It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doug Jones leaving US Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Doug Jones resigns Senate seat

Well, it might as well say that. Doug Jones just announced he will "reluctantly" vote to convict Donald Trump. That's a resignation.

If anyone from his team is reading ATS, relay this message:

"GET OUT!"

I usually don't get so involved in local politics other than spreading information via acquaintances, but I may volunteer for whoever is running against him this time.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Who is running against him? Roy Moore?

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:34 AM
link   
So, some Congressmen and congresswomen are getting sick of playing this partisan game. The Senate congressmen are forced to vote along party lines because the House Democrats did an impeachment, one with no real legal base to it.

Yes, Trump can be a jerk but what he did was legal. This political war that is going on with tons of twisted evidence formed from opinions coming from a dozen or more Democratic Senators is hurting our country. Those congressmen need to be taken out of office immediately.

No respectful person is going to even run for congress or the whitehouse in the future. Only corrupt troublemakers will apply for the job.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

Primary is next month. So far, I know that Judge Roy Moore, Jeff Sessions, Bradley Byrne, and Tommy Tuppervile are running for the Republican nomination. Judge Roy is not an odds-on favorite this time due to him stopping short of the finish line last time. Sessions is battling against his poor performance as Attorney General. Byrne is a career Republican, but he is a big Trump supporter. Not familiar with Tupperville yet.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Bye Doug Jones!

(DB waves bye-bye)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Around these parts, it's "Don' let th' door hit ya whar th' good Lord split ya!"

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Update on Tuberville (honest mistake spelling his name earlier):

Looks like he'll be my choice in the primary. Ex-Auburn coach (they actually have coaches? Wow...) but he's an outsider instead of a career politician. He fully supports Trump's policies. Only problem is,he's going up against some big names around here. EVERYBODY knows Judge Roy and Jeff Sessions, and Byrne is one of our up-and-coming Republican chosen ones. Tuberville is unknown outside of SEC followers, but in Alabama? That might be enough.

He also has an advantage over Jones... Jones' base is the Montgomery/Selma area. That's also where they worship tigers of orange and blue and the mighty War Chickens.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Doug Jones just announced he will "reluctantly" vote to convict Donald Trump.

Bravo.

A man that takes his oath to the US Constitution seriously.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Only problem is,he's going up against some big names around here. EVERYBODY knows Judge Roy and Jeff Sessions, and Byrne is one of our up-and-coming Republican chosen ones. Tuberville is unknown outside of SEC followers, but in Alabama? That might be enough.

Thanks for the update.

They'll first run against each other, right? Then, the winner will run against Jones in November.

Good luck with your choice!

I'm about as far from Alabama as one can be, in mind and body, but I think Sessions and Moore are washed up, although I feel sorry for Sessions. I think really it's between Byrne and Tuberville.

It's probably in the bag for a Republican, unless Trump commits a FUBAR SNAFU between now and November.

edit on 5-2-2020 by Sookiechacha because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Bravo.

He's quitting. I would not call that serious at all. He's an attorney and wants to get back to making real money. If he was serious he would stick it out because that seat is going to flip Red easily without a viable Democrat.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

Doug Jones is quitting?

I think you're mistaken.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   

No, he's not mistaken. Jones just quit as surely as someone punching their boss in the face quit. A pregnant turtle dressed in red with "MAGA" painted ox n the shell could beat him in November.

Go back through my posts over the last month. I have said over and over that I was considering voting for Jones this time, IF he voted to acquit Trump. He chose not to. Ergo, he quit. And I'm far from alone... his name is now tainted as someone who has placed themselves above the people and above the Constitution. 'Bama will not stand for that; it's the same reason we threw out Robert Bentley.

That's 1 gain in the Senate for the Republicans.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

No, he's not mistaken. Jones just quit as surely as someone punching their boss in the face quit. A pregnant turtle dressed in red with "MAGA" painted ox n the shell could beat him in November.

But he will be on the ballot in November. right? So, not quitting. Seeing it to the end, maybe.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:22 PM
link   

So far he'll be on the ballot. Wouldn't surprise me if the Democrats here ousted him in the primary, though.

Doesn't change the fact that his job is over. His services are no longer required.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Bravo.

All it really means is that he doesn't understand the Constitution or the oath he took to uphold it.

Good riddance.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

If he gets ex players to make commercials, sign balls for auctions, and so on

He’s going to be a social media darling

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
a reply to: SocratesJohnson

He needs to get busy.

I flipped over to local news today (strong storms predicted) and Byrne is blanketing the airwaves. Sessions has been going on Fox News pretty regularly. Moore... well, it's like he tossed his hat in the ring and walked away to wait in the corner.

This morning I had no idea who Tuberville or Byrne even were. I got a call wanting to take a poll (which I usually answer) and found out from there who was in the Republican primary. I realized how close it was, so I started researching the candidates. Not everyone is going to take the time out of their day to do that; Tuberville needs to get some commercials out there, or I have a feeling Byrne will wind up with the nomination. I don't trust lifelong politicians from either party, but I'll DAMN sure vote for Byrne over Jones. We'll have another shot at him in 6 years, and hopefully he'll not screw up too badly before then.

Then again, maybe he'll surprise me... I hope so!

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Yeah, but we both know in these parts he's not gonna get a lot of the vote simply because of who he coached (for better or worse).

As a Trump supporting Alabamian, I might vote for him. As a Bama fan, I'll do it with my nose up and towards my left shoulder.

posted on Feb, 5 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Bravo.

Its unfortunate, then, that he doesn't appear to understand what is written in it.

top topics

join