It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia votes to bans "assault" rifles.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This just passed the house of delagates in the last hour, so specifics are skimpy.

The Virginia House of Delegates passed a version of an assault weapons ban on Tuesday.

House Bill 961 prohibits any person from importing, selling, transferring, manufacturing, purchasing, possessing, or transporting an assault firearm. It also includes restricting certain magazine sizes.

local news

No word on grandfathering... Looks like it's defined as a semi auto centerfirer rifle with a magazine capacity of more than twelve rounds.

Personally I think the democrats just lost any chance of holding the house come next election... I wouldn't be surprised if Republicans use this to win and make it their first measure to reverse.

I'm also interested in seeing how LEO enforce this seeing as there was sweeping 2nd amendment sanctuary measures passed state wide.

Time will tell, but I'm pissed off.
edit on 11-2-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Your link is 404'd

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

If there's truth to this gun ban, particularly the rifles in question
sales are primed to go hot.
edit on 11-2-2020 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:21 PM
link   

I asked about this a bit ago. I sure hope a lawsuit if brought to challenge this in court. I think it needs to go there, before it's just repealed by a regime change. If it can be stopped in court, then that precedent can be used to stop this idiocy in the future with other states.

Shall not be infringed

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
No word on grandfathering...

Another source:

Current owners of assault weapons would be grandfathered in and therefore able to keep their firearms.

The bill also doesn’t ban the possession of suppressors or silencers, but it does ban the sale of them after the bill takes effect.

Also:

"A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 12 rounds."

So if I'm reading this correctly it sounds like you can have a semi-automatic ghost gun if it has a clipazine of 12 or less freedom *pew* *pews*.

edit on 11-2-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

+2 more 
posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If only there was a Federal law to override all this nonsense...

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
Your link is 404'd

Woops... Pulled it from a google so it was ten times longer of a link than it should have been. Should be good now.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Ironically they're about to flood the market then. I doubt the law goes into effect immediately, there's got to be a way for store owners to cull their stock. Like hopenotfear pointed out.
edit on 11-2-2020 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Link to a summary.

The bill further states that any person who legally owns an assault firearm on July 1, 2020, may retain possession of such assault firearm after January 1, 2021, if such person has obtained a permit from the Department of State Police to possess an assault firearm in accordance with procedures established in the bill. A person issued such permit may possess an assault firearm only under the following conditions: (a) while in his home or on his property or while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, provided that the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property; (b) while at a shooting range, shooting gallery, or other area designated for the purpose of target shooting or the target range of a public or private club or organization whose members have organized for the purpose of practicing shooting targets or competing in target shooting matches; (c) while engaged in lawful hunting; or (d) while surrendering the assault firearm to a state or local law-enforcement agency. A person issued such permit may also transport an assault firearm between any of those locations, provided that such assault firearm is unloaded and secured within a closed container while being transported. The bill also provides that failure to display the permit and a photo identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer shall be punishable by a $25 civil penalty, which shall be paid into the state treasury. The bill also requires the Department of State Police to enter the name and description of a person issued a permit in the Virginia Criminal Information Network (VCIN) so that the permit's existence and current status will be made known to the law-enforcement personnel accessing VCIN for investigative purposes.

It looks like it would allow current owners to keep them for target shooting, hunting or on their own property.

Full Bill

A. Any person who legally owns an assault firearm on July 1, 2020, may apply for a permit to possess such assault firearm. The application shall be on a form prescribed by the Department of State Police and shall include a certification statement to be signed by the applicant under penalty of perjury certifying that the applicant is the lawful owner of the assault firearm and that the information presented on the application is true and correct. Upon receipt of a complete application for a permit, the Superintendent of State Police or his designee shall issue a permit to the applicant. The Department of State Police may charge a fee not to exceed $50 to cover the cost of the issuance of the permit.

B. The permit shall contain the name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, and color of hair of the applicant and a description of the assault firearm, including the make, model, caliber, and serial number of the assault firearm and any other information as required by the Department of State Police. Except as provided in subsection E, the permit shall not be transferable to another person. The permit shall remain valid as long as the applicant issued the permit remains the owner of the assault firearm unless during the time of ownership the applicant is found not to be in compliance with the conditions set forth in subsection D or the applicant no longer satisfies the requirements for the issuance of a permit. A person issued a permit shall notify the Department of State Police of any change in the person's address on a form provided by the Department of State Police within 30 days from the date of the change in address. Upon receipt of such notification, the Department of State Police shall issue a replacement permit to the person.

C. The Department of State Police shall, on or before January 1, 2026, review the criminal history record information for each person who has applied for a permit to possess an assault firearm to determine whether such person is prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm by state or federal law. If a person issued a permit is later found by the Department of State Police to be prohibited from possessing or transporting a firearm, the Department of State Police shall revoke the permit and notify such person of the revocation.

D. A person issued a permit to possess an assault firearm pursuant to subsection B may possess an assault firearm only under the following conditions:

1. While in his home or on his property or while on the property of another who has provided prior permission, provided that the person has the landowner's written permission on his person while on such property;

2. While at a shooting range, shooting gallery, or other area designated for the purpose of target shooting or the target range of a public or private club or organization whose members have organized for the purpose of practicing shooting targets or competing in target shooting matches;

3. While engaged in lawful hunting; or

4. While surrendering the assault firearm to a state or local law-enforcement agency.

A person issued a permit to possess an assault firearm may transport an assault firearm between any of the locations set forth in subdivision 1, 2, 3, or 4 provided that any assault firearm is unloaded and secured within a closed container while being transported. A person shall have the permit on his person at all times when he is transporting an assault firearm in accordance with this subsection and shall display the permit and a photo identification issued by a government agency of the Commonwealth or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. State Department u

edit on 2/11/2020 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/11/2020 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Also passed today, measures to circumvent electoral vote and move towards popular.

Not sure what this bill entails.

Honestly I don't want to look at it now. I think I've had enough VA politics for one day.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

"This is the first step in getting AR style weapons off the street."

so "nobody it taking away your guns" yet. But they are on the path to do so.
It's like they don't think folks are smart enough to understand their endgame.

I hope this can end quickly, and be used to deter future stupidity.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Sticks, especially sticks with pointy ends, are assault sticks and should also be banned.

Trees are the leading cause of assault sticks therefor I propose cutting down all the trees.

Just to be safe.

edit on 11-2-2020 by DBCowboy because: I am Batman

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Ya'll's leadership really isn't into the constitution at all are they.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Why do our lawmakers keep trying to take our rights away? Does anyone actually want less rights?

link   

originally posted by: network dude

Ya'll's leadership really isn't into the constitution at all are they.

I'm really not having a good time today.

I love this state and all its people... I'm having a hard time thinking about all of this logically without emotion.

link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
No word on grandfathering...

Another source:

Current owners of assault weapons would be grandfathered in and therefore able to keep their firearms.

The bill also doesn’t ban the possession of suppressors or silencers, but it does ban the sale of them after the bill takes effect.

Also:

"A semi-automatic center-fire rifle that expels single or multiple projectiles by action of an explosion of a combustible material with a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 12 rounds."

So if I'm reading this correctly it sounds like you can have a semi-automatic ghost gun if it has a clipazine of 12 or less freedom *pew* *pews*.

Makes no difference if you can't transport it.

What are they going to do, shoot inside their homes?

And yeah, I saw the provision posted above about legally owning and transporting.

It's horse#, if your weight or hair color is different than whats on the permit, your screwed.

edit on 11-2-2020 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Why do our lawmakers keep trying to take our rights away? Does anyone actually want less rights?

Just the law makers.

Don't you feel safe now?

I feel safer already!

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Dont forget Arizona, read earlier today on my phone that they were either voting or working on a bill that would ban ownership of an AR style rifle.

but we keep getting told nobody is coming for our guns.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Does anyone actually want less rights?

No, see, that's not how it works!

Some people want YOU to have less rights...while at the same time THEY demand more rights!

It's that "Selective Rights" clause in the Constitution...oh wait!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join