It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spartacus is dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Actor Kirk Douglas, a legend if ever there was one, has died at the age of 103.

I find it oddly coincidental that one of his best known roles was that of the slave turn rebellion leader Spartacus, who inspired such loyalty among his followers that, when they had the opportunity to “rat him out” to the Romans hunting him, instead, stood, one by one, each declaring that he, himself, was the doomed Spartacus.

That devotion to valor, in the face of personal peril was sadly lacking today among certain of our current leadership.

I fear we shall not see its like again.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Beat me to it.

Kirk Douglas, Hollywood Icon and Spartacus Star, Dies at 103

I think Spartacus was the first film I saw him in.

With over 92 acting credits, including some 75 movies, seven of which co-starred his friend Burt Lancaster, Douglas became a superstar even before the term was coined.

While Douglas’ on and off-screen bravado could be overpowering, and even difficult at times, he was a man of heartfelt conviction, hiring blacklisted screenwriter Dalton Trumbo — and giving him full-screen credit — to write the 1960 epic Spartacus, in which Douglas starred and served as executive producer.

“It was such a terrible, shameful time,” Douglas told PEOPLE about the communist purge of the entertainment industry during the ’40s and 50’s. “Dalton was in prison because he refused to answer questions, so I decided, the hell with it! I’m going to put his name on it. I think that’s the thing I’m most proud of because it broke the blacklist.”

As told in his 1988 autobiography, The Ragman’s Son, Douglas — who was born Issur Danielovitch Demsky — was born the poor son of an illiterate Russian-Jewish immigrant.

Douglas spoke about his father to PEOPLE, revealing that, “My father was not very affectionate, he was never interested in what I was doing. I had six sisters and no brothers and I wanted to be close to my father and he just ignored me.”

Instead, he says he found affection from his mother and became determined to not be as distant with his children as his father was with him.

“I’m much more demonstrative with my kids about hugging and kissing them and telling them that I love them,” he said. “My father wasn’t like that.”

Seems like a good man.
edit on 5-2-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
He was still alive? ?? Before now?

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I was amazed, around the holidays I saw a picture with probably 4 generations or so of his family standing around him in a chair.

He lived a full life, lived in 2 centuries, through tremendous change. He must of been a wise man.

Kind of person it would be great to sit next to on a porch, at the bar, wherever and just listen.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jefferton

This is the start of just about every Mandela Effect.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Corey Booker died?

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Truly one of the KINGS of the Golden Cinema Years.

For this world - he's 'immortal' through his films.

I hope he's immortal in the next.

Prayers for his family and friends.
edit on 2030Wednesday202013 by silo13 because: Because this thread NEEDS a PIC

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Ask Natalie Wood's family.
a reply to: Liquesence

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Oh No He Isn't.

"I'M SPARTACUS!"

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Jefferton

at 103 he was probably glad to go

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA

originally posted by: Jefferton

This is the start of just about every Mandela Effect.
Yes its a fatal attraction

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   
I thought I was experiencing the mandela effect because I remember commenting on KD about 3 years ago.

He was 103 so 3 years ago he was 100. Doh!

I was wishing him happy birthday.

Farewell, dimple-chinned one.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 09:29 PM
link   
RIP Mr. Douglas. You will be missed .

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
1. The man was a chin with legs.

2. There's really no rhyme nor reason for who lives to be 100 and who doesn't. Except I'm sure it helps to be wealthy and connected enough to be able to afford the best medicine/doctors on the planet (and the social connections to know who and where they are). Who knows? He might have died at 70 if he was a retired teamster with fly by night insurance. That's pretty much how mere peasants usually go.

3. But yeah. I had no idea he was still alive.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   
rest in piece kirk

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I loved watching Kirk Douglas in this movie with John Wayne called the War Wagon.
en.wikipedia.org...
I remember one where he was a Viking also. The axes in the door scene was pretty cool.
Rip Kirk thanks for the memories.

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Godspeed Spartacus!!

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

When you look in a dictionary for "Hollywood Legend" it just says ... See Kirk Douglas.
They don't make em like him anymore , come to think about it they didn't make many like him back then.

RiP Mr Douglas , Sir.

top topics

join