It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I won't shop at Walmart

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I rarely shop at Walmart, but sometimes I am just closer to it than other stores and just need to pick one thing up. Never again.

Let me describe my last two visits.

First visit, two cops at both exit doors, hands on their holsters, they seriously look like they are going to blow someones head off.

Second visit. I just pick up two items and go to self checkout. Greeter person sees me and asks for my receipts. Now I know it isn't a big deal, but it kinda is. I'm of the mind that either everyone needs to show a receipt or nobody. This "random" nonsense just makes me angry.
I think what really chaps my hide is that there are tons and tons of shoplifters. Sometimes shoplifters are on the news stealing a cart full of expensive items, yet here I am with some shredded cheese and taco shells and they are eyeballing me like America's most wanted. It seems they only stop people that ACTUALLY PAY! (sounds like America as a whole doesn't it...hmmm???)....

I know working at Walmart must suck, but something about our Walmart makes it even worse. The workers don't talk, nada, nothing. Wait, they do talk, but only when asking for a receipt. I decided I am no longer going to spend my money at places that don't want it, goodbye forever Walmart! Rant over!

Edit to add. The Walmart in question is in a very nice safe area. I can't even imagine a Walmart in a rough part of town. Do they pat people down or what?

edit on 4-2-2020 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

He picked you because you only bought 2 items. Fast and Easy.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Heh, I was just going to say that sometimes, it's because of what area of town you're shopping in.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   

I'm right there with ya. I hate shopping there. If I have to I'll go to Target, but I'd rather drive an extra ten or fifteen minutes to go to a store I want to go than Walmart.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutomateThis1

I'm right there with ya. I hate shopping there. If I have to I'll go to Target, but I'd rather drive an extra ten or fifteen minutes to go to a store I want to go than Walmart.

Seriously, I'm going to go to Target or the regular grocery store or Amazon. Too much nonsense just to shop.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
We occasionally go to Walmart, we get our cat treats there. We get enough to last a month each time, and lots of times we get that box of lickable treats at petsmart instead. We also pick up our shortening there, it is getting hard to find animal based shortening in the other stores around here. We no longer use Crisco. I would say we go Walmart six times a year.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I purchased something at WalMart. I don't even remember what it was, but it was big and heavy and took me two hands to carry it. Gal asks me for my receipt. What do I do? It was in my pocket. So I shoved the item into her hands an said, "Here!" while I searched for my receipt. I opened it up and placed it in front of her face. "See?" I said. Then I shoved it back into my pocket, grabbed my package, and walked out of the store.

I have to admit that was somewhat gratifying.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I no longer shop there period. I don’t need the aggravation.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I really loathe shopping at Walmart, and avoid it if I can. I never, ever buy groceries or produce there, but occasionally toiletries if I don't order online. Alas, because I live in a somewhat rural area, Walmart is the closest if I need something quickly.

There are several reasons why I loathe Walmart. It started about a decade or more ago when I they slowly stopped carrying things I would regularly buy, from CD cases, to Kimchi, and so many other things over the years I just got fed up. If you don't carry what I buy, no reason at all to shop there. Their produce sucks, looks old and wilted and doesn't last long once purchased.

Not to mention, at least the one nearest me, there were never more than three registers open, each with long ass lines. You're too cheap to open another lane or to accommodate customers, especially when I run in to get less than five items and have to wait in line forever? And people are in the "express" line with 20-30 items? (This was before self-checkouts)

Another thing that pissed me off was several years ago I had a nail in my tire. I think it was a Sunday and all the other mechanics were closed, so I went to Walmart for a simple plug that takes, what, 15 minutes? They wanted me to wait two hours while they put new tires on like three different cars because "that's the order." You mean you can't take 15 freaking minutes to quickly plug a tire? F you.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Went the last time about 12 years ago. I use Amazon and grocery delivery from a good grocer. I did the math on grocery shopping myself and could not justify it anymore. For $5, no wear on my car and get back a couple hours not having to deal with strolling a cart, lines and checkout problems.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I shop at Walmart. Here is why

Years ago when I first became aware of the octopus that is Walmart I shunned it knowing about the way it spread itself across the landscape eating up all the competition in it's wake. The devastation it wrecked upon small communities across the land where ever it sunk it's poisonous roots in the soil.

In small communities and towns is was evident that the profits that in older times would go to locally owned businesses, small businesses, mom and pop shops would now be leaving the communities where that profit had been re invested helping keep the communities alive.

For several decades I never went into one. But then I saw that it was here to stay.

Now I live in one of those small communities. And sure we have other grocery stores, a few, and other hardware stores, some. But for other items of need, there is only WALMART.

The dye is cast. Our best option to Walmart is of course........Amazon. So as we watch the behemoths battle for supremacy around us belching out their bargains we scurry among the wreckage they create around them while they fight for wealth on the world wide corporate battlefield.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Evidently the Walmart’s in my area are above average because I see a lot of people complaining about Walmart but every time I go to my local one I just get my stuff, pay and leave like every other store.

Do they have everything I like? No but neither does any other store. The store is always clean, my regulars are in stock 95% of the time, bathrooms are well taken care of, workers are generally nice and helpful.

But yeah, getting asked for a receipt and walking by a couple police officers must be tough on some people. . .

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
This get rid of the greeters and have to prove yourself with your receipt is why I shop there no later than 6 am. This show the receipt thing grinds me, really, really grinds me. But Meijer is 20% more expensive so, like a trapped animal there I am.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

But yeah, getting asked for a receipt and walking by a couple police officers must be tough on some people

Listen I'm no princess, but when I go out to buy a salad or whatnot I would rather not risk my life. I also don't want to be hassled over a five buck purchase. I am spending money in their store, they should be happy to have me, not the other way around. It's things like this that chip away at personal freedoms little by little. Today it is checking a receipt, tomorrow it's scanning your face to link to a bank account....

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 02:54 PM
link   

TSA style pat downs should be next.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
Walmart personnel do seem to be a bit snotty but that's the attitude you take when the corporation tells you how to live and pay you peanuts....dance monkey dance!!!

We need more unions not less...Unite America!!
edit on 4-2-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I have stopped going to Walmart because of the receipt checking thing. They are presuming that you are a criminal.

Target doesn't do it.

I will shop at Target.

If you must shop at Walmart, buy a 24 pack of cans of soda. After you check out, push the receipt into the handle opening of the case of soda.... push it all the way down as far as your fingers will push it. If you really want to perturb them, do it within sight of them so they notice you doing it.
When they ask for your receipt, show them where you put it and tell them that it is all the way at the bottom.
I used to do that, and they would just wave me through.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Walmart personnel do seem to be a bit snotty but that's the attitude you take when the corporation tells you how to live and pay you peanuts....dance monkey dance!!!

We need more unions not less...Unite America!!

I don't know if I would call it snotty. They obviously don't want to be there and they despise humanity, that it how I would explain it.

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
I r!

Edit to add. The Walmart in question is in a very nice safe area. I can't even imagine a Walmart in a rough part of town. Do they pat people down or what?

Nah on the rough side they stand there watching too horrified to intervene while the crackheads and junkies walk out brazenly with armfuls of stuff.
edit on 4/2/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

When I used to shop at Walmart I would just keep walking. Even if they receipt checker tried calling out to me. I would just keep on walking. I was never stopped or held against my will.

My reasons for not shopping at Walmart is that there is nothing there that I buy.

I don't buy produce from Walmart. I don't buy electronics, or clothing, or anything. It's crap quality.

Sure they have toiletries, and stuff like that, but I can get that from a Kroger, or Publix, or wherever.

I buy good sturdy quality ware mostly, and Walmart stuff is low grade.

When I buy fancy attire I definitely don't go to Walmart.

I don't buy my ammunition from Walmart, they don't carry any professional level camera gear. Their tools suck, their car stuff sucks.

I can't think of one reason why I'd want to go to Walmart.

I enjoy going to specific stores that specialize in what I'm looking for. It always me to build a good relationship with local experts and hobbyists. Learn about wheres and whens and events. Also, I've found that the return policies and waranties are usually better.

Overall it's just generally a more pleasant experience.

I go in to one of my favorite stores, look and see if there's anything new. Talk to the men or women working for a bit if they're not busy. Maybe buy something or order something.

Idk. It's a community thing. You either get it or you don't I guess. I understand that a lot of people would rather stay locked in their houses with their favorite source of entertainment telling them what to think, and order things from the internet to get delivered straight to your door, so you never have to deal with other people and live in your bubble.

But, I prefer getting outside talking to people and making friends. I'm big in community involvement and doing what I can to help out those around me.

Walmart is pretty much the complete opposite of everything I enjoy or believe in.

Everything is impersonal. Everyone looks like they're disgusted just being there and being around other people. Employees walk away, ignore you, or mumble because they can't even do their job properly.

There is no camaraderie, and you're treated like a potential criminal. It's disgraceful.
edit on 422020 by AutomateThis1 because: Spelling

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join