It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FBI downloads CIA hacking tools from Starbucks WiFi

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   
According to this story that just appeared on slashdot,

it.slashdot.org...

The FBI obtained the Vault 7 and Vault 8 materials that were entered into evidence yesterday in the Joshua Schulte trial, using Starbucks WiFi. I'm not sure how true this is, the anonymous poster provides a link to documentcloud.org in the story. Apparently
they used a new computer and Starbucks WiFi, to sandbox themselves from possible CIA malware infecting their own machines!
Joshua Schulte was a CIA software engineer that is alleged to have leaked information about the CIA's hacking tools. You can get the complete story from this Wallstreet Journal article here.

www.wsj.com...

If it is true, and I can neither confirm nor deny that it is, I would have to give kudos to the FBI for this one, you guys should be working for the spooks! Or maybe you are?

edit on 5-2-2020 by LiveWire007 because: Correction.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Wasn't Starbucks but a McDonalds. I seldom go there any more but I notice there is no one sitting around with their computers or other electronic devices taking advantage of their free WiFi any more. Don't know when people stopped using it..

posted on Feb, 6 2020 @ 02:19 AM
link   
In some ways it seems a reasonable thing to do in that by the time they get someone over to the place they'll be long gone and with the footfall be pretty hard to spot someone and then you've got to find them and the computer which may of changed hands several times along with the drive cloned for extra security.

Also shop wifi can and does leak outside the building so depending on how sneaky you are use wifi repeaters and other fun routing methods to mean that the person doing the work could be sat well away from the actual building (think miles and miles even across the world).

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 01:55 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2020 @ 01:59 AM
link   

edit on 28-3-2020 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

top topics

join