It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions for ATS Members that have left the Democratic party. When and Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hello ATS,

I am creating this discussion thread to get the personal stories of any ATS members that have left the Democratic party (mostly since the 2016 elections). I really wonder the reasoning behind your decision, as I know there are as many different answers as there are members. Now, before anyone begins the "what about members that left the Republican party...", I ask you to please create a discussion thread for that topic if you so desire. I welcome that balance.

However, for this thread I would kindly ask that we stay on-topic to allow members to share their reasons, discuss anything new that concerns you, and what would it take for you to return to that party for the 2020 election cycle.

Please, since this is NOT in the MudPit (intentionally) let's all be civil here, have a civil conversation, and be open and welcoming to other's opinions, especially if the differ from our own.

So, ATS membership, let's discuss (in no particular order):

• The reasons you left the Democratic party
  • When did that happen
  • Would you ever consider returning
  • What would it take to return
  • How has your personal life changed as a result (if at all)

edit on 2/11/2020 by Krakatoa because: fixed spelling errors

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I will start the conversation with my personal experience. I was raised in a staunchly Democrat led household. A nice average American family, brought up to be cordial and respect others. However, when I came of age to vote, I registered as an Independent from the start. This was, in my mind, a way of beginning with a blank slate, so I could listen and consider each point of the differing political parties had to offer me.

This incensed my staunch Democrat father. He and I argued over this, when prior to that he always supported me in everything I did. It was an eye opening experience to say the least. That he would let politics so get between us that we never spoke or discussed politics in the many decades until he passed.

I am today, still, those many decades later an Independent for much of the same reasons.

Would I choose a party? No, because I do not believe in conforming to a herd mentality or becoming so entrenched in ones politics that it would interfere in my personal life. I vote based upon the policies that are being put forth, and if they would benefit not only me by the entire country as a whole, to make it better than it was before.

I never tell anyone who I will vote for, since I do not decide until I am in that booth. And, from my perspective, my choice is my decision.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Krakatoa

I can't wait to see if one of them comes. Looks like an ambush

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I have never been a Democrat. I am registered independent as well. I have 2 close friends, both white males, that have publicly left the Democrat party. One left because of the Kavanaugh hearings, and one has left recently because of the scourge of Antifa and stated he can no longer exist within the whole SJW world that the democrat party seems to be full of. He stated that the party seemed completely concerned with non issues that were not important to the governing of a nation. The first friend is definitely voting for Trump, the second one does not know who he is voting for and may sit the next election out.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well, I was never officially a Democrat, but, I did lean very left. I stopped defending them when they started sounding insane, and the members on the right started making more sense.
I go where the sanity is, I guess.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   
So I guess I'll get the party started? (Watch, someone will hit "post" before I do, and I'll just sound silly)

So I left back in the Obama days; between the pyramid scheme of the "Cash for Clunkers" program which incentivized debt and government dependence, the ACA..... which again, incentivized debt and government dependence, and the "spending us out of debt" approach...... Which incentivized debt and government dependence, there was no possible way I could stand by and essentially condone the actions of a (slightly more so than the others) Nanny-State party.

Everything got worse, obviously, with the reauthorization of the NDAA which lifted the domestic ban on propaganda, the wiretapping, gun-running, bombing hospitals, etc.

On top of that, I had transitioned out of my remedial, mindless jobs and started moving up, and........... you guessed it, learning things! Having a better understanding and grasp of economics and certain realities allowed me to see, more clearly than before, that the majority of their policies are seemingly designed to run the country into the ground and cause more issues down the road. (Create a problem, create a solution which creates more problems, rinse and repeat)

Everything came to a head in 2015, moving into 2016, with.... well, everything since then. The 2016 election was actually enough to make my family (Life-long Democrats, Union Family) Turn away from that party indefinitely.

Honestly, at this point, there is absolutely nothing that could change my (or my family members') minds about going back; they've shown their true colors, their intents, their stupidity, hypocrisy, morality, (lack of) intelligence.

In answer to your final question, my life has been significantly better; not having a victim mentality has lead to more personal responsibility, resulting in higher accomplishments than I thought I could achieve, and just an overall better outlook on life. I guess the best way to put it, is that I am now pro-active, as opposed to re-active.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

I can't wait to see if one of them comes. Looks like an ambush

I assure you, this is not an ambush. I am genuinely interested. And, if you searhc my posting history, it will back that up as I openly have stated I did not vote for Trump or Hillary in the 2016 elections, but I do support the office of the president (regardless of who sits in that chair).

As the president, he is the captain of the flight I am on, so why would I want that captain to crash and burn when he would take me with that as well?

Sounds a bit crazy to me.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:30 PM
link   
a reply to: dothedew

Thank you for that story. Very interesting. I've seen a very similar set of circumstances, but my experience goes back almost 40 years.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Not nor never been a Democrat, but I’ll send you a PM with my thoughts.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
In my state, Washington, you need not "register" as anything. You just vote for who you want. Once in awhile, in a primary, you can choose only a GOP or Dem ballot to use, but you can choose either one, and there is nothing to prevent you from choosing the opposite party in the General. I can understand why the parties would want to restrict the ballots, but I do not consider it fair. There are many times when I have wanted the Dem for one office and the GOP for another office. You can no longer do that in a Primary. Further, it's a "top two" system so if you get two Dems who beat a GOP, the General only has the two Dems on it. The idea is to prevent cross over because a typical trick is to vote for the least likely candidate in one party in the Primaries to elevate this person to the General where he will get easily defeated. The thing is, this separate ballot policy doesn't work. I can easily switch parties in the General.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   

mostly since the 2016 elections

I left the Democrat Party in 1979. I left because it had become clear to me that the Democrat Party was ineffectual in implementing policies that I deemed necessary for the continued survival of the union. I registered Republican to vote in primaries to support those who I found to be most in line with my own perspective, though in presidential elections I have voted more third party than not.

In 2016 I switched back to the Democrat Party because it was clear to me that the Republican Party was about to be taken over by a self absorbed demi-god that in no way served the best interests of the union.

edit on 29America/ChicagoTue, 11 Feb 2020 16:03:37 -0600Tue, 11 Feb 2020 16:03:37 -060020022020-02-11T16:03:37-06:00400000003 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton
Well, I was never officially a Democrat, but, I did lean very left. I stopped defending them when they started sounding insane, and the members on the right started making more sense.
I go where the sanity is, I guess.

I'm very happy for you.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I left the liberal side of politics after I became a naturalized citizen. At that point, I had skin in the game and Ronald Reagan looked to be the best option (1984). I've been conservative ever since.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Well, I started as a Democrat in the early 1970s. A 1960s style JFK Democrat.
I quit when I realized Reagan was very much the same as a conservative 1960s Democrat with the same moderate views, so I switched to Republican.

George Walker Bush caused me to abandon both parties and turn Independent and I see no reason to rejoin either party now. I share beliefs and causes with both parties, depending on the topic. Neither actually represents my moderate views, so I join the largest voting block as so many others have.

Both parties have been taken over by their most radical proponents which is why I suspect so many have abandoned both of them. Both parties are so desperate to hang on to votes, they have lost their way entirely.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

they do that so that otherside cant pick a weaker canidate in primaries . some states have open primaries so say for example in my state montana im allowed to vote for the dem of my choice despite being a republican , so i could say vote for yang or biden in the primary and that is why they do that

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
I left the Democratic Party when I came to the conclusion that they are just Republican-lite, and far too centrist. America is the only country in the developed world where their policies are labeled as “left-wing”. In the rest of the world their policies are center to center-right.

They are slaves to their corporate masters the same as Republicans. There isn’t a party in America that’s left wing enough for me. What got me here? Talking to Republicans on ATS.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I left after Jimmy Carter proved to be incompetent, and Ronald Reagan made me feel proud to be an American.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I member asking my dad if mom could do anything he could not forgive they very much in love and his answer was she had and he married her anyway. The unforgivable act was that she had voted for FDR.

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 06:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

mostly since the 2016 elections

I left the Democrat Party in 1979. I left because it had become clear to me that the Democrat Party was ineffectual in implementing policies that I deemed necessary for the continued survival of the union. I registered Republican to vote in primaries to support those who I found to be most in line with my own perspective, though in presidential elections I have voted more third party than not.

In 2016 I switched back to the Democrat Party because it was clear to me that the Republican Party was about to be taken over by a self absorbed demi-god that in no way served the best interests of the union.

Yet our country as a whole is doing so much better now than it was in 2016, does that give you any pause about your decision? If you can change one party because of one man's personality, what does that say about the party you were supporting previously?

posted on Feb, 11 2020 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I was raised in a home where my parents were Democrats when I was young but changed to Republican when I was about 12.

I began as an Independent - Fiscal Conservative but Social Democrat.

I then decided to join the Democratic party for a number of reasons, the biggest being that it was almost impossible for an Independent to win major office, and I wanted an opportunity to vote in the Democratic primaries.

BTW - I still vote issues and candidates - not party.

Anyway, after Hillary outright stole the Democratic nomination from Bernie Sanders at the 2016 DNC convention - and did it with the blessing of other Dems - I was totally disgusted and left the party.

I am once more an Independent but I am a registered Democrat. Mostly to be the skunk at the wedding during the primaries. I tend to vote for the unpopular candidate or the 3rd name down on the ballot, depending on how I'm feeling at the moment.

edit on 2/11/2020 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join