It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather station in Antarctica records high of 65, the continent's hottest temperature ever

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
There is evidence that there was bare ground with animals and possibly hominids there a long time ago. I am sure that it was more than sixty five in Antarctica sometime, saying hottest ever is not correct.

When we go into our mini ice age soon, it will be the coldest ever I suppose.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Adaption is always the smartest policy. It's how evolution works, no? Those that can adapt survive. Those that survive pass on their traits to the future and shape those generations.

Thank you! That's what I've been telling everyone who brings climate change up amd starts spreading doom and gloom.

They're all worried about how living may get tougher, and they and their children won't be able live comfortably.

Well, survivors keep surviving!

The strong adapt and carry on.
The weak bray against the inevitable and perish.
edit on 722020 by AutomateThis1 because: Spelling

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:16 PM
link   
a reply to: myselfaswell

So what do you suggest we do about it?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: 0zzymand0s
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

A stellar engine is a fairly massive undertaking, even for a type-2 civilization. It would be easier (and cheaper) to simply tow the Earth out a ways and call it good.

On the other hand, if we move the sun, we can pick a cooler neighborhood.

We should just give all of our money to scientists so they can create a time machine to go back in time to before the industrial revolution and tell them that machinery is evil and that automation will lead to our demise and to keep working slaves to death, because it's good for the planet.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MRinder
a reply to: myselfaswell

So what do you suggest we do about it?

Just start with what ever you can. Maybe go and plant some trees somewhere.

Just like these people did.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

To be fair the temperature on the surface means little but with that being said we'd be an ignorant bunch of idiots to deny Antarctica is changing.

Because it's losing ancient frozen water at an unprecedented rate, we might not have much historical data other than ice cores but that's more than enough. Ice thats millions of years old is... Well millions of years old.

Denying the issue because rich people think money will fix the issue isn't going to help anybody. Nor have us prepared.
edit on 7-2-2020 by RAY1990 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AutomateThis1

Time travel into our own past appears to violate the laws of physics.

We're going to race our own extinction to a last-minute, by-the-skin-of-our-teeth win or, well... you know.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: 0zzymand0s

Well, that's life.
and it was a joke

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 11:08 PM
link   
It is summertime down there!

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I was going to start my own thread with this same exact subject but from a different article. Seems like hardworking journalists are doing their own research and data collection at an unprecedented rate for this many journalists from different publications to all have visited Antarctica this month to get their information.. that's a joke obviously.... so here is the article I saw in Bloomberg News.

( I am going to preface this post by saying that I am not pro pollution or antienvironment or whatever other negatives can be arbitrarily thrown at someone in order to delegitimize their argument based on character assassination rendering the person as not credible or not worthy of attention

"It's T-shirt Weather in Antarctica as Temperature Breaks Records"
Caption under a photo of the partially exposed shoreline reads

retreating snow cover exposes barren rock near Cape Folger on the Budd Coast on January 11, 2008 in the Australian Antarctic Territory.

1) So why are they showing a photo from January 2008 in an article that is about the year 2020. This is the main image for the article so its not for comparison of show loss between 2008 and 2020 a stock photo from getty by the way from 12 years ago is being used as evidence for todays environment.. This is what they call "fake news" but I guarantee this article would be given the OK by any of those b.s. ADD-ONS that are supposed to show people whats credible and what news is not credible. I don't know the names of specific programs off hand but you know what I mean.
2) No mention of February being the middle of the summer in the Southern Hemisphere anywhere in the article. As apparently some do not know Antarctica has summer time as well plus its a desert so there is not much replentished precipitation to recover small patches of exposed ground.

The reports are shocking, but not surprising, said Frida Bengtsson, who is leading a expedition to the Antarctic for the environmental group Greenpeace. “We’ve been in the Antarctic for the last month, documenting the dramatic changes this part of the world is undergoing as our planet warms,” she said in an email. “In the last month, we’ve seen penguin colonies sharply declining under the impacts of climate change in this supposedly pristine environment.”

3) Umm... this is surprising to me even if it is not surprising to Ms Bengtsson of Greenpeace. Its surprising to me that someone is apparently slaughtering penguins down there and no one is being prosecuted for exterminating penguins. She said "over the last month they've seen sharp declining populations" so over the last month a large amount of penguins have died because of climate change??? That does not happen!! Penguins don't spontaneously start to die because it reach 60 F outside, if so then there wouldn't be an outdoor penguin exhibit at the Houston Zoo!! In case you are unaware Houston summers can have multiple days in a row of +100F with high humidity just an example of ludicrousness of this article. But if there has been a sharp decline in the Penguin Population in the last month then where are the thousands upon thousands of penguin carcasses??? There are individual penguin colonies with over 2million penguins in them so for a sharp decline in population there has to be dead penguins strewn everywhere.

- Seriously wtf is wrong with these people that they can get away with being blatantly misleading and misinforming their readers or better yet who is incharge that is approving these works of fiction? Or are they classified and Present Day Fiction News Stories or some b.s. that allows an article to be portrayed as fact and scientific evidence being cited but its all a farce.

WOOOOW!!!
- so to answer my own question there is this statement further down the article so that there is plausible deniability if their "evidence" is ever called into question.

WMO experts will now investigate whether the warm event recorded by Argentine scientists is a weather phenomenon known as foehn. That is a common event in Alpine regions that often involves high winds at altitude and the rapid warming of air as it heads down slopes or peaks, driven by significant air pressure differences

It could be global warming or is could most likely be a weather phenomenon that is causing an isolated extreme that has no association with climate change.. Geese.. this is getting worse and worse.
-So if this point is the true cause of the sudden temp increase is the real culprit than my earlier question still stands
WHO IS KILLING ALL OF THE PENGUINS BY THE THOUSAND?? and WHERE ARE THE PENGUIN CARCASSES?
because if this isn't climate change and the high temp is caused by the foehn has the penguin population still sharply declined or did that never take place?

Lastly, the article sums up the situation by saying that the typical average temperature for Antarctica is between -10c and -60c... Well this is a very misleading statement as I attempted to fact check these figures with NOAA, NASA and Australian Meteorological Survey Data and this statement did appear onetime, but was specified in the next sentence stating that the shore line of Antarctica's temps reside around +10c but internally the continent's temp resides around -60 to -80. So obviously the coastline and the internal high altitude interior of Antarctica are completely different Climates that should not be smashed together to prove a Continental Average Temp without specificity of geography. The -10 to -60c avg was included for shock value so that seeing a different of -10c and +14c is a large temp difference. But if you compare the record +14c of article reference to the typical coastline temp of +10c its clear that this record wasn't anything extraordinary because the location this reading was taken is Cape Folger right on the water edge.

After I had all of this running through my head as I was still attempting to read the entirety of the article I finally reached the end and saw Bloomberg had a poll at the bottom asking :

"Are you concerned by the news that Antarctica has experienced a record-breaking temperature?"
Very concerned
Somewhat concerned
Not concerned
Not sure / no opinion

so I decided to click my answer and selected submit or next or whatever the button said I then received a warning message asking me if I wanted to allow for location tracking so I declined the location tracking, which triggered another error message stating "inorder to submit your response to this survery please read and agree to location tracking"

This is what really prompted my need to post this b.s. to ATS for some reason. In order to answer a survey in response to a news article I must allow myself to be tracked digitally and physically "geocaching/gps" and cookies?? this is part just took the are and resulted in this long probably incoherent post. Hopefully I made sense with this post.
No wonder there are so many people that believed AOC. If I hadn't studied Geology in college and had professors from multiple science departments that work at NOAA and NIST and SWRi tell us that Global Warming is not a man made process. These types of articles are what is hurting our understanding of this planet and life as we know it
Faking animal dies offs in order to push a false narrative is insidious and wrong likeUsing photos from over a decade ago as evidence for current weather trends

edit on 8-2-2020 by htxhardheads because: misspsell

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

The averages of cycles, some we have not previously seen or recorded.
The place can also get so cold that the polar bears have to stay in the water.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: htxhardheads

Depends on what species of penguin they are talking about.
There are seven species that can be found in the Antarctic, and four of those species live there year round.

Adelie

Migration and Vagrancy:
Adelie Penguins are migratory and after breeding do not return to their colonies until the next spring. Little is know about the non-breeding distribution of this species. There are only a few records of Adelie Penguins during the Antarctic winter. Recent work using satellite telemetry indicates that Adelie Penguins from the Ross Sea leave this area in autumn and migrate about 600 km north of the Antarctic continent. Juveniles are suspected to travel even further north than adults. Vagrant birds have been recorded as far north as South Georgia, Falkland Islands, Kerguelen, Macquarie Island, Tasmania, Heard Island, and the South Island of New Zealand.

Emperor

Migration and Vagrancy:
Little is known about post-breeding dispersal or migration. Adults stay close to the permanent ice for most of their lives. Juveniles equipped with satellite transmitters, however, migrated as far north as the polar front. Vagrants have turned up on the South Shetland Islands, Tierra del Fuego, the Falklands, South Sandwich Islands, Kerguelen Island, Heard Island, and New Zealand.

Chinstrap

Migration and Vagrancy:
Chinstrap Penguins leave their breeding colonies during winter, probably migrating north of the pack-ice and stay at sea until the next spring. Non-breeders have been recorded in Adelie Land, Antarctica and stragglers have reached Australia and Tierra del Fuego.

Gentoo

Migration and Vagrancy:
Gentoo Penguin can be found near their colonies all year round unless ice prevents access, as it can in the southern parts of their range. Nevertheless, vagrants have been found as far north as 43°S on the Argentinean coast as well as in Australia and New Zealand.

King

Migration and Vagrancy:
Due to the extended breeding cycle some birds can be found in the colony at any time of the year. During winter, adults leave their chicks unattended and may travel extensively before returning. Stragglers have reached the Antarctic Peninsula, Mawson, Gough Island, South Africa, southern Australia (including Tasmania), the North and South Islands of New Zealand, as well as New Zealand’s sub-Antarctic islands.

Macaroni

Migration and Vagrancy:
Macaroni Penguins are migratory and found only exceptionally near land during the non-breeding season. Vagrant dark-faced birds are known from South Africa, Antarctica, Campbell Island, and The Snares. Royal Penguins have been recorded, possibly breeding, on Heard, Kerguelen, Crozet Island, and Marion Island amongst dark-faced Macaroni Penguins and stragglers have been observed as far north as North Island, New Zealand.

Rock Hopper

Migration and Vagrancy:
The non-breeding pelagic range is poorly known. Moulting birds especially have been found in South Africa, Australia and New Zealand. The western subspecies (nominate form) has been recorded as far as the Snares Islands during moult. Vagrants of the Northern Rockhopper have been recorded on the Chatham Islands.

So, these are the seven species of penguin that can be found on the Antarctic continent. Furthermore, even though four of thebspecies live there year round they have all been found on other continents. Depending on how much access they have to open water their distribution can vary. I'm sure thay all seven of the species can and will migrate and adapt as needed. These birds are more swimmers than walkers, and swim long distances they can. As long as they have access to a food supply they will adapt.
edit on 822020 by AutomateThis1 because: Spelling

edit on 822020 by AutomateThis1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 02:16 AM
link   
The temperatures have not changed, as proven by our historical records of the last century, over the entire world.

This lie about 'climate change' is total nonsense.

They make claims about 'Antarctica', where nobody lives, but so-called 'scientists', who make those claims, without anyone else to confirm it..who figured?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 04:05 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

65 degrees in Antarctica?

It's 15 degrees right now in NJ.

15 ffs...

What in the inglorious f#ck is going on?!

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 08:11 AM
link   
The highest temperature we have been told about....and we ARE the Sheeple after all right?

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Plotus

Not uncommon in NC at all, It's currently 39 in Charlotte, with a low of 30 this evening. I see snow moving into the picture on radar as well. Welcome to February in NC, you can experience all 4 seasons in a couple of days. It's been that way for the last 8 years that I've lived here, and was that way the couple of years I lived here around 2000. We had an F1 tornado with a trail of 17 miles through south Charlotte just the other day while temps were in the 70's. This is all normal.

posted on Feb, 8 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This study showed Antarctica was much warmer 55 million years ago. It’s the degree of man made versus natural climate change that is so difficult to ascertain in my humble opinion. Nostradamus states in one of his quatrain about mankind migrating to the polar northern countries because of out of control heat.
www.sciencealert.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: charlyv

That's the Arctic, there's no polar bears in the Antarctic. The Antarctic sits in a continent, the Arctic stretches to continents within it's cold season.

And no. When water that has been frozen for millions of years is melting it becomes a little more than your average cycle. And yes, we can record atmospheric conditions etc of this ancient ice.

Ya know? before it melts.

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 01:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

It's the summer in the southern hemisphere...

posted on Feb, 9 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

originally posted by: ketsuko
You do know that they've only been keeping temperature records in Antarctica for about 30 years, right? That's not a very long period of time as far as something like reliable climate records are concerned.

What 720,000 years of ice can tell us about climate change in the past — and the future

An Antarctic ice core details changes in the Earth’s temperature, rainfall, and wind over hundreds of thousands of years

www.theverge.com...

I LOL'd at this, great response. Right wingers think the ice on Antartica is only 30 years old. They're not really saying that, but when they say they've only been recording temps for 30 years so that leaves a big, "I don't know" then they are. I do like some of the Antartica conspiracy theories but a warm Antartica theory has to do with Pangaea era and the theoretical Atlantis. It's not 30 years either, they started scientifically recording temps in 1961.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join