it truly fascinating what some people believe is and isn't possible.

It does bother me when I see something being pushed as the future when it is at its physical limit already... Like solar panels and chemical batteries.

Discovery in physics and chemistry are where the future must be found.

Almost anything is possible given enough time, resources, attention, money and drive.

This is why I believe our top secret tech is way beyond what we currently are “aware of” in the general populous. And that we’re working on stuff that many here would say “that’s ridiculous - we can’t ”

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: Blue Shift

You assume
Or
You assume I am going to accept your opinion based on my knowledge of your opinion?

Even if we have hard data, we still have to assume it was properly gathered and that there aren't a variety of unknown factors that only create an apparent causality.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 05:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift

originally posted by: Raggedyman
a reply to: Blue Shift

You assume
Or
You assume I am going to accept your opinion based on my knowledge of your opinion?

Even if we have hard data, we still have to assume it was properly gathered and that there aren't a variety of unknown factors that only create an apparent causality.

Yes that’s valid
Or
The reality we see is not actually the reality we see
Some people believe we are a computer program, they could be right
Someone else’s thought projection

Who can say for sure?

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 07:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blastoff

Why, so you could embarrass yourself by repeating a fake quote?

He never said that, here's a quote of his which is very far from that:

The Friend

In my opinion, all previous advances in the various lines of invention will appear totally insignificant when compared with those which the present century will witness. I almost wish that I might live my life over again to see the wonders which are at the threshold.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur

originally posted by: Blastoff

Why, so you could embarrass yourself by repeating a fake quote?

He never said that, here's a quote of his which is very far from that:

The Friend

In my opinion, all previous advances in the various lines of invention will appear totally insignificant when compared with those which the present century will witness. I almost wish that I might live my life over again to see the wonders which are at the threshold.

Perhaps you should perfect your reading comprehension skills.
The post says the quote is ATTRIBUTED to him; doesn’t necessarily mean he actually said that.
So truth or not, whether you like it or not, and by whatever fate, his name somehow became attached to the quote.
I am not embarrassed in any way by the post.

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Blastoff
Your post implies he said that.
You could have said the quote was falsely attributed to him, but to just say it's attributed to him without such context implies he's the source, which is at best misleading.

edit on 202034 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Mar, 4 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
“Dimensions of Human Ignorance” (Awake!—1980)

According to the noted biologist and research scientist Lewis Thomas, M.D., man should have a greater sense of wonderment about creation around him. The U.S. national museum’s “Smithsonian” magazine observes that Thomas’ writings stress “how little we humans yet know about the world. The dimensions of human knowledge, he reminds us, are dwarfed by the dimensions of human ignorance.”

In an interview with the “Smithsonian,” Thomas noted that now “there is much more puzzlement about the laws of nature than there was a century ago.” Illustrating this, he related: “Lord Kelvin, a leading figure in physics at the turn of the century, said that physics was now finished and that if he were a young man he wouldn’t go into physics because there was nothing more to be done except tidy up a few things. Then along came quantum theory and relativity and quantum mechanics and all the rest.

“I suspect that there will be no end to this process, being the insatiably curious species that we are, exploring, looking around and trying to understand things. We’re not ever going to get it solved. I can’t imagine any terminal point where everyone will breathe a sigh and will say, ‘Now we understand the whole thing.’ It’s going to remain beyond us. . . . We’re studying nature at a much closer hand than we could ever study before. And instead of getting clearer and easier to understand, it’s harder to understand.”

“Smithsonian” interviewer Timothy Ferris then recalled what Thomas had written about how humans should react to the marvels they see. “Talking about embryology, about the brain coming into existence from what was at one point a single embryonic cell, you write, ‘People ought to be walking around all day, all through their waking hours, calling to each other in endless wonderment, talking of nothing except that cell!’” And should not that wonderment and talking extend also to the One who designed that marvelous cell?​—April 1980, pages 127-142.

Molecular Machinery in Living Cells
edit on 4-3-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join