It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 old satellites will buzz each other over Pittsburgh tonight. Here's how to see the space junk.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Two satellites on a very close tracking could possibly collide, one of the satellites, GGSE-4 has a 59-foot (18 m) boom sticking out and those tracking don't know the orientation of that satellite.
You will be able to get as much info that's available from the link, while it's likely that viewing could be limited, certainly it won't be visible to all.

Extract,
'The two satellites in question are the Infrared Astronomical Satellite (IRAS), launched in 1983 and the Gravity Gradient Stabilization Experiment (GGSE-4), which was put into orbit back in 1967. '

'Closest approach is expected to come at 6:39:35 p.m. EST (2339 GMT). At that moment, the two space vehicles will be soaring directly above the city of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.'

www.space.com...
edit on 29-1-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   
For the first time im actually hoping there is a space accident!!!

Would it actually explode or create sparks or anything or just two lumps of metal bashing into each other and nothing happens.

Space is big though so they probably wont hit

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 05:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs
For the first time im actually hoping there is a space accident!!!

Would it actually explode or create sparks or anything or just two lumps of metal bashing into each other and nothing happens.

Space is big though so they probably wont hit

Space is not so big when they are as close as this on a collision kind of course, and one has a 59' boom sticking, so if they hit there would surely be debris, and you might even get your er, flash.
The orbits are high so there could be much less chance of low orbit 'drag'.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Space is big. They MISSED each other. It's over.
edit on 1/29/2020 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Space s big. They MISSED each other. It's over.

That's okay then...er, by how much? I haven't looked yet, when I made the thread the news was only 6 minutes old, that's if the timer works correctly of course.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
According to the map they would be over Omer MI.

But who really knows for sure.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

150ft 47meters ..

Local news was on live when it was supposed to happen, this is what they reported.
edit on 29-1-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

Crewe brought KDKA’s cameras up to the roof at the Carnegie Science Center to talk about what this means for Pittsburghers on the ground.

“It’s not guaranteed that it’s going to collide, but if it does, any fragments that fall to earth are going to hit the atmosphere at tremendous speed and burn up, much like a shooting star,” he says. “In fact, if you do see anything, it will look sort of like a burst of shooting stars almost.”

As I stated in this thread..www.abovetopsecret.com...
I saw nothing.
Here's a pic..
pic of cloudy night brightened..

edit on 29-1-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

150ft 47meters ..

Local news was on live when it was supposed to happen, this is what they reported.

Crewe brought KDKA’s cameras up to the roof at the Carnegie Science Center to talk about what this means for Pittsburghers on the ground.

“It’s not guaranteed that it’s going to collide, but if it does, any fragments that fall to earth are going to hit the atmosphere at tremendous speed and burn up, much like a shooting star,” he says. “In fact, if you do see anything, it will look sort of like a burst of shooting stars almost.”

I saw nothing.
Here's a pic..

Good work there,
What I can't figure out is why Space.com were so late with their report, you would think they would have been on top of it from a popular point of view.

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: smurfy

150ft 47meters ..

I saw nothing.
Here's a pic..

Good work there,
What I can't figure out is why Space.com were so late with their report, you would think they would have been on top of it from a popular point of view.

Hehe... I learned of it from ATS.
Then I went to live science.
Here..www.livescience.com...

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 08:55 PM
link   

I used some high tech tools to enhance your image and here is what I ended up with....

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xtrozero

I used some high tech tools to enhance your image and here is what I ended up with....

Admittedly this is an accurate portrayal of how I went about this evening's viewing event here in Pittsburgh.
Johny and I tried out his Blue Walker...

posted on Jan, 30 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   
a reply to: mikell

DANG

Was hoping for an earth shattering KABOOM ……...

top topics

join