It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reaction Videos and Why They are Popular

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I'm trying to get away from the political side of ATS and stick to what I love, instead of what I hate.

I love music.

My daughter is a huge fan of youtube and reaction videos. So are millions of others, apparently. Why is this? Why do people like to watch others reacting to videos?

Are their own emotional connections and responses not enough? Do they need validation? Just to see someone confirm how they feel about a certain song or person?

So...my daughter was watching some terrible video game guy and I couldn't tolerate it so I searched for and suggested a vocal coach reaction (she loves to sing). And I loved what I watched. My daughter was entranced. Which, too, I think is OK?

Why do we enjoy watching others react to something we like? Is it just the validation? If so, why do we need that now? I've never needed it before...it never existed before.

The video below isn't what I started my girl with but, it's become a favorite of mine.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Admitted

It can be fun to watch people who have never heard something you love hear it for the first time.

I guess some people have stronger reactions to music than others. It can be cool to watch people discover something that hits them the way it did you. Also cool to suggest and share music you love with people who have never heard it.

I like these guys.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: FauxMulder

That's very true. Like watching your favorite movie with someone who hasn't seen it before.

Also, I remember watching those guys once, in that vid you posted. It was a Pantera song and they were discussing the lyrics. Phil Anselmo chimed in in their comment section.

ETA: I guess youtube and reaction videos are just easier. Why find a friend to share with when we can just watch a stranger with a click?
edit on 1/30/2020 by Admitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I'd like to add.

The reaction videos are almost all favorable. They are all excited.

I'm sure some are turned off, critical, but not many.

And we search for what we like. No one wants a downer. It's difficult at times to remember that the popular ones are making money off of this. And they know what they are doing.

I love to hear a professional vocal coach talk up my favorite singer. I can't tell you why, but I do. It could be all lies.

Why do I (we) keep clicking this stuff?

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I'm guilty to : )

Especially like Nightwish and Floor ( The singer) reactions.

Here is a beauty:

edit on 30-1-2020 by EartOccupant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: EartOccupant

That is a gem.

Nightwish did a Gary Moore song (over the hills and far away). They are beautiful.

This reviewer...I'm not sure I like her...lol...but I'd LOVE to hear her sing.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I should have said in OP but...

Please everyone share your favorite reaction videos here. I'd love to know what you all like to watch and hear.

Even better, why you like to watch and hear.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

I haven't watched many reaction videos, don't really like most of them, but I have seen a few vocal coach react ones. Personally, I like them because, at least the person i watched, went through the whole song and explained what the singer was doing. What they did well, where they could have done better. It was educational more than anything. I don't remember who it was, but I remember she did a live version of Disturbed's cover of sound of silence. Apparently, he's actually a really good singer.

edit on 30/1/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: dug88

You've got my number.

This was one of the first I watched. It's a song for the ages.

Disturbed does nothing for me. But their singer works at his craft. And he does well.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Sorry, I got caught up in the coincidence.

You described the watching as more educational? Do you watch reaction videos for educational purposes?

Some of them are certainly knowledgeable and can be helpful.

I'm curious if that is the case and it's not just for pleasure.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Here is a nice one

A dutch Opera singer sings "Lose Yourself" ..

If you ever wanted to actually hear the lyrics.. I suggest listening to this : )

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Best rock reaction video ever :

edit on 30-1-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

www.youtube.com...
edit on 30-1-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

Your video isn't working.

ETA: got it from link. No Life Shaq is great...

watching.
edit on 1/30/2020 by Admitted because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Ha! They didn't ban you.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted

You've got my number.

This was one of the first I watched. It's a song for the ages.

Disturbed does nothing for me. But their singer works at his craft. And he does well.

One of my favorites. I would encourage any music fan to check it out.

"Powerful" is an understatement.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Admitted

Sorry, I got caught up in the coincidence.

You described the watching as more educational? Do you watch reaction videos for educational purposes?

Some of them are certainly knowledgeable and can be helpful.

I'm curious if that is the case and it's not just for pleasure.

It depends. Some are educational, as far as vocal technique, and approach. Some are just pure entertainment.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Kel and Rich are fun to watch. Mostly because her reaction to songs seems so natural and honest due to her upbringing.

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
The vocal coach ones are alright to watch. For reasons already stated.

But the vast majority of them in my opinion are trash. The ones where people react to funny videos, or memes, or makeup, or toys. Especially when the reactions aren't genuine and they've seen the videos before. Then, you realize that many of these reactioners are getting paid by the view to react. Straight trash. Almost worse than influencers.

Even more annoying are the videos where they edit their voice into that annoying high pitched chipmunk laugh.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Yeah she went into details about music theory and singing styles. Stuff I didn't know because I haven't had singing lessons or vocal coaching before.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
Ha! They didn't ban you.

I think they did now.

Good thing. One less person posting anti-Trump messages.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join