It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey is massing Troops for a final push into Idlib... USA says we support Turkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Full title of the article is: Tent Cities, Troop Surge & Tanks Pouring In: Reasons Why The 'Final War' For Idlib Has Begun... The number 5 in the article made me shake my head in disgust as once again the USA sides with a viper IMO. Syria is a sovereign country and has not been a big sponsor of terrorism like Saudi Arabia and Iran. But no matter for whatever reason people are dying and land theft is underway as America shifts back to a "Turkey-first policy".

Russia is not going to stand bye and watch the regime of Assad fall IMO and if I were them I would be making plans to decimate the Turkish forces when they cross into IIdlib.... where this all leads in the next few weeks or months is anyone's guess but I for one do not like several of the possible scenarios..

5) The United States said it will "stand with its NATO ally Turkey" after the Syrian and Turkish armies engage in direct clashes, and after Erdogan threatened to begin downing Syrian aircraft.

This brings the world back to a major international proxy war centered on Idlib, as almost happened before (especially in 2018).

4) The United Nations is warning Idlib civilian displacement is now the worst over the nine-year total period of war in Syria.

3) Erdogan is erecting new "refugee cities" along Turkish-occupied Syrian border territory, in line with his 'solution' for the refugee crisis at a moment he's also threatened Europe with "opening the gates" if he doesn't receive EU funding to alleviate the burden:

2) Turkish tanks, armored columns, and elite commandos are pouring in as state powers are on a collision course:

1) Turkey announced Thursday more soldiers are being deployed to Idlib after already previously amassing troops at the border.

www.zerohedge.com...
test.abovetopsecret.com... a recent thread by "worldstarcountry" showing some of the escalations going on in the area to include the downing of a Russian helicopter.

edit on 727thk20 by 727Sky because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Few pointers on Idlib:

Parts of Idlib and Aleppo provinces are now the front lines of the battle between Syrian armed opposition groups, some of whom are supported by Turkey, and Russia and Iran-backed forces loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, who is pushing to regain control of the whole country.

The government has sought to take control over the strategic M5 highway, which runs through Aleppo and Idlib provinces and which was once a major commercial route linking Aleppo to Damascus and the south of the country.

Idlib is also adjacent to Latakia province, a Syrian government stronghold that is home to the Russian military airbase Hmeimim.

AlJazeera

And from further East, in the oil rich region of Al-Hasakah:

Correction on the above video, the Syrian killed was actually 22 I think, not that it makes much difference, I'm sure US forces probably don't care much for the details of Syrian casualties either way.

edit on -216002020-02-14T05:18:26-06:000000002629202026022020Fri, 14 Feb 2020 05:18:26 -0600 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

I think supporting them is a dumb idea and also can hurt Trump in the election season.
Yes I support our allies but in this case Turkey has proven to not necessarily back those that offer help. They just go rambo and do as they please. Which is fine and all but don't drag my tax dollars into it.

edit on 2/19/2013 by Allaroundyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 08:32 AM
link   
LOl So We are going to back Our NATO Allies when They aren't even paying Their "Fair Share"? The same NATO We threaten to pull out of?

Oh ok carry on.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The US always supports the bad guys. I hope Russia gets it right and obliterates Turkey.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
All, countries need to get out of Syria right away an let the actual Syrian government deal with the terrorism in the state which they are more than capable of doing as long as outside terror supporters like Turkey and western governments pull out. If Iran pulls out too then Israel will stop attacking too. Bibi put last nights air raid on Damascus down to the Belgian airforce

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Some context: The Rebel groups who used to control Idlib have largely collapsed. The Syrian government has been steadily advancing there recently. To put it simply, reports on the ground suggest that most of the foreign jihadists who make up the bulk of the Rebel's manpower have either been killed or returned home.

Turkey has been relying on these guys as proxy troops, but now that it's clear they're losing, Turkey's choices are either:

A) Give up, or
B) Send in their own troops.

Turkey has chosen B), but since both Iran and Russia are on the side of the Syrian government I doubt it will make much difference in the end.

Trump is not a war hawk, and the last guy who tried to force him into a war (Bolton) got bounced down the White House steps, moustache & all. Also, the US is supporting the Kurds, who are pretty much the mortal enemies of the Turks. (In fact, the reason Turkey got involved was to prevent the Kurds from forming their own state.)

So, to sum it up, the odds of the US offering anything more than token support to Turkey are slim at best.
edit on 14-2-2020 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 01:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I agree, but maybe with the added clause that the soverign country Syria may invite whomever it likes into the country.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ClovenSky
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I agree, but maybe with the added clause that the soverign country Syria may invite whomever it likes into the country.

Oh yeah totally agree
Assad has every right to defend his nation from rodent outside interests formenting terror within his nation and if that means asking for help form Putin then so be it. I mean he is defending his country from hell on Earth regarding Isis and Turk backed terror. It's a friggin nightmare for the average Syrian on the street who's secular nation has become something of a football field for the big powers to play their games

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   
www.zerohedge.com...
Turkey Threatens "Imminent" Large Scale Invasion Of Idlib To Halt Syrian-Russian Advance

The Syrians along with Russian air power have been very successful with taking back control of several major cities thus Turkey is pissed and threatening.

New threats related to Idlib this week could see the Russian and Turkish armies on a direct collision course.

Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday threatened a full-scale military invasion of the war torn province after the Syrian Army and its Russian ally refused to halt their ongoing offensive.

"An operation in Idlib is imminent," Erdogan told Turkish parliament of preparations for NATO's second largest army. "We are counting down, we are making our final warnings".

www.activistpost.com...
Photos From Final Liberation of Aleppo Demonstrates How MSM Narrative Was False All Along

Western mainstream media outlets simply cannot show the results of the recent liberation of Western Aleppo in Syria without first doing much editing and damage control work on the television screen. While Western outlets continue the tired line that Syrian President Bashar al-Assad is “killing his own people” and that the poor democracy-loving “freedom fighters” armed, trained, and directed by the Western powers are nothing more than victims, scenes from Syria easily challenge any perceptions western audiences may have had regarding recent events there. In fact, any claims that the Syrian people are opposed to the government’s liberation of Syrian territory is completely rebuffed with the pictures currently coming out of Aleppo.

Why aren’t you showing us these beautiful scenes of Syrians jubilantly celebrating the full liberation of #Aleppo from the clutches of Al-Qaeda, marking an end to 8 years of relentless terrorist shelling of their homes, schools and hospitals?#Syria pic.twitter.com/moct2ulump

— Sarah Abdallah (@sahouraxo) February 17, 2020

Syrian soldier meets his mother for first time since six years after the Syrian army liberated his village in Aleppo countryside pic.twitter.com/JcZ215A3sE

— Yusha Yuseef (@MIG29_) February 18, 2020

youtu.be...

I have been looking for an article with pictures I read a couple of days ago showing destroyed Turkish tanks and many Turkish APCs as Russian air power turned back the Turkish offensive. I never thought I would be a cheer leader for Russia but in this case I am glad they are helping Assad.

As far as I am concerned I hope Syria reclaims all their territory and kicks Turkey and their proxies out for good.

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 04:21 AM
link   
The U.S are backing turkey now, ok then, don't be a tough guy don't be a fool, we'll come help you were such tools. Sigh...

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
As far as I am concerned I hope Syria reclaims all their territory and kicks Turkey and their proxies out for good.

Assad will have to expel around 1 million ethnic Turkmen who do Turkeys / Isis work from Syria if he's ever going to achieve true peace in the north and after all the Turkish atrocities over the past 100 years against Christians, Kurds, Armenians, Arabs in the area I don't think anyone's going to care less if he does it over there. Maybe the way ethnic groups re Poles, Germans were redrawn post WW2 into their own areas should be a necessity here today if true peace is going to be found
edit on 20-2-2020 by ufoorbhunter because: Forgot Armenians and probably basket fulls of others too

posted on Feb, 20 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   

edit on 20-2-2020 by midicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Syria takes out 22 Turkish Army troops in airstrike www.bbc.co.uk...://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cx1m7zg0w5zt/syria&link_location=live-reporti ng-story

posted on Feb, 27 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Syria just re-took a big swath of southern Idlib today. Turkey & the rebels seem to only be able to make small advances in highly-focused areas. They're still losing.

Edit: I suspect that the small advance Turkish troops made was more about providing an avenue for Turkish troops to evacuate several "observation posts" that were surrounded by Syrian forces. I expect they'll retreat again once their guys are out of harm's way.

Like I said, the US is not going to offer more than token support. Trump has been trying to disengage us from Syria, and even Afghanistan.
edit on 27-2-2020 by AndyFromMichigan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join