It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather station in Antarctica records high of 65, the continent's hottest temperature ever

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

An Antarctic ice core details changes in the Earth’s temperature, rainfall, and wind over hundreds of thousands of years

Ice cores can give a lot of detail. They will not give you daily temperatures. Like is being talked about here.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Sign of ice age is coming

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
You do know that they've only been keeping temperature records in Antarctica for about 30 years, right? That's not a very long period of time as far as something like reliable climate records are concerned.

When the OP says "Ever", they sorta skip over the part where Antarctica used to be tropical.

Like it was once covered in palm trees and was a rain forest.

So "Ever" now means "In the last 30 years or so."

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

We only have reliable, continuous Antarctic records since the early 60s.
Buying carbon credits from Al Gore fixes nothing and is a fool's errand

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sookiechacha

You do know that they've only been keeping temperature records in Antarctica for about 30 years, right? That's not a very long period of time as far as something like reliable climate records are concerned.

What 720,000 years of ice can tell us about climate change in the past — and the future

An Antarctic ice core details changes in the Earth’s temperature, rainfall, and wind over hundreds of thousands of years

www.theverge.com...

If it can, then why has no one learned from it? You know that generally speaking the earth has been both much warmer and much colder overall than it is today?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

Ice cores can give a lot of detail. They will not give you daily temperatures. Like is being talked about here.

They can show global warming and ice age patterns though, right?

We're going with more that daily thermometer data, I hope?

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Northwest winds are the coldest winds we experience here.

I am from Wisconsin and our family went to see friends right near Phoenix over the holidays.
For 3 days, Phoenix was colder than Wisconsin by several degrees.

Wisconsin has experienced a warmer than usual year.
Phoenix, on the other hand, just the opposite as quite cool.

Go figure.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Actually that is why many are snickering. This record being recorded is a daily one only. Ice cores due show ice age and global warming natural environmental cycles. This is not any need for taxing nor depopulating our earth, Reducing cow methane, ect.

Your own post acknowledges the common sense of natural cycles and we do not need to make extreme posturing nor throw money at it to fixit.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: MRinder

We can't fix it but we need to be getting ready for it.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Adaption is always the smartest policy. It's how evolution works, no? Those that can adapt survive. Those that survive pass on their traits to the future and shape those generations.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

The OP was about the hottest day ever.

And how this shows global warming is happening right in front of our eyes.

Because the hottest day ever.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

What 720,000 years of ice can tell us about climate change in the past — and the future

www.theverge.com...

From your article

Data suggests that when the arctic would cool, the Antarctic would warm. The research team believes that the inverse relationship between the two poles is due to an ocean current that keeps Europe and North America warm during the winter.

I think the "research team" needs to be informed of hemispheres, and the tilt of earth. It kinda directly correlates why one pole gets warm when the other gets cold.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   
You know Australia's been getting smoked, what can we in the Northern Hemisphere expect this summer ? Trees are blooming in North Carolina on February 7th......

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Vector99

I think the "research team" needs to be informed of hemispheres, and the tilt of earth. It kinda directly correlates why one pole gets warm when the other gets cold.

STOP IT with bringing rational thought into a global warming thread!

You will make people cry!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lumenari
a reply to: Vector99

STOP IT with bringing rational thought into a global warming thread!

You will make people cry!!!

Meh fine...I won't tell them that continental drift typically isn't accounted for in ice cores, or that Antarctica was once a lush land of greenery.

I swear this is the last time you silence me!!!

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

Yeah, I wasn't answering the OP. I was answering Ketsuko, who said "You do know that they've only been keeping temperature records in Antarctica for about 30 years, right? That's not a very long period of time as far as something like reliable climate records are concerned."

In reality, we have more than that, that emcompasses the data being applied to global warming science.

edit on 7-2-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Silcone Synapse

A stellar engine is a fairly massive undertaking, even for a type-2 civilization. It would be easier (and cheaper) to simply tow the Earth out a ways and call it good.

On the other hand, if we move the sun, we can pick a cooler neighborhood.
edit on 7-2-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: myselfaswell
a reply to: MRinder

How do you recommend we fix it?

Give some people, who should never be trusted to fix anything, a sh!t tonne of money, then turn your attention back to your shiny and colourful phone.

I have not read of many members that really support that..carbon tax that is.

Having said that..doing nothing is definitely not going to help, although I'm not sure it's fixable even.

Change our habits in general, regarding all pollution/waste. Shift to greener systems where possible(yes, this will cost)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I have read enough scientific papers on the subject of CC to know that AGW is real. I am also aware that the only effective solutions are direct action.

Sadly that means, ACTUALLY GETTING OFF YOUR F&^#(NG ARSE AND DOING SOMETHING ABOUT IT. But this is not that world, this is not the world where people do that. This is the world of ZERO responsibility This is the world of.....it's somebody else's fault.......it's somebody else's problem.......somebody else will fix it.....how could it possibly be little ol me...... Or the ultimate laziness of all.......argue that it doesn't exist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join