It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of F-35s have wrong fasteners

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think a lot of issues can come from dissimilar metals, where the corrosive properties are enhanced by ionic exchange across the 2 metals, where either metal alone would be resistant.

posted on Feb, 21 2020 @ 04:42 AM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox
Such as salt air or heavy moisture...Triple protection is the standard I think in structures assembly..Fastener plating...primer and then sealant between mating surfaces..

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger
And in many cases a fourth and fifth layer of paint and a barrier compound like Ardrox are put on as well.

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
Oops. Sounds like that could be a costly undertaking. I'm a little surprised that they're considering leaving them as is. I would think they would at least tear one down and double check the Titanium bolt strength. Lockheed is saying they're made double the strength of acceptable grade.

Ti bolts $5 Inconel $20 surely they weren't shaving cost? Which would be peanuts with their budget.

When the first plane will fall out of the sky they will start to worry and decide if work needs to be done..

posted on Feb, 22 2020 @ 05:38 AM
link   
a reply to: zatara

I seriously doubt it's going to get anywhere near that far. Between unit level inspections and Depot maintenance any corrosion from this will be found pretty quickly.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join