It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California Has Become America's First Third World State

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Some of these laws appear to be created to actually increase the homeless population.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I can tell you that Irvine is not a 3rd world country just based on the amount of ridiculously expensive or exotics cars I see there every time out there. Additionally in Irvine the cost of living is crazy..$2300 for a 700 Square foot apt.

Irvine is and always has been a nice community.

I'm not surprised at all by the rent numbers.

The only saving grace for me in the early 90's was the price of rents in the area were not proportional to the sale prices of the houses.

I actually rented a nice 2 bedroom apt a block off of El Camino Real in Palo Alto for $650/month. At the time I moved I was paying $900 for a 2 bedroom in Westchester county NY so it was like I hit the lottery for moving as I also got a raise for making the move.

Thank God for small mercies.

Those were the days...

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Some of these laws appear to be created to actually increase the homeless population.

You bet they are.

They closed the shelter because the administrator refused to give the mayor the names and personal information of every person who came to the shelter. Go figure.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Everyone is broke in California, you need a lot of money to live there because they have such a high cost of living. I would never move there. Fifteen bucks an hour is a decent job here, there it is just barely enough to be able to survive.

I think they need to get new people running that state.

Let’s see:

“You need a lot of money to live there because (of the) high cost of living”

Nope! I live in a suburb of the capital city, own my home, bought a new car just last year, finished off a 3 .5lb beef ribeye roast last night for dinner,

And live on less than $3,000 @ month, from my pension.

Granted, buying a house back in 2012 has gone a long way towards building my now comfortable lifestyle; if I had to rent somewhere, I would require at least one roommate.

But owning a home has virtually always been preferable to renting one.

And, just to add, the city I live in is one of the most racially and ethnically diverse in the country. I’ve written in another thread about the absolutely enormous international food market just down the road from me; they even have several species of live fish, in tanks, for sale. Talk about “Fresh” good!
edit on 6-2-2020 by Bhadhidar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 06:08 PM
link   

a reply to: Blue Shift

I’ll concede the point only as much as policy is enabling and making it easier to be homeless

"Easier" is not exactly the word I would use.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: slatesteam

Another lifetime resident here. Yeah the urban centers are getting overrun with the homeless, like many say with the mild weather why would you panhandle anywhere else? There are rumors that some states give their homeless one-way bus tickets to California. Is that true? Could be. Even so it's still the most desirable place to live in the country hence the high cost. Still, the biggest problems we face can be directly attributed to the stranglehold that Democrats have on government from the governor all the way down to the local level.
On a positive note, going by conversations with friends (who are overwhelmingly liberal) there appear to be cracks forming in their beliefs in a liberal utopia. Reality is hitting them hard and many have confided to me that they think Dem leadership has gone off the deep end and drastic changes need to be made. I'm hoping that this November the needle will move noticeably to the right, I doubt we'll turn red but maybe things will be a little more balanced.
Like so many, it's hard for me to throw in the towel and just leave the state. It pisses me off to work so hard and earn a (small) slice of paradise only to be chased out by an out-of-control government and a bunch of drug addicted bums, not to mention the exploding illegal alien issue (the Sanctuary State BS is something pretty much everyone can agree on).

I've never lived more than a mile from the coast and grew up surfing some of the best breaks from Ventura to San Diego. It's where I live and I ain't leaving.

edit on 2 6 2020 by underpass61 because: sp

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 06:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
On a positive note, going by conversations with friends (who are overwhelmingly liberal) there appear to be cracks forming in their beliefs in a liberal utopia. Reality is hitting them hard and many have confided to me that they think Dem leadership has gone off the deep end and drastic changes need to be made.

But what changes, exactly? I suppose we could hire roving paramilitary units who would beat up the homeless and give them bus tickets to... I don't know... Montana?

I've never lived more than a mile from the coast and grew up surfing some of the best breaks from Ventura to San Diego. It's where I live and I ain't leaving.

Dude. Locals only.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
More generalizations....pffft, I would expect more from this board. I live in Devin N country, rural, the majority of the voters in my county are Pubs, no # on the sidewalks, no needles lying around? keep watching TV and consuming...everything is fine.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Blue Shift

Sane liberals like Dr. Drew Pinsky recognize the issue isn't housing, it's addiction and mental health. These people need treatment and it should be mandatory. Lawbreakers need to be jailed, not given a ticket for thefts of less than $950 in value per day. That would be a good start.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Austin recently made it ok to set up tent areas people from Huston and other areas have now moved to Austin so yea local laws do make a big difference in the homeless pop.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
a reply to: strongfp

Trump and his cult followers brag about the best economy the US has ever seen, factual or not and then news like this comes out. The Trump party also thinks homelessness is included in the unemployment category.

Taxes imposed by the local and State governments are not a concern of the Federal government .
State and local fiscal policy are not a concern of the Federal government .

Epic failure at your attempt to tie Trump with the failures in Cali.
Denying ignorance.
Why ?
Sometimes it is so obvious I shouldn't have to.

edit on 2/6/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Knapperdude
More generalizations....pffft, I would expect more from this board. I live in Devin N country, rural, the majority of the voters in my county are Pubs, no # on the sidewalks, no needles lying around? keep watching TV and consuming...everything is fine.

I'm sure the area that you live in is beautiful.

Have you been to San Francisco lately though?

It used to be a beautiful city on so many levels.

You should see it now though...it's heart breaking.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
What is the correlation of this thread and Trump's booming economy?

That state law has the power to screw you every bit as much as federal law if not more.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Riffrafter

originally posted by: smurfy

originally posted by: Riffrafter

California has the highest population in the nation (135,000)

Huh!....40 million more like.

Good catch - it's straight from the article.

Maybe it was referring to the number of homeless people?

I have no idea.

Um of course it was, you have really bad reading comprehension if you did not get that.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter There are plenty of major metropolitan areas east of Ca. that are chitholes? and yes the last time I was in S.F there was a guy passed out on the courthouse stairs with a needle in his arm...The last time I was in Detroit I was at a store that was robbed at gunpoint by the three guys in front of me?

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

Cali produces 13% of the world's fruits, vegetables,
beans, nuts, beef, sheep and fish.

It's a national treasure that deserves to good infrastructure
and protection. A lot of bases are in CA.

The homeless should be offered long term living
quarters in order to provide the basic necessities.
The homes will enable the poor to get jobs and live
a good life.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: jjkenobi

Ask yourself, with what is arguably the USA's best economy ever, why would California be having problems?

The answer is pretty obvious.

The answer is...its CA...

158,000 homeless and the 1,042,027 millionaires that live there can't fix it? Wait... that is like 99% liberal millionaires, my bad.

edit on 6-2-2020 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 01:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter And on the world stage you midwesterners and southerners get to see how their states will be,the world's a stage and Hollywood is run by rulers,you have no say,the Old world Order will hand keys over to the New,.new boss

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Hes later. Right now California is being destroyed and look who the majority is.

posted on Feb, 7 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThatDidHappen
a reply to: Riffrafter

Cali produces 13% of the world's fruits, vegetables,
beans, nuts, beef, sheep and fish.

It's a national treasure that deserves to good infrastructure
and protection. A lot of bases are in CA.

The homeless should be offered long term living
quarters in order to provide the basic necessities.
The homes will enable the poor to get jobs and live
a good life.

How dare you interject logic and common sense into this thread?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join